Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

staining leather..

• 3 Replies
staining leather..
« on: Dec 11, 2009, 08:28 PM »
just got rid of our old leather sofas but salvaged some of the leather from the backs...

just wondering if theres a good way to stain it as its a very pale yellow clour much like commnader cody yellow...

im not up on the ranking systems or "official" attire but i'd like a kid of cape etc

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
Re: staining leather..
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2009, 08:49 PM »
You'll want to get some leather dye, available at your local leather supplier (such as Tandy's) or online. There should, I believe, be something in the tutorials on leather dyeing, and if not, use the search function and something should come up.

And yes, you can have a cape. I suggest checking out the CRLs, which cover the do's and don'ts, but capes are definitely acceptable.

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

Aysel

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2009, 11:04 PM »
the manufacture's web site of the dye you get should have tutorials on how to successfully dye your leather, keep in mind that it can smell really bad to dye leather so you might want to do it in a well ventilated area

tal nu'gotalu verd - ijaat vaabi
MAJIC (Mandos against jetpacks in combat) member #001

M5 #33

Carter

• Awards Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2010, 11:39 PM »
Well to be honest, there's alot you can do to dye leather, and not all leather can be dyed. Most of your untreated suede can be dyed with ritz dye, found at walmart.  Alot of stuff used on sofa's is already sealed, which means the leather will not dye well (the rough side will, but the smooth side will only darken a little) Stripping the leather isn't really worth the effort most of the time.

For a weathered look on veggy tan leather, do several light coats of thinned out leather dye. This will give you an aged look where some of the leather is darker than others.  Also if your dying a soft part, something that needs to remain highly flexable, than if you use an alchol based dye, you may need to go back and use neat's foot oil or conditioner to keep the leather from cracking. Water based dyes will not crack as quickly, but if the item is seeing heavy use, than a  little oil worked in always helps.  If you have any questions, feel free to ask, I make leather armor for my other hobby.

M.A.J.I.C. #118

Join The Mercs, Visit exotic places, meet strange people, then kill them.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!