Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Whats going on with my paint?

• 15 Replies
Whats going on with my paint?
« on: Jan 05, 2010, 02:57 PM »
When i was painting my armor, it did this:

I was wondering if anyone knew why.

It did it last night too, so today i sanded them and the primer did it this time. I have painted plenty of diferent things, and this has never happened before.

Mereelajum

• "Last Man Standing" - Daniel Logan
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
Re: Whats going on with my paint?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2010, 03:00 PM »
From being cold?

Sounds like a plan.....
Mereel A’denla formerly of Wampa Clan

« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2010, 03:03 PM »
Could that do it?

Normally its not 43 in Florida, so ive never painted in this weather.

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2010, 03:14 PM »
If you have two different brand of paints, two different type ie enamel vs acryllic or if you have two different colors of Krylon Fusion layered, it can cause that. It's called paint lifting.

The only way to fix it is to sand it all the way down, the whole plate and start over. When you do so, avoid Krylon Fusion paints and make sure all of your paints are either acryllics or enamels, no mixing and use the same brand for all colors.

Dar'manda

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2010, 03:16 PM »
Could be any number of things.  If your armor is weathered...just write it off as weathering. :P

« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2010, 03:22 PM »
Ok thanks guys, Yeah the primer and paint were difereent brands, and I was going to write it off as weathering but there ended up to be way too much. if it happens a little bit again i probably will.

It would look cool as weathering, but like i said there was way too much.

Rego Kezz

• "Game Over!"
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2010, 10:37 PM »
The main problem will be the chipping. I had the same problem at some areas of my armor. The paint chipped choff when i snipped my fingers against the plates (and i used the same color brands). To avoid this,just let each layer of paint dry for 1 or 2 days,even if the manufacturer of the spray can says,that you can apply the next layer after 6 hours.

Mar'eyce

• Ma-ray-shay
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2010, 06:41 PM »
I recently had the same thing happen when I mixed paint types. If one of the paints is Krylon, it 's a recipe for disaster...as I have recently learned myself. :P

The best thing to do is sand and start over with high quality paints produced by the same manufacturer.

TheMandoMan

• MMCC #0001
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2010, 06:59 PM »
If your armor is weathered...just write it off as weathering. :P

That's what I do.   :D

I've had the same thing happen, and I'm fairly certain it was the cold that caused it for me.  I started repainting all my plates around October, when it was still fairly warm, and had no problems.  Then I painted up some new knees early December and had some major paint wrinkling.

"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later." -Mitch Hedberg

Mar'eyce

• Ma-ray-shay
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2010, 07:28 PM »
I think humidity can also be a factor. On the day I had my own wrinkly paint disaster, it was both humid and chilly. Not exactly ideal conditions for painting.  :rolleyes:

« Reply #10 on: Jan 07, 2010, 04:56 PM »
Im guessing its the cold, i just painted kyrlon on krylon from the same can and it did it again.
Its so cold its actually suppose to snow tomorrow night/saturday morning!

SNOW! IN FLORIDA!!!
so yeah its alot colder than im use to.

Cdr. Ch'ren Jud'se

• Last official Verd'ika with no relatives in!
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #11 on: Jan 08, 2010, 11:26 AM »
look on the back of the can, it should say what tempiture to paint at

Teren Clan
« Reply #12 on: Jan 08, 2010, 05:45 PM »
I just had the same thing happen to me. I was trying to reapint the armor with white krylon (non fusion) primer and it was just cracking all over the place.
I decided the easiest and most non insane thing for me to do at this point was to scrap this set of armor completly and shell out for a new set. Also I wasnt really happy with the battle damage that the prwevious owner did to the armor so now I can do my own damage.
But I'll keep in mind and wont be using krylon agianon my armor and will use Rustoleum.

Corvax

« Reply #13 on: Jan 09, 2010, 06:57 PM »
I've had it happen under all the circumstances.

2 different kinds of paints. 
2 of the same kind (Krylon Fusion) of paints.
Too cold.
Too humid.

Florida this time of year sucks to be painting in.  That's why I'm working on my soft goods for now.

- Founder and Supreme Leader of the "Legion Of Snarky Troopers", LOST. -
"If  you whine long enough, someone will eventually hear you. If you keep whining after you're heard, someone will eventually shoot you."

Frost K'Amon

• We will bury them!
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #14 on: Jan 11, 2010, 10:27 AM »
I've also noticed that paint lifting seems to happen when the sanded surface is not quite smoothe enough and allows small air bubbles to form under the paint.

Kebii'tra Verda

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #15 on: Jan 13, 2010, 07:08 AM »
Question: is your armor made from the Trash Can templates? If so then you will need Fusion for Plastic paint and will need to definitely let it dry for a couple of days to really sink in. I have trash can armor and that's what I had to do and it's still holding up after over a year with no chipping. I found the best (for me at least) Fusion to use is the Hammered Metal. Even after you paint over it with other colors, it will give the illusion of being out of metal instead of plastic.

David.

#0127a Kebii'tra Verda
267th Brigade "Remo's Raiders"
Above and Beyond

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!