Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Boot Modifying Questions

• 4 Replies
Boot Modifying Questions
« on: Dec 23, 2021, 10:45 AM »
Hello there. I have come across some boots that felt like a great base to bring into compliance. To that end I have some questions about how to achieve some things.

So I know I have to hide the markings and the little leather tab with the name on it will be easy enough. What I am not sure on is how to fill in the S symbol on the leather and the name on the sole. I was looking at leather filler for upholstery repair but I feel that is for a different type of leather grain and might not be stout enough on the side of a boot. I know they also make a repair cream for leather shoes for gouges but I think the S symbol might be too much for that too. Any suggestions on how to proceed to fill in the symbol and the name on the sole? And is there anything else that would need to be modified like the pull straps at the top?
Thanks for taking a look!

Re: Boot Modifying Questions
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2021, 11:33 AM »
I'm not sure about the heel part, but an easy way to hide the S would be to use gaiters that reach down to the top rim of the sole. Especially if you plan on using sheen armor it would be a good way to help the plates stay in place.

This is just to give you a rough idea of what I am talking about

jethroskull

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023.
« Reply #2 on: Dec 23, 2021, 11:42 AM »
I second the gaiter idea for the side panels.

With the heel maybe a half-round chisel and cut a groove (like mountaineering boots have).

« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2021, 06:12 PM »
Interesting. I will have to look in to something like that as an idea as well. With that gaiter set up the strap that runs under the boot would be acceptable for approval I take it?

« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2021, 06:15 AM »
Interesting. I will have to look in to something like that as an idea as well. With that gaiter set up the strap that runs under the boot would be acceptable for approval I take it?

Yes, the underboot strap is approvable. I think you'll find a few similar solutions among the soft parts wip threads. There's also quite a few reference images on the web, since the gaiters have been used in a good number of costumes for the Mando series (Bo-Katan's gang all have them, for example).

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!