Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Help creating scars

• 7 Replies

Malakier Vhett

• 'The Craziest Merc'
  • No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 75 official invasions. Celebration Anaheim 2022
Help creating scars
« on: Apr 01, 2016, 08:52 PM »
So, to help me get in character for cons and longer troops (too much of a hassle for shorter troops), I use rigid collodion to give my self realistic looking (and actually more importantly to me, feeling) facial scars. I just have one problem. After an hour or 2, they start peeling off. Which kind of defeats the purpose. Any tips for how to make them stick better?

Armor does not make a Mandalorian. The armor is simply a manifestation of an impenetrable, unassailable heart.

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: Help creating scars
« Reply #1 on: Apr 01, 2016, 09:19 PM »
I never had a problem with rigid collodion peeling off, but maybe putting spirit gum on top, once the collodion dried, would help it keep together better for you.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Diijin

• "No, you may not touch my bolas."
« Reply #2 on: Nov 25, 2017, 01:17 AM »
I've had that same issue when I used it too. What I realized after many attempts, I was using too thin of a coat of it. Try being generous with it. And also make sure your still stretching your face as it dries. I found out that helps the skin not fight against it as much once its completely dry.

Firestorm Clan
MMCC #1489
BOMB #82
MACK #48
MARS #72
Oribru Akaata #24
LOB #38
BEARDS #141
OOPS #26
Beast Hunter/Desert Ops WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=134706.msg1746773#msg174677

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Nov 25, 2017, 11:10 PM »
This is good to know.  Been looking into liquid latex for scarring, but colloidon I'd forgotten about.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006
« Reply #4 on: Jun 08, 2021, 02:04 AM »
Instead of using prosthetic because after awhile the spirit gum starts to loose it’s tackiness. I recommend going to your local theatre or performance art school and talk to the makeup teacher, they’ll recommend what color for you to get of Ben Nye and Kryolan makeup that best matches your natural skin tone after you get that information go to your local costume store or go online get the makeup that the person told you that matches your skin tone, some darker or lighter colors, and kryolan rigid collodion for scars or you can get Ben nye Fair Scar And Nose Wax or Ben Nye SCAR EFFECTS GEL. Before you put any of these makeups on shave and wipe your face of oils because the makeups won’t stick and scruff will damage the sponge. Plus there’s tutorials on YouTube that can help you.

Hi,
I’m here to learn but also help build armors but also inspire others. I haven’t started building my armor because yet because I’m still gathering the supplies I need. I maybe different from my other Mandalorians but inspiring others to build their own is my goal.

Allfather

• Reconciler
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Family events 15+ clan level invasions Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #5 on: Jul 24, 2021, 11:36 AM »
I've been using rigid colloidon for years to make scars. Never had that issue. I tend to have oily skin and sweat quite a bit, so my first thing to do before applying it is to clean my skin with an astringent and follow that with some sweat stop or No Sweat (whichever brand I have). Then apply a few coats of the colloidon until I get the "deepness" I am looking for that time. I can leave mine on for a day or two if I don't wash that section of my face with no issues. And that's a good thing since you can get a pretty nasty chemical burn if you reapply scars to the same place without giving the skin a chance to recover. I try to never put a scar in the exact same place two days in a row to avoid this.

"Remember, Private..Friendly Fire is not a nice warm place you and your hippy buddies sit around at night toasting marshmallows and singing Kumbaya." --Me to one of my troops way back when

Erio J'uni

• Trust me. All you are to me is a paycheck!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 75 official invasions.
« Reply #6 on: Jul 24, 2021, 09:16 PM »
I haven't had any issues with rigid collodion sticking.  As mentioned above I've gone 2 days with no lifting.  Just make sure your skin is clean and dry as possible.

MMCC #899 | B.O.M.B. #1 - The Bomb'alor | M.A.J.I.C. #132 | K.O.M.S. #17 | B.O.O.M. #11 | The IT-Mando Society #11 | Grey Brigade #59

Bajrx2

• Jun'tah Zaan
« Reply #7 on: Apr 29, 2022, 08:45 AM »
Using RC stretch your face out while applying so as to give it more wiggle room down the line when it dries.
Go over it in multiple layers don't just brush it on once 3 to 5 times is what I used to do for cosplays that need scars.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!