Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Aquatic Post-Imp Build- APPROVED-Naia Toa

• 122 Replies

Fenn Beviin

• MMCC #: 2116
  • Awards Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member
Re: Aquatic Post-Imp Build
« Reply #50 on: Jan 27, 2022, 01:42 PM »
Impressive work and great WIP - definitely can serve as a good tutorial/follow along as well.

"Try not to become a man of success, but a man of value."

Instagram: mythos_fenn_shysa

Mythos Fenn Arms (A Sales Thread): https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=174182.msg2066382#new

Fenn Shysa WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=80765.0

Blaster Addiction - So many Blasters: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=110659.msg1820500

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Award for 50 official invasions. Medic Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Special Weapons
« Reply #51 on: Jan 30, 2022, 03:25 PM »
Impressive work and great WIP - definitely can serve as a good tutorial/follow along as well.

Thanks!  I do try to record these builds in such as way that if I forget what I did I can look back and go, 'oh right! That's what I did there.'  Short term memory  :laugh:

Small bits of progress on this build.  Outer hinges are attached for the gauntlets.

I also got the magnets added to the shoulder straps, not loving the way the one sits though, might have to try and tweak it a bit.

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet
WIP Weapons [url=https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Award for 50 official invasions. Medic Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Special Weapons
« Reply #52 on: Feb 13, 2022, 07:26 PM »
Little things happening!

Added a box to the top of one gauntlet to house the remote I wired to my visor lights.  Speaking of which, clan mate gave me crash course on wiring and I made my first circuit!

I also am trying a new gauntlet closure type.  I have since added a few more things to the other one but haven't taken pictures yet.

I've also got three visor color films to pick from for my helmet.

I am also trying to pick which version I want to use for my propulsion pack/diving rig (the central one will be an oxygen tank and have a tube running from it up into my helmet)  So opinion?  A, B or C? 

I am leaning towards C at the moment.

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Aster Veris

• "Monarch of mud"
  • Awards EnviroOps Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #53 on: Feb 13, 2022, 10:15 PM »
Okay so first, great work! Second, I'm leaning towards the second visor color (the bright blue). I think it will pop really well from the rest of the kit but still be a part of the color scheme. For the back pack rig, I'm also leaning towards C but I think you should heavily modify the middle component (obviously it's not going to be just a water bottle glued on there, but maybe change up the shape a little bit, make a really cool connector for the top bit)?

OM #2630 | BM #394 | they/them | mav oya'la clan |IG: @ plant.alorian | Aster WIP

Celtkhan

• Want some soup?
« Reply #54 on: Feb 13, 2022, 11:52 PM »
Personally, I prefer the B style backpack, but you’re the one that needs to be happy with it. I assume the two bottles on the side would be the propulsion system, and that they would be symmetrical.

Speaking of, what kind of propulsion did you want to go for: twin props, twin turbines, or compressed air-type jets? I think that would inform the design more than anything else (I like the idea of twin turbines, which is why I like B. C looks more like compressed gas, which strikes me as inefficient.)

« Reply #55 on: Feb 14, 2022, 08:14 AM »
I'm really liking C. It has a more streamlined look, which is essential for efficient movement underwater.

Cattriss Wren

• "Vurel verburyc, draar solus"
« Reply #56 on: Feb 14, 2022, 11:16 AM »
I'm with Fenn, C is my favorite. Gauntlets are looking great too! :porg2:

my armor. http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=203296.0

"Mandalorians don't make threats. We make promises"

"Everyone has a struggle in life. The key is turning that struggle into your weapon."

Karson Wren

• Clan Wren - Nayc solus jurkade cuun aliit
« Reply #57 on: Feb 14, 2022, 12:58 PM »
Wow I'm liking this, It's really different to anything i've seen before.

Looking forward to seeing what you do next  ;D

« Reply #58 on: Feb 14, 2022, 03:36 PM »
As an aquatic build, I was thinking it would be funny to have two sea scooter engines instead of rocket cones and a torpedo instead of a rocket coming out of the oxygen tank.

