Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Bucket help

• 1 Replies
Bucket help
« on: Jan 13, 2022, 12:06 AM »
So I have my bucket done with using the templates. I'm not sure what the part is between the cheeks and the visor are. Do they have to be a certain size to be approved or not. I used the templates but one side seems thinner then the other. Also what's the best way to get the cheek area to curve after you cut them out.

WIP Bucket build https://imgur.com/a/MqdWcCS

« Last Edit: Jan 14, 2022, 08:24 PM by Epo Malachore » Logged

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 15+ invasions Medic Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member
Re: Bucket help
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2022, 05:46 PM »
Hello Fellow scratch bucket builder!

Lets see if I can give you some help here.  If I understand what your asking, you're struggling with fitting the cheeks and mandibles in place.  You mentioned that you have the template so I am assuming that you traced and cut (following the paper template) onto the bucket material.  Sizing, should already be determined if you printed the appropriate pages of the template.    There is no set size and a bit of asymmetry can be accommodated for by paint.  It doesn't not appear to be asymmetrical to me.  However, your bucket is currently the victim of the infamous 'not curling around' in a dome shape which will distort the over all view.  I used the blue lines to show what I am talking about.  The fix for that is to add a brace until you are able to install a visor.  A brace in any one of the three places I marked in red should help hold your helmet in the correct shape and aid in preventing this distortion.

Now for fitting the pieces in the newly opened space.  I like to gently heat and glue the mandible portion of the cheek in place (This is the upper bit between the actual cheek and the helmet frame).  A little bit at a time.  Bucket is difficult to use for this part but if your patient is can be done.  When I made my second bucket I used Sintra for only those bits and it was so much easier, still time consuming but not nearly as frustrating.  I did end up using some tape as I moved along to help stabilize the mandible and prevent myself from accidentally knocking it out as I moved to the next portion.  I left it there till my glue had fully set then pulled it off.

After adding the mandibles, I gently heated and put a bit of a curve on the cheek part before trying to fit it in place.  Then repeat, heat and glue bit by bit.

Patience is your friend as you do this.

Have you seen the Bearded Mando's YouTube videos on scratch building a bucket?  He made those right after I finished both of mine but they have a bunch of great info as well as some great tips and tricks.

You are also welcome to poke through my own bucket builds and see if there is anything useful to you there.

Gook luck and happy building.

Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened. -Dr. Seuss

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet
WIP Weapons Post Imperial Build

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!