Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Aquatic Post-Imp Build- APPROVED-Naia Toa

• 122 Replies

Fenn Beviin

• MMCC #: 2116
  • Awards Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member
Re: Aquatic Post-Imp Build
« Reply #75 on: Apr 25, 2022, 01:30 PM »
Looking really good!  :like:

"Try not to become a man of success, but a man of value."

Instagram: mythos_fenn_shysa

Mythos Fenn Arms (A Sales Thread): https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=174182.msg2066382#new

Fenn Shysa WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=80765.0

Blaster Addiction - So many Blasters: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=110659.msg1820500

EricL

• Rhasvuul Zeg
« Reply #76 on: Apr 25, 2022, 06:52 PM »
This kit is fantastic! Layers of detail, you can enjoy it at a glance but it’s so rewarding to notice all the little stuff. The shoulders are my favorite, the extra material added gives it a crabby look I think, overlapping plates streamlined. Really good. And the belt boxes are really nice, I think I missed them in your WIP somewhere? What are they made of?

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Award for 50 official invasions. Medic Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Special Weapons
« Reply #77 on: Apr 25, 2022, 07:36 PM »
This kit is fantastic! Layers of detail, you can enjoy it at a glance but it’s so rewarding to notice all the little stuff. The shoulders are my favorite, the extra material added gives it a crabby look I think, overlapping plates streamlined. Really good. And the belt boxes are really nice, I think I missed them in your WIP somewhere? What are they made of?

Thanks!   So, I completely forgot to take progress pics of the boxes as I made them.  The base is an Altoids Tin.  I clip them to my belt with the super cheap money clips you can get on Amazon ($2 a piece when I got them).  Sanded the back of the clip and box to rough them up then glued the clips to the back of the box with JB Steel Weld.  It's a two part mixture stuff.  The Altoids lid itself is stamped metal so I made Sintra rectangles and glued them to the top with E6000 clamped in place for maybe 45 minutes or so.  The leather closure strap is just some scrap left over from all the other leather bits from the kit.  The strap is held down with a button rivet.  I think that's what it's called.   Made all six in a an afternoon.  Painted them up with some black spray paint.  Navy acrylic paint on the step down for color depth and some beads for decoration.

Supplies to make another if I wanted to.

The leather strap also wraps entirely around the box and is glued in place with contact cement.

Also we just had an armor party and we were helping one of our recruits take pre-app photos so I thought I might take some as well.  I already see at least one more thing I need to take care of before this kit can go to apps but it's just a little thing so shouldn't take me more then an evening once I find the fabric remainders from the flight suit.

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet
WIP Weapons [url=https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=

Cattriss Wren

• "Vurel verburyc, draar solus"
« Reply #78 on: Apr 25, 2022, 09:49 PM »
Awesome job as always!!! I'm sad that this build is almost over :'(  I loved watching it!! You have done such a good job. I got to ask though, do you have a life time supply of Altoids mints now from buying all the tins?  :laugh:

my armor. http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=203296.0

"Mandalorians don't make threats. We make promises"

"Everyone has a struggle in life. The key is turning that struggle into your weapon."

Aster Veris

• "Monarch of mud"
  • Awards EnviroOps Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #79 on: Apr 30, 2022, 10:41 PM »
Looking great! I may make some boxes like that

OM #2630 | BM #394 | they/them | mav oya'la clan |IG: @ plant.alorian | Aster WIP

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Award for 50 official invasions. Medic Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Special Weapons
« Reply #80 on: May 03, 2022, 07:52 PM »
Awesome job as always!!! I'm sad that this build is almost over :'(  I loved watching it!! You have done such a good job. I got to ask though, do you have a life time supply of Altoids mints now from buying all the tins?  :laugh:

I really have quite the collection.  :laugh:  My parents have been giving me three boxes of Altoids every year for Christmas for the last 10 years.  So I found a use for them  ;D  And don't worry, no kit is ever truly done till you stop wearing it.  ;)

Looking great! I may make some boxes like that

Go for it.  Its super easy and fast to make some decent looking boxes.  Only down side is that they are not as functional as pouches for practical stuff.

After feedback from pre-app I made a few more tweaks and added some leather ring weave collar straps.

Close up of the straps before weathering

And after weathering

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

EricL

• Rhasvuul Zeg
« Reply #81 on: May 07, 2022, 12:40 AM »
Continued awesomeness as always! The leather and chain detail is just like I mentioned before, from a distance it’s just texture but up close it’s really authentic and solid looking.

Follow up question about the belt boxes: how confident are you in the E6000 holding the clip in place? I was thinking of adding a metal canteen to my kit and would rather not rivet the clip in place and destroy a functioning item. I don’t actually intend to use it to hold water, I just hate to break a nice thing if I can help it.

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #82 on: May 07, 2022, 01:09 AM »
Continued awesomeness as always! The leather and chain detail is just like I mentioned before, from a distance it’s just texture but up close it’s really authentic and solid looking.

Follow up question about the belt boxes: how confident are you in the E6000 holding the clip in place? I was thinking of adding a metal canteen to my kit and would rather not rivet the clip in place and destroy a functioning item. I don’t actually intend to use it to hold water, I just hate to break a nice thing if I can help it.

