Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Flack vest build

• 4 Replies
Flack vest build
« on: Oct 29, 2021, 02:05 AM »
Hi Guys. Iam constructing my flack vest.
I have the template cut and sewn. I have the shoulders attached.the cape and good weathering should hide my terrible sewing.  :D
What is the best method of completing the closure.
Should it finish off at the back  so it can be covered by the back plate.
Should I use Velcro, elastic or snaps.
Has anyone got some decent pics of their closure please.
This has been by far the most difficult part.
Thanks guys iam looking forward to any replys.

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
Re: Flack vest build
« Reply #1 on: Oct 29, 2021, 03:55 AM »
Hi Guys. Iam constructing my flack vest.
I have the template cut and sewn. I have the shoulders attached.the cape and good weathering should hide my terrible sewing.  :D
What is the best method of completing the closure.
Should it finish off at the back  so it can be covered by the back plate.
Should I use Velcro, elastic or snaps.
Has anyone got some decent pics of their closure please.
This has been by far the most difficult part.
Thanks guys iam looking forward to any replys.

Where you choose to have the closure is up to you, as the closure does not need to be completely hidden, unlike with boots. Things to consider are ease of donning and removal, style, and how youíll be attaching your plates.

Personally, I am not particularly fond of back closures, as they require the assistance of other people to close up the back. The only benefit is that the closure is completely hidden, which some people like. Another option is a front closure. This is my personal favorite. A front closing vest is the easiest to get into and out of. However, the armor plates need to be removed and reattached each time you get into or out of your kit. I solved that issue by not attaching my plates at all; rather, joining them together with straps and wearing them over my vest. The third option is side closures. These are not quite as easy to get into or out of as front closures, but much easier than back closures, and can still be donned without assistance. The main benefit, is you can permanently attach all of your platesóback and frontóto the vest and still open the vest closures.

As for the type of closures, zippers do not need to be completely covered, they simply need to be color matched. The only part of a zipper that needs to be hidden is the pull tab. Velcro needs to be completely hidden. Buckles also work, particularly for side closures. Laces, too, are a possible option for closures, though would require assistance in tying if used on the sides or back. My vest has a front zipper for the closure. The zipper is color matched, and thus doesnít need to be covered. My pull tab is covered by my collar plate.

jethroskull

• Haat Gai
« Reply #2 on: Oct 29, 2021, 12:05 PM »
My vest has a full-length zip that goes up to the base of my skull (covers the neck completely). I use a key leash to pull it up (like a wetsuit or LBD).

Art by Jennari Nadorr

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 15+ invasions Medic Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #3 on: Oct 30, 2021, 11:10 PM »
I'm a fan of the side closure method, personally.  Mine is elastic (with chain mail underneath the elastic), so it's cooler, easier to bend/move around in general and I can put it on myself.  I tried the back zipper method as my second vest (Personally hated it but it works and you can easily hide the closures).  Then I made this style as my third vest, love it a lot.

You're more then welcome to poke around in my softs thread to see my build for the vest (link in my signature box) but a better source for how I went about building it is my Vod'ika's softs thread.  This shows my building methods much better.  (aka I remembered to take picture during the build)

Vod'ika's Softs
https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=203568.0

Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened. -Dr. Seuss

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet
WIP Weapons Post Imperial Build

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #4 on: Oct 31, 2021, 02:26 AM »
This is my vest. Itís a front closing vest, very easy to get into and out of, and quite comfortable. It also came with a holster ( though, I couldnít use it since itís a right-handed holster).

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!