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #59 on: Feb 15, 2022, 07:48 PM »
Wow guys thanks for the feedback!

Okay so first, great work! Second, I'm leaning towards the second visor color (the bright blue). I think it will pop really well from the rest of the kit but still be a part of the color scheme. For the back pack rig, I'm also leaning towards C but I think you should heavily modify the middle component (obviously it's not going to be just a water bottle glued on there, but maybe change up the shape a little bit, make a really cool connector for the top bit)?

Thanks!  I was leaning that way as well for the visor color I just need to test and make sure it's reflective enough to not see my face through it.   I am planning on adding to the central water bottle as I need to modify it to accept a hose.  So it will get changed mostly based on what I need to do to make that connection and maybe a bit on what I think looks cool.  ;)

Personally, I prefer the B style backpack, but you’re the one that needs to be happy with it. I assume the two bottles on the side would be the propulsion system, and that they would be symmetrical.

Speaking of, what kind of propulsion did you want to go for: twin props, twin turbines, or compressed air-type jets? I think that would inform the design more than anything else (I like the idea of twin turbines, which is why I like B. C looks more like compressed gas, which strikes me as inefficient.)

B has it's charms for sure.  In my brain the propulsion system is more like a caterpillar drive only Star Wars. Reality is its probably going to end up being an entirely enclosed system where the outside view will only be lights in vents on the bottom of the pack more like Shea Viszla vent but not exacly...

I'm really liking C. It has a more streamlined look, which is essential for efficient movement underwater.

Agreed, C is more streamlined but also bigger, so more resistance but also less.  That's not confusing at all.  :laugh:

I'm with Fenn, C is my favorite. Gauntlets are looking great too! :porg2:

Thanks!

Wow I'm liking this, It's really different to anything i've seen before.

Looking forward to seeing what you do next  ;D

Thank you!

As an aquatic build, I was thinking it would be funny to have two sea scooter engines instead of rocket cones and a torpedo instead of a rocket coming out of the oxygen tank.

Torpedos!  I hadn't thought of that.  Might need to reconsider some stuff.  Thanks!

Bit more work on the gauntlets.

The base of the comlink has been added to the top of the left gauntlet.

The sonar screen has started it's journey but isn't mounted yet as I am not happy with the current way it's lighting up.  Might need to move around the LED until I like it better.

And I got the dart launchers built into the latch I have on the left gauntlet.

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Aster Veris

• "Monarch of mud"
« Reply #60 on: Feb 17, 2022, 03:52 PM »
Looking good! Good luck with the LEDs  :<3:

OM #2630 | BM #394 | they/them | mav oya'la clan |IG: @ plant.alorian | Aster WIP

Celtkhan

• Want some soup?
« Reply #61 on: Feb 17, 2022, 04:54 PM »
If you put the LED directly under the panel, it’s going to have a “hot spot” where the LED is. You can mitigate it by adding some diffusing layers underneath, sanding the underside of the panel, and/or using LED strips/panels to give a more even light. If you go that way, you’ll probably need to ink in your etch lines, as bottom-up lighting is not going to catch the etches the way you’re probably expecting. If you light the panel from one or more edges, it will probably give you the effect you’re looking for.

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #62 on: Feb 21, 2022, 09:05 PM »
If you put the LED directly under the panel, it’s going to have a “hot spot” where the LED is. You can mitigate it by adding some diffusing layers underneath, sanding the underside of the panel, and/or using LED strips/panels to give a more even light. If you go that way, you’ll probably need to ink in your etch lines, as bottom-up lighting is not going to catch the etches the way you’re probably expecting. If you light the panel from one or more edges, it will probably give you the effect you’re looking for.

That is actually what I ended up doing.  I pulled the light to the side.  Lined it with aluminum tape and then backed the screen with window tint.  It's not quite what I was thinking but it's good enough for me.  I may still ink in my etch lines to make them stand out more.

