Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Combat Boot Shoe Lace Cover Template (Thanks Tahl Taab)

• 25 Replies

Davin Kee

• You can do ANYTHING.........Once.
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
I'm in the military and I have an old pair of Belleville black combat boots. I was wondering if these would be good for my armor. And if not what do I need to do to make it work. I enclosed a link to show ner vod what the boots look like. Let me know what you think. If you want to see my armor just check out my picture. Vor'e!

http://www.lapolicegear.com/be700stwabls.html

« Last Edit: Jan 04, 2010, 10:37 AM by Davin Kee » Logged
Official Merc since 20100405
Davin Kee V3.0
Weapons

No'saj Huune

• Nomad in Killeen/Ft. Hood
Re: Military Issued Combat Boots
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2010, 05:21 PM »
Nice choice of boots, I have a pair myself ;D

Just about any boot will do, though Tac-Boots are the best IMHO, but you'll have to cover up the laces somehow.  There's a tutorial by Tahl Taab that can be found at the following link on how to make your boots look like Clone Trooper boots which would work out best for your costume:

http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=9862.0

Those who wander aren't always lost.

Canderous Falco

• I'm the memer they call when things go wrong.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2010, 05:32 PM »
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Use the old black Basic Training boots I was issued back in the BDU days (all gortex and leather. Clunky, but sturdy). Was just contemplating the laces...

I was thinking of basically using some black sintra to create "gaiters" that would just wrap around the upper portion, and stick to itself with velcro...

Tahl Taab

• Tahl Buir shall return!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2010, 05:35 PM »
Yeah those are comfy boots,  I have the desert issue gor-tex ones and swear by them.
But for my next set I'm planning on using my summer DCU issue boots and just some simple sheet aluminum cut out and shaped to form some plates and a toe cup similar to a galactic marines, but with a separate Boba styled toe spike set up of some sort. Luckily uncle Sam helped me to weather my boots for a while so I just need to take care of the aluminum stuff. If you follow what I'll be posting later and want a template I'll work it out on a 9X11 piece of paper and post it or email it to ya. I gotta do some painting and make another gauntlet first but I'll be starting these boots with in the week sometime.

Davin Kee

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2010, 08:11 PM »
Vor'e ner vod!

Your responses are exactly what I was looking for. I'm just trying to plan ahead. I have my bucket and rifle almost done. Next is the soft kits then my armor. Vor'e!

Davin Kee V3.0
Weapons

Canderous Falco

« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2010, 08:33 PM »
Sweet! Although... I feel obligated to add that those boots werent all THAT comfy when I was first issued them years ago... However, now that they're really really broken in... You said you're using the Desert version (I presume the All Weather ones, not the summers)? Hm. I thought of that, too, but then again, they dont really match my armor, so... But the black does! Dont suppose you could pm or email me that stuff too, Tahl?

Davin Kee

« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2010, 08:55 PM »
Mine are worn in very nicely, I've only had them for 4 years.

Davin Kee V3.0
Weapons

No'saj Huune

• Nomad in Killeen/Ft. Hood
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2010, 09:04 PM »
...so... But the black does! Dont suppose you could pm or email me that stuff too, Tahl?

Me too please?  Boots are the last part of my kit and would appreciate it  :)

Those who wander aren't always lost.

Tahl Taab

« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2010, 09:59 PM »
No problem borthers, I'll have a working template in a few days and I'll check back here to see if anyone else needs a temp before  I get a master email list ready to deedee out.

FYI, my boots are a 10.5 so if you print out a few different scaled prints and do a cardboard mock up before you commit to metal, plastic or whatever you're using, it'll make it much easier and less of a hassle realizing they are to big or to small.

I'll even play around with different attaching methods to see what holds in the sole of these boots, I'm gonna give rivets a shot first though, so hopefully that'll work for the look I want but we'll see...

Canderous Falco

« Reply #9 on: Jan 03, 2010, 10:05 PM »
Kandosii

Davin Kee

« Reply #10 on: Jan 03, 2010, 10:19 PM »
The rivets would work the best. I'm not sure if you've seen them but there is a zipper sold at clothing issue that I used to have. You just thread the boot strings threw the rivets on the boots and zipper, you could do the same on the cover. I wear the same size boots so it'll be easy for me to use the temp.

Davin Kee V3.0
Weapons

Canderous Falco

« Reply #11 on: Jan 04, 2010, 12:07 AM »
Mine are 10... I think... Been so long, I cant really remember, and the size is faded to where I cant read it anymore. Mine are usually around that. No smaller than 9.5, no bigger than 10.5 (different makers have different sizing scales)... I should be good, though. The template will give me a baseline, at least.

