Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

OriKad's Medieval Mando Upgrades & Resubmission WIP

• 12 Replies

OriKad

• The Grizzled Old Sergeant of Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
OriKad's Medieval Mando Upgrades & Resubmission WIP
« on: Oct 28, 2021, 01:04 PM »
I've been asked by the Mand'alor and PersO to resubmit my main armor, as over the many years I've worn it, and a few rounds of Ruus'alor approved upgrades, it could have wandered farther into crossover territory than the current CRLs allow.  The timing of this couldn't have been much better, as I had started a BIG round of upgrades, and because it will help the app team when it comes time to resubmit, I'll actually do my best to show my work right here... No promises though.  I do tend to get so deep into the work flow that I forget to pause and take pictures.

So I'll start off with a recent picture of the kit as close to current as I have:

So, now for the bullet list of planned upgrades:
  • Metallize all plates with foil tape)
  • New flightsuit (hand dyed canvas)
  • New vest and kama (real leather)
  • Ditch scales and replace with woven leather
  • New leather half-chaps
  • Replace cat shoulder with layered Fett-style shoulder
  • Change spike on helmet for maybe mythosaur skull
  • New belt and girth, also real leather
  • Replace all pleather straps with real leather
  • Other small tweaks as necessary

Of course, I also plan to replace all the fake fur with real fur, but at this point the only fake fur left is the cape... and that's a LOT of rabbit pelts to get.  I'm saving that for the next upgrade.

So, with all that being said, I've only actually made progress on ONE part.  I have fully metallized the shknees.  Of course, they're going to be dirtied up once I can do all the plates together, and the final look will be a slightly dirty/rusty/tarnished brushed metal, as if it's been field cleaned hundreds if not thousands of times.

So have at it with the comments.  My skin is thick and there are a LOT of people here whose knowledge and experience I respect.

Odran Krayt

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din (Family is more than blood)
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023.
Re: OriKad's Medieval Mando Upgrades & Resubmission WIP
« Reply #1 on: Oct 28, 2021, 01:43 PM »
Looks like you have a solid plan on this, mostly can't wait to see these upgrades completed. Been upgrading my armor with more leather myself, it really gives a much nicer feel and look to a kit

B.O.M.B.  #85|L.O.B. #41|M.A. #180|MAJIC #184|B.o.B.B #028
New Death Watch Order #44|O.O.P.S! #44
ALUMINATI #053 | V.B.V #7
Odran Krayt WIP
Nexan Armories (Sales thread)
I've been doin' this since I was 10!

Aster Veris

• "Monarch of mud"
  • Awards EnviroOps Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #2 on: Oct 28, 2021, 09:01 PM »
So excited to see your upgrades! All of your work is freaking awesome and I have no comments because most of my experience comes from you  :laugh:

OM #2630 | BM #394 | they/them | mav oya'la clan |IG: @ plant.alorian | Aster WIP

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Award for 50 official invasions. Medic Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Special Weapons
« Reply #3 on: Oct 30, 2021, 09:52 PM »
Comment to follow.  Always loved this kit, can't wait to see what you do with it next!

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet
WIP Weapons [url=https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=

OriKad

• Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
« Reply #4 on: Nov 27, 2021, 03:27 PM »
So, I forgot to take pictures again... but I've got one now!

Aluminum and copper foil tape applied.  Brass foil for the visor surround still yet to come as soon as I can figure out how specifically I'm doing it (from the several options I have).  Silver mirrored visor and a new top crest still to come

Raynos Ge'tal

• Give me a call, I'll build with you.
  • Awards Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 15+ clan level invasions Donated four quarters of 2023. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #5 on: Dec 03, 2021, 02:08 PM »
I'm interested to see the durability of the foil tape.
Also going to be fun to see how you bring this back from crossover territory. I often use your kit to explain to foundlings abou the extreme limit of inspired kits.

|Joined 03/2017| Troop Total: 50

ishtob

• Aluminati
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023.
« Reply #6 on: Dec 04, 2021, 01:31 PM »
So, I forgot to take pictures again... but I've got one now!

