Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Concept for approval

• 10 Replies
Concept for approval
« on: Apr 09, 2023, 06:39 PM »
Hello! I have a concept here, using the Super Commando Captain as a custom.

What you see is a duster, Legacy Chest and shoulder armor. Dathomirian style tattoos on the bucket. Paint will be black and silver weathered.

Re: Concept for approval
« Reply #1 on: Apr 10, 2023, 09:19 PM »
ttt  :porg1:

« Reply #2 on: Apr 13, 2023, 05:20 PM »
Am I shadow-banned or something?

Hodayc Goran

• 3D printing my brain/dumpster-diving for greeblies
« Reply #3 on: Apr 13, 2023, 06:11 PM »
Nope. I just kind of passed over your post because it looked fine. I'm guessing the others did, too. Nothing to say, except be careful with the spikes on the helmet.

If you want an alien kit, like a Dathomirian-Mando, you might want to consider using wider spikes that could be "hollow" to make room for the Dathomirian's real head spikes inside the helmet.

If you are just a more human-like humanoid who likes Dathomirian culture, then you would also want to be careful to stay away from other canon kits like Darth Maul's Super Commandos, but try to add in some other non-Maul-ish Dathomirian elements (hint: stay away from the high-contrast red and black scheme!).

So, good kit, kind of grey and black and faded into the background. Not much to say other than the helmet, so I can't wait to see this one start getting built! You are already in contact with your clan leaders, I hope? If not, please go to the Clan Locator and find the local clan for your area. They might have something more interesting to say about your kit.

Good luck on your kit, vod! I look forward to your realization of your concepts.

Ecclesiastes 4:12
“Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.”

3D Armorers and 3D Printing
General Concept Ideas
Soft Parts

Ronin Tavic

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 2016 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #4 on: Apr 14, 2023, 03:56 AM »
Straight forward concept. I'd suggest adding some stripes or details on the body armor as well, but otherwise, get working on those templates, soldier  :like:

Pre-App pics and upgrade thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=63828.15
"I only take 2 things seriously: the lives of my vode, and the deaths of my enemies"
Ni redalu o'r vhetin be'kyram.
"I dance in death's valley"
"we're not mercenary's, more like adventure capitalists"

« Reply #5 on: Apr 14, 2023, 05:54 PM »
Nope. I just kind of passed over your post because it looked fine. I'm guessing the others did, too. Nothing to say, except be careful with the spikes on the helmet.

If you want an alien kit, like a Dathomirian-Mando, you might want to consider using wider spikes that could be "hollow" to make room for the Dathomirian's real head spikes inside the helmet.

If you are just a more human-like humanoid who likes Dathomirian culture, then you would also want to be careful to stay away from other canon kits like Darth Maul's Super Commandos, but try to add in some other non-Maul-ish Dathomirian elements (hint: stay away from the high-contrast red and black scheme!).

So, good kit, kind of grey and black and faded into the background. Not much to say other than the helmet, so I can't wait to see this one start getting built! You are already in contact with your clan leaders, I hope? If not, please go to the Clan Locator and find the local clan for your area. They might have something more interesting to say about your kit.

Good luck on your kit, vod! I look forward to your realization of your concepts.

Thank you!

What do you mean by be careful with the spikes? It's a Super Commando Captain helmet. Can I use it and put a custom paint job on it? The armor, as you see will be mix-matched. Is that allowed?

Also yes, I have located my clan and have been on that forum. Thanks!

The grey you see is, I was going to go for a beskar look, can't really replicate that on Mando creator lol

« Last Edit: Apr 14, 2023, 06:00 PM by KorgEndu » Logged
« Reply #6 on: Apr 14, 2023, 05:56 PM »
Straight forward concept. I'd suggest adding some stripes or details on the body armor as well, but otherwise, get working on those templates, soldier  :like:

Thank you. I found the legacy templates. Do you have a resource for scaling? I picked up some 6mm pvc today. I should start a build thread!

Arminius

« Reply #7 on: Apr 14, 2023, 06:02 PM »
Please avoid double posting, you can edit your reply if you want to add something.

What Hodayc is saying about the spikes is that you have to be careful with their construction and the potential hazard they may present. Spikes are allowed, but there are some rules as specified in the Additional Info section of the Costume Requirements page:

Spikes and other sharp protrusions on kits will be highly scrutinized for safety. Safety of the general public must be considered first when attaching spikes (or other sharp protrusions) in any area of a costume. Requests for modification or removal may be made based on the safety of the kit. If any spike (or sharp protrusion) is deemed to be unsafe due to its location, construction material or attachment method modification or removal of the offending item is compulsory.

The strongest stars have hearts of kyber, but the strongest warriors have hearts of beskar.
« Reply #8 on: Apr 14, 2023, 06:09 PM »
Understood. Thank you for the clarification and about double posting, this forum doesn't have the multi-quote I'm used to seeing. The bucket is 3D printed, so not sure how sharp those spikes can get.

Arminius

« Reply #9 on: Apr 14, 2023, 06:48 PM »
Understood. Thank you for the clarification and about double posting, this forum doesn't have the multi-quote I'm used to seeing. The bucket is 3D printed, so not sure how sharp those spikes can get.

It does have that function, but you have to add each section you want to quote manually. I recommend checking out the Comprehensive Forum Usage Guide

Check with the app team about the spikes when you're close to printing the helmet, but the most sensible precaution I find is rounding the tip of the spikes.

The strongest stars have hearts of kyber, but the strongest warriors have hearts of beskar.

Ronin Tavic

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 2016 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #10 on: Apr 15, 2023, 02:58 AM »
The bucket is 3D printed, so not sure how sharp those spikes can get.
youd be surprised how sharp plastic can get. but sanding down the ends is pretty simple if it comes to that. should be able to run your hand across it quickly without causing pain. imagine if the helmet was falling and you went to catch it, would the spike hurt you? if yes, smooth it a bit more.

Thank you. I found the legacy templates. Do you have a resource for scaling? I picked up some 6mm pvc today. I should start a build thread!
for scaling not so much. often times you pick a size that seems to match closer to shirt size and work from there, the templates should have a s,m,l designation to them. Adjustments will likely need to be made piece by piece, as human bodies are often not universally sized. just play with the paper scaling, go slow, and feel free to make minor adjustments to pieces for aesthetics as well.

Pre-App pics and upgrade thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=63828.15
"I only take 2 things seriously: the lives of my vode, and the deaths of my enemies"
Ni redalu o'r vhetin be'kyram.
"I dance in death's valley"
"we're not mercenary's, more like adventure capitalists"

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!