Praetor Ordo

• Ibic cuyi haar yusta
Re: Combat Boot Shoe Lace Cover Template (Thanks Tahl Taab)
« Reply #12 on: Jan 04, 2010, 04:50 PM »
I'm using a good set of black jungles for my boot.  I'm planning on using the zipper to close it and probably a set of snaps to hook the boot armor on.  The sole will be thick enough for the toe spikes and I also plan to put my gold spurs on it (bes'uliik war droid rider[/i]).

And don't worry, my fellow veterans, I have earned my spurs.

Canderous Falco

« Reply #13 on: Jan 04, 2010, 05:04 PM »
Mandalorian Cav? Do we even have a word for that??

Congrats on getting Gold, at any rate :)

Praetor Ordo

• Ibic cuyi haar yusta
« Reply #14 on: Jan 04, 2010, 08:03 PM »
Yeah...

bes'uliik ramikad

Canderous Falco

« Reply #15 on: Jan 04, 2010, 09:40 PM »
That's not cavalry... I dont think... idk... it seems to me like calling a Claymore a knife....

Basilisk War Droid vs Horse....

Besides, those mandos actually RIDE their mounts.... You guys just put them on patches and things.

Silly cavalry.... I suppose I should be thankful we're not from Great Britain (shaking fist in air); you'd probably try to pull out something like that one general in Iraq had: "Household Parachute Horse Artillery Guard." WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?!

That's like, 4 things in one. How do you do that? I've never seen a horse para-dropped into a warzone, let alone with a cannon behind it and a couple of those guys with the big funny bearskins on their heads.... I'm just sayin....

« Reply #16 on: Jan 05, 2010, 02:05 AM »
thank you for this thread... I now know how to cover the laces on MY basic training boots. I was going to try and plate it up, but this seems soooooo much easier and sensable. Thanks again!

Heres to you, heres to me. Friends forever we shall be. If in times we disagree "forget" you, heres to me!

Tahl Taab

« Reply #17 on: Jan 07, 2010, 02:32 PM »

Ok I'm caught up on my new gaunts and a few other V2 things shy of some paint. For the DCU boot plate up I'm planning on using I think it's something like 22 - 18 ga aluminum (not sure of the gauge but it's a hair or two over 1/16th of an inch) anyway, I'm planing on a toe piece, a heel piece, some sole strips, and something to cover the laces. If you guys like what I come up with you're more than welcome to follow in suit.

Davin Kee

« Reply #18 on: Jan 07, 2010, 06:32 PM »
All I really need is something to cover the laces. My boots have enough weathering to look good without any other plates.

Davin Kee V3.0
Weapons

Canderous Falco

« Reply #19 on: Jan 07, 2010, 08:27 PM »
Kinda what I was thinking.... Plate for the ankle/upper foot area... Toes aren't important- heck, I got 10 of 'em...

« Reply #20 on: Jan 13, 2010, 03:46 AM »
Is it really neccessary to cover the laces?
They seem the most practical way to do up a boot, that's why we use 'em.  And Mandos are rather practical people....  it'd seem to fit, no?

Tahl Taab

« Reply #21 on: Jan 13, 2010, 08:04 AM »
I'll be getting an update of those plates for the combat boot cover up soon. I tried a few things and it didn't look right and flopped around so I had to start over. I do have what I think will be a good solid method but I have to make the plate for it, should still be able to tie and untie the boots no problem by the way. Keep your fingers crossed  ;)

Canderous Falco

« Reply #22 on: Jan 13, 2010, 01:20 PM »
Is it really neccessary to cover the laces?
They seem the most practical way to do up a boot, that's why we use 'em.  And Mandos are rather practical people....  it'd seem to fit, no?

Unfortunately, yes- they just put it out (yesterday, I think) in the new guidelines for costumes here.

"The bootlaces must be covered..." :-/

Dar'manda

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #23 on: Jan 13, 2010, 01:53 PM »
Look at any in-universe picture of a mandalorian, boba, jango, jaster, jodo, etc...none of their boots have laces.  Keep in mind we're looking at "a galaxay far, far away".  They don't use such "earthly" things to do up their boots.

« Reply #24 on: Jan 13, 2010, 05:25 PM »
Got it, just read the updated standards...

I guess I'm just a few months too late to the boot-laces showing party.  And here I've got a dozen pairs of nicely weathered combat boots... all of which would look somewhat ridiculous with spats.

Ah well, time to go shopping!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!