Update

Some paint on a bucket!

Wore out my assistant.

Also got a bit of work done on a gauntlet but it's still drying so no pictures yet.

I feel like my paint is a bit to busy right now.   Possible changes I'm considering are, painting over the undersea bedazzle (the sections on the dome that are all the colors) into a solid grey panel.  The original plan was to tie in my tasset plates but it's such a busy pattern...  Also loose the light blue lines and make it a solid brown dome.  Opinions?

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Second Son

• Awards Special Weapons EnviroOps Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #63 on: Feb 21, 2022, 09:48 PM »
1. I dig the 'sonar' vibe that the little gauntlet screen has.

2. Yes, there's a lot of pattern going on, but it looks cohesive. Be glorious and dangerous like the mantis shrimp (IN SPACE).

Celtkhan

• Want some soup?
« Reply #64 on: Feb 21, 2022, 11:25 PM »
Set your bucket aside for a few days, then look at it with fresh eyes. My initial impression is the same as yours; it’s too busy. I don’t think wiping out all that work is the right answer, though. The problem is that you’ve gt too many different values and hues: white, blue, brown and red. Some are warm, some cold, some pastel, some muted. I think you can bring them a bit closer together with some black and/or brown washes to mute the brighter colors and warm up the cold tones.

Cattriss Wren

« Reply #65 on: Feb 23, 2022, 09:08 AM »
Love the helmet!! The blue color you choose is beautiful. Your assistance is adorable!! :<3:

"Everyone has a struggle in life. The key is turning that struggle into your weapon."

Aster Veris

• "Monarch of mud"
« Reply #66 on: Feb 24, 2022, 02:24 AM »
Love the helmet! I also agree, it's pretty busy (but great!). Chose one main pattern. I really love the "undersea bedazzle"  :laugh: so maybe keep that, and turn the other areas into just a single color. I think having multiple patterns like the spots on the back or lines on the top makes it a bit much.

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #67 on: Feb 28, 2022, 07:41 PM »
1. I dig the 'sonar' vibe that the little gauntlet screen has.

2. Yes, there's a lot of pattern going on, but it looks cohesive. Be glorious and dangerous like the mantis shrimp (IN SPACE).

Thanks!  Space shrimp incoming!

Set your bucket aside for a few days, then look at it with fresh eyes. My initial impression is the same as yours; it’s too busy. I don’t think wiping out all that work is the right answer, though. The problem is that you’ve gt too many different values and hues: white, blue, brown and red. Some are warm, some cold, some pastel, some muted. I think you can bring them a bit closer together with some black and/or brown washes to mute the brighter colors and warm up the cold tones.

Unfortunately for the aquatics stuff, black and brown washes are actually discouraged under the premise that you're in the water so it will wash off all the dirt and grime.  I can however weather with white/cream (for sea salt) and I can sneak in some greens (seaweed) and perhaps I can smuggle in a tan (sand if you will).  I agree that I have a bit much going on color wheel wise. 

Love the helmet!! The blue color you choose is beautiful. Your assistance is adorable!! :<3:

Thank you!  He's helped build all my kits.   ;)

Love the helmet! I also agree, it's pretty busy (but great!). Chose one main pattern. I really love the "undersea bedazzle"  :laugh: so maybe keep that, and turn the other areas into just a single color. I think having multiple patterns like the spots on the back or lines on the top makes it a bit much.

I like the bedazzle too!  But the spots pull in the chest and back armor.  I thinking I might just paint over the lines on top.  Not fully decided yet.

Photos from the con I finally did a full kit out (well mostly, the one shoulder strap is just not sitting right.)

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Aster Veris

• "Monarch of mud"
« Reply #68 on: Mar 01, 2022, 01:14 AM »
Nice! Quick question, have you settled on that gold visor? I still think the dark blue could be a cool look, but the gold is also iconic.

