Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Two questions: Matching weathering, and weathering black?

• 5 Replies
Hello there! Foundling here.
So I haven't even gotten my materials to start, but after watching a lot of videos and reading through the forums, I had a thought.

I'm having an awesome clan mate help me 3D print my helmet, and I'm going to be making my armor with sintra. Since they're two different materials, I started to wonder how using the same methods of weathering might look differently on different materials.
I haven't worked with *anything* and the question may be really dumb for people with experience. But since different surfaces and components respond differently to things and I'm too poor for massive trial and error, I thought I'd ask -- does having the different materials make it difficult to have the weathering look the same throughout?

Secondly, for my colors, because my soul is black and so is everything I own, I was hoping to use black as my main color. But that leads me to the question -- how do you weather black? Probably dumb question. But since I can't imagine things showing up on black and a lot of people seem to use black *for* weathering (at least in the videos I watched and things I've read), I'm having a hard time picturing it mentally.

Am I just overthinking this? Probably.
Thanks for helping the nutter over here anyways!  :<3:

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
Re: Two questions: Matching weathering, and weathering black?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 02, 2021, 02:17 AM »
If you want it weathered, go with lighter earth tones. However, weathering and “battle damage” are completely optional. Some of us go with “clean” kits, without any damage or weathering. That might be an option to consider if you’re going with a black build.

rlobrecht

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Dec 02, 2021, 09:40 AM »
Once you get things sanded and a couple of layers of paint, Sintra and PLA should weather similarly.

You can see the weathering on my kit using lighter tans and browns.  Its grey not black, but same principle.

Kotep Dral | Arqet Clan | MMCC #2677 | The OT Guard #63 | B.O.M.B #96

Helmet build - SWJFH-A7R pepakura | Soft parts WIP | Armor WIP | Sniper upgrades

Odran Krayt

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din (Family is more than blood)
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023.
« Reply #3 on: Dec 02, 2021, 11:27 AM »
Definitely make use of bare metal spots in your armor weathering, and look for a good "primer" color, similar to how there are layers of other colors on the edge of the weathered spots under the green. Having something like either pervious paint jobs or primer showing in a contrasting color really makes the weathering pop. With black soft parts, make sure to have some trim or other decorations to break up the black, and weather with lighter colors. If your character would be outside a lot, lighter colored dirt on elbows and knees, and a bit of lightening on high points can help to. Give any big seams a sand to break down the fabric and lighten it. Mostly, just look around at mechanics, other people who wear dark colored clothes and see how the fabric shows its wear.

B.O.M.B.  #85|L.O.B. #41|M.A. #180|MAJIC #184|B.o.B.B #028
New Death Watch Order #44|O.O.P.S! #44
ALUMINATI #053 | V.B.V #7
Odran Krayt WIP
Nexan Armories (Sales thread)
I've been doin' this since I was 10!

Aster Veris

• "Monarch of mud"
  • Awards EnviroOps Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #4 on: Dec 02, 2021, 03:26 PM »
Heyo! For your questions about 3d prints, once you've filled and sanded the print lines you shouldn't have a problem.
For weathering, my #1 choice is always acrylic paint! Use light browns/tans with a dry brush to show dirt and wear. As Odran Krayt said, sanding can also be good for physical wear!

OM #2630 | BM #394 | they/them | mav oya'la clan |IG: @ plant.alorian | Aster WIP
« Reply #5 on: Dec 02, 2021, 05:11 PM »
Thank you for all the input and help! I appreciate it. :)

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!