If I were you, I'd either find the proper carrier pouch or make one for it to wear on your belt. Don't add a clip to the canteen itself, since, as you noted, it could damage the canteen. And, yes, if you have it, you might as well use it to hold drinking water to keep yourself hydrated during troops or conventions.

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #83 on: May 07, 2022, 11:55 AM »

For my metal to metal connections I use JB Weld.  It is the steel weld stuff, sets in 5-10 mins and works wonderfully.  There is a slower setting stuff but I don't care for it as much as I have to either hold the pieces I am trying to  bond for a long time or find a way to brace and/or clamp it.  I haven't had a problem with it in the 1 yr + of my using that sort of connection on my main kit.  This type of bond is my primary connection for holding all my chest armor on for this kit .   This is a very solid bond so if you ever want to remove the clip I wouldn't go this route.  If your fine with it always having the clip then go for it.  It will only damage the canteen if you try to remove it.

I generally use E6000 for bonds were I either want or need a little bit of flex  eg. trauma plates on my armor.  Or I'm just picking the cheaper glue option for something I am not really worried about being a problem (eg the sintra squared to the lids of the boxes).  Hope that helps  :)

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

EricL

• Rhasvuul Zeg
« Reply #84 on: May 07, 2022, 01:56 PM »
Hope that helps  :)

It does help, thank you! I’m still processing if the canteen will be a belt mount, strap, or on a backpack. Just collecting tips and tricks for different materials.

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
Re: Aquatic Post-Imp Build- APPROVED-Naia Toa
« Reply #85 on: May 10, 2022, 10:24 AM »
Approved!

Now on to brigades!

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Aster Veris

• "Monarch of mud"
  • Awards EnviroOps Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #86 on: May 10, 2022, 09:52 PM »
Congrats! You're a mando making machine

OM #2630 | BM #394 | they/them | mav oya'la clan |IG: @ plant.alorian | Aster WIP

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #87 on: May 11, 2022, 01:17 AM »
YAAAAAAYYYYY!!!!!.  :8):

Karson Wren

• Clan Wren - Nayc solus jurkade cuun aliit

Cattriss Wren

« Reply #89 on: May 11, 2022, 11:05 AM »
Congratulations!!! You earned it!! :porg2:

"Everyone has a struggle in life. The key is turning that struggle into your weapon."

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #90 on: May 23, 2022, 02:56 PM »
Congrats! You're a mando making machine

Thanks!!

YAAAAAAYYYYY!!!!!.  :8):

Always so exciting to get the acceptance email!

Congrats!  :porg2:

Thank you!

Congratulations!!! You earned it!! :porg2:

It was a fun journey that, if I stay true to form, isn't done yet.   ;)

And first official troop with Naia Toa!!!

Had a minor malfunction with one gauntlet but a quick and dirty repair job got it back in action.

Guess I didn't learn my lesson last year at MegaCon as I tried to play sabacc again with a mirrored visor.  Yup I lost.

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Karson Wren

« Reply #91 on: May 24, 2022, 12:27 PM »
All of that looks incredible and like so much fun!  :porg2:

Can't wait till I can start trooping.

Cattriss Wren

« Reply #92 on: May 26, 2022, 09:58 PM »
Great job :like: that kit is out of this galaxy!!

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #93 on: Jun 05, 2022, 08:02 PM »
Thank you both!

InfinityCon this past weekend!

I defeated a Din Djarin and claimed his darksaber!

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Karson Wren

Cattriss Wren

« Reply #95 on: Jun 15, 2022, 10:24 AM »
How Fun!! Looking amazing :<3:

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #96 on: Jul 31, 2022, 09:17 AM »
Alright some troops have happened and I've been working on my brigades upgrades!

I'm going to start with the fun ones!

It has been a busy bit of time!

And some brigades upgrades! 

Shell belt keeper

Trying to make my boxes a look a little more 'natural materiel' by adding scales!

And building a bone handled knife

And of course the addition of a propulsion pack and O2 canister combo complete with dive harness

I still need to add the impellers but its getting close to completion!

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Cattriss Wren

« Reply #97 on: Aug 12, 2022, 09:31 PM »
Yay!!! :porg2: can't wait to see it!

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #98 on: Sep 24, 2022, 11:10 PM »
So this thread has fallen a few posts behind but a quick review of what has occured.  Impellers were added.  Propulsion pack was worn to an event.  Everything went wonderful.  Propulsion pack was being carried into next event by a handler, horrible crunching sounds, broken impellers.   :'(

Two weeks later I pulled out the backup set of impellers and finished that set.  It's not quite the same as the original but still good!
I made a leash/lasso to fulfil one of beast tamer requirements and made a holster for my 'bone' handled stabby.

I am sure I am forgetting some stuff. 

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #99 on: Oct 23, 2022, 10:03 PM »
I have been slacking in my updating of this thread.  I have been busy with a new job and trooping!  Doing instead of recording as it were.
So updates:
I made an upgrade after a dark troop where I was one of the only ones who could see to navigate.  UV reactive paint!

I still need to add it to my propulsion pack but I think it came out fabulous. ;D

We also recently did several troops.  My favorite has been the Jailbreak 5k, we got to chase some escapees!

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!