Aluminum and copper foil tape applied.  Brass foil for the visor surround still yet to come as soon as I can figure out how specifically I'm doing it (from the several options I have).  Silver mirrored visor and a new top crest still to come

sooooo shinneeyyyy!!!! I love the idea of using foil tape to metalrize the armor. Can I ask how durable is the foil against scrapes/scratches? Are you going over with a clear coat or something to protect it?

Zark Lyall - OM #2494 - Firaxan Clan | Kit WIP   Kit 2 WIP  Metal Helmet WIP    Metal BoBF Boba WIP

OriKad

« Reply #7 on: Dec 04, 2021, 02:04 PM »
To answer the durability question, I've had foil tape on my swords for YEARS, and they've held up to a lot of being bumped around with only a little light surface scratching.  If you were going for shiny mirror reflective, the little scratches and scrapes that would collect on it would make it look bad, but for a brushed metal or a rough/weathered metal finish like mine, it's really ideal...  It also kinda sucks on curves.  The dome would have been impossible if I didn't have the tribal markings to make natural and somewhat hidden seam lines.

No clear coat required.  It'll pick up fingerprints and some light surface oxidation over time, but a once-over with a scouring pad will bring it back to its current shine.  And speaking of current shine, I'm gonna post more images of the FINISHED helmet in a few hours, when I get the last few touches done.

Edits to avoid double-posting:
So, once again I forgot to take pictures in the process, and I also couldn't get the brass to work right, but I did actually FINISH the helmet.  I'm 90% certain that I'm right on the 80/20 line, considering that every individual element or one like it appears in Star Wars visual media somewhere, just not necessarily combined in this way.  The strong medieval fantasy influence is still present, but as it was from the start, the goal is to be a Mandalorian with an up to 20% medieval theme.  Of course, whether I'm at the 20% mark is going to be somewhat subjective... It may not help that there's a LOT of medieval-ish and classical styles already present in Star Wars.

I still haven't decided whether I'm going to repaint the markings brown like they used to be or just leave them as outlines.

« Last Edit: Dec 04, 2021, 04:09 PM by OriKad » Logged

Jennari

• "I am the best. Always was." - Jango Fett
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022
« Reply #8 on: Dec 04, 2021, 04:18 PM »
I like it! Looks amazing!  :like:

« Reply #9 on: Dec 17, 2021, 07:43 PM »
Love your work, great job
"there's a LOT of medieval-ish and classical styles already present in Star Wars."
For sure.
Mandalorian helmet based on the barbute helmet.
Death star gunner helmet based on the sallet helmet
Darth Vader helmet/mask based on the samurai helmet/mask

OriKad

« Reply #10 on: Feb 11, 2023, 12:43 PM »
I've been completely forgetting to post progress here.  Short version: I've gone back and removed ALL the decorative rivets and added some sheet brass here and there, just to bring it even further back to the right side of the crossover line.  End result is going to be essentially a bare metal Mando with leather and fur, with vibroswords as a primary weapon.

First, the weapons.  Three sizes of sword and a pulse rifle (which got broken when it fell over in the hall, to be repaired soon).  I also intend to darken the wood stock a bit more.

Next, the torso.  The brigade logo will be covered during the re-app process until the whole thing is reapproved for the brigade.  Plates are connected together with stiff leather, covered in the same exact leather as the vest so that the plate harness straps are indistinguishable from the vest itself.  I may or may not tack stitch them TO the vest depending on whether it's needed.  The stiff straps maintain proper and consistent plate spacing.

New and improved oversized left shoulder!  This time influenced by the Hoth shield generator in design to bring more "tech" back to the overall look.

And finally... The helmet!  Some Din Djarin influence replaced the old purely medieval styling, and the wookiee braids are now removable!  Still have to finish the engraving.

« Last Edit: Feb 11, 2023, 01:19 PM by OriKad » Logged

OriKad

« Reply #11 on: Feb 14, 2023, 01:27 PM »
Today's update!  Repaired and finished the pulse rifle.

And finished the shknees.  Picture is the almost-finished state.  Might add some padding to get them sitting better on my legs after a test fit.

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Award for 50 official invasions. Medic Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Special Weapons
« Reply #12 on: Feb 15, 2023, 07:55 PM »
Fabulous work as always!  Always loved your build.

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet
WIP Weapons [url=https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!