Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Soft Parts Buy List

• 3 Replies
Soft Parts Buy List
« on: Oct 26, 2021, 08:40 PM »
Hello all,

I am looking to finally make my first Mando suit and wanted to see if these items will work for my soft parts. I know it'll also depend on their fit and hiding certain elements and such. But I just want to know if I have a solid beginning here.

Portwest Workwear Mens Zip Boilersuit https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00Q2U1KIS/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_D4M478MZB23EPES65KQN?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.military1st.co.uk/10706002-mil-tec-ranger-vest-black.html

Grafters Mens Leather Pull On Chelsea Steel Toe Cap Work Safety Ankle Boots Shoes Size 6-12 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B078XGNCTG/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_GG1PG5VCQ250K6RPFSEG?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
UNISEX MEN LADIES FINGERLESS REAL LEATHER CYCLING GYM DRIVING WHEEL CHAIR GLOVES https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B013TDDVGO/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_EC2BHH6V3XEM76WKC4RG?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Scottish Filmmaker and Propmaker

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
Re: Soft Parts Buy List
« Reply #1 on: Oct 26, 2021, 10:22 PM »
Everything looks good except the vest. While most of the zipper is covered, not all of it is. Now, that wouldn’t be a problem but for the fact that an exposed zipper has to be color matched to the vest. That vest has a brass zipper on a black vest. That will get kicked back because the zipper is exposed at the neck. The other problem is that regardless of the color of the zipper, the pull tab must be covered.

I wear a vest with a zipper front closure. My zipper is black, just like the rest of my vest, and the pull tab is hidden by my armor’s collar plate.

If you want to use that vest, you would need to add an additional flap to the neck that completely covers the rest of the zipper as well as the pull tab.

« Reply #2 on: Oct 27, 2021, 08:30 AM »
Perfect, thanks for the advice and input!

Like I said I knew they'd all need a little work, and I indeed planned to use the fabric from one of those pockets to cover the top of the zip. Since my panels will cover all of those pockets I'd rather lose them and have the spare fabric.

Scottish Filmmaker and Propmaker

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #3 on: Oct 27, 2021, 11:24 AM »
Perfect, thanks for the advice and input!

Like I said I knew they'd all need a little work, and I indeed planned to use the fabric from one of those pockets to cover the top of the zip. Since my panels will cover all of those pockets I'd rather lose them and have the spare fabric.

I’m of the opposite mind regarding those pockets. Since they’re covered up anyway, I would leave them alone. Why make a garment less functional? My flight suit is a set of BDUs, I did not remove the pockets from the shirt, nor do I plan to, specifically because they are covered by my vest and armor. If I want to wear them without my armor, with just my open vest—or without it entirely—I have a fully functional set of pockets if I need them. I didn’t do any modifications to my vest and the only mod I did to my BDU shirt was to add a neck flap to close up the front of the neck and create a neck seal. The same is true of my utility belt and gun belt and holster. I have done no subtractive modifications, only adding pouches, tools, or greeblies where necessary to spruce them up, and painting the parachute buckles used on them and my armor.

If you don’t want pockets on your vest get a vest without pockets to begin with. If you want a vest with a front closing zipper, get one with a zipper that is color matched to the vest. Don’t make more work for yourself than you absolutely have to.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!