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #69 on: Mar 07, 2022, 09:15 PM »
Nice! Quick question, have you settled on that gold visor? I still think the dark blue could be a cool look, but the gold is also iconic.

I think I am going to be sticking with the gold for now.  The helmet is already so busy that adding another color was even more over the top.  The gold kinda ties it all together while still giving me the mirrored visor look that I favor.

Update:  I realized that my paint chipping on my gauntlet didn't really match the amount of chipping I had else where on my kit so I had to add a few retroactively.

I also added another layer to the bottom of the shoulders to make them a little bigger and add a bit of weight to help keep them in place.

I also added a sigil!  Many thanks to cknight68 the Mermando for permitting me to use his sigil!

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Cattriss Wren

« Reply #70 on: Mar 08, 2022, 05:57 PM »
Awesome pictures! :porg2:

Fenn Beviin

• MMCC #: 2116
  • Awards Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member
« Reply #71 on: Mar 11, 2022, 10:37 AM »
I was going to say, I thought that sigil looked familiar! haha

Loving the progress!

"Try not to become a man of success, but a man of value."

Instagram: mythos_fenn_shysa

Mythos Fenn Arms (A Sales Thread): https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=174182.msg2066382#new

Fenn Shysa WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=80765.0

Blaster Addiction - So many Blasters: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=110659.msg1820500

Aster Veris

• "Monarch of mud"
« Reply #72 on: Mar 15, 2022, 01:00 AM »
Looking really nice!

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #73 on: Apr 07, 2022, 06:48 PM »
Been a bit since I updated here.  Life has been really busy so I haven't really been able to do much building right now.  Just a few small things have gotten done.  I added new side panels to my vest! 

And I am working on an Aquatics inspired parasol to carry with this kit for the hot outdoor troops!  (Not an approved accessory btw but it make a big difference when trying to avoid heatstroke.)

Also did I mention I met Emily Swallow the armorer!  So exciting!  I was in the proses of switching kits when she stopped by out both so I threw some stuff on and ran out to see her.  I realized later I hadn't put my shoulders back on.   :laugh:

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #74 on: Apr 24, 2022, 05:43 PM »
I am several posts behind now for this kit.  For starters I finally fixed the slight gaping I was getting between the bottom of the chest, ab and vest connection.  The way I affixed the ab plate it was pulling the bottom of the chest plates away and leaving a very small gap between the plates and the vest.  Now it's fixed!!  I added a small triangle of Sintra, heat formed it to fit the gap and painted it up to match.

I also added another bit to the shoulders.  Not as in love with this addition but it does make them look bigger and thus helps with the very slight bobble head look I have going on.

Then begins the weathering.  Because this is an aquatic kit I can't do my usual dirt washes so salt and sand are really all I have to work with.  I might be able to try and squeak in some greens because seaweed but I'll add that later if needed.  Don't want to put on something I can't take back later if it's not okay.

So I started by mixing some pigment powder in water and pretty much pour/painting it on everywhere.
Vest

Then, after it dried, I beat it against the post on the porch to knock of what would most likely be knocked of by just walking around.

Then I sealed it into the fabric with a sealant.

I then did the same thing with all the soft parts.  I did a bit more structured staining on the flightsuit.  Looked up bunch of salt staining on clothes and looked at the pictures as I painted the pigment powered on.

Pants

Before the beating.  ;)

After

First round

After

Sash
Before beating

After

Leather goods:  These just seemed to look greyer and greyer the more I added to them

Tassets

Before

After

Fauld

After

Half chaps

Before

After

Cuffs
Before-only the bottom one in the picture had be done yet

After

At this point I stopped and just had to do some pictures.  After the pictures I was looking at it and realized I had missed a few important items

So then I did the rest of the softs I hadn't already done

Gloves- I took comparison photos to try and make it more obvious

Both weathered

Straps for the shins

Boxes

Now I need to take some more pictures.  Then I think I might be ready for pre-app.

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!