Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Late era mando helmets....

• 29 Replies
Late era mando helmets....
« on: Jan 12, 2010, 01:18 PM »
I was wondering if anyone else out there is doing any late era helmets?
 Ive finally got a minor start after months a set backs.....

Mandalore the Uniter

• Herder of Cats
  • Uniting the Faithful.
  • Awards Donated during Quarter 4 of 2023. Celebration Chicago Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
Re: Late era mando helmets....
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2010, 01:27 PM »
Chris, I don't know anyone who does late-era helmets.  Might try talking to Jaiden Turrn or one of those guys.

I had an awesome sig once, till Photobucket killed it. *frownyface*
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2010, 01:30 PM »
Thanks, Boss....For reference if you look in the posting for the late era mando's there are alot of ideas....I'm going with an off shoot of the mandokarla look...and as soon as I get far enough I'll figure out how to get a pic put up.....

« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2010, 02:48 PM »
Like I said, step 3 of about 200...

[attachment deleted by admin]

« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2010, 02:49 PM »
side view..

« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2010, 02:50 PM »
reference the style of helmet..

Mandalore the Uniter

• Herder of Cats
  • Uniting the Faithful.
  • Awards Donated during Quarter 4 of 2023. Celebration Chicago Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2010, 03:29 PM »
That shouldn't be to hard, but you may want to get some sintra for raised pieces then bondo over them so they look flush.

I had an awesome sig once, till Photobucket killed it. *frownyface*

Kebii'tra Verda

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2010, 04:29 PM »
That is a very interesting concept. The "X" or "TT" visor shouldn't be too hard, but I would recommend if you make it where the bottom of the visor actually does separate the the mouth area from the rest, then compromise with not putting the actual visor all the way down. Come up about 2 or 3 inches, leave it indented, and paint it black to match the visor. This will add stability and still look like the visor goes all the way down.

Good luck! I'll be watching this to see what you come up with.

David.

#0127a Kebii'tra Verda
267th Brigade "Remo's Raiders"
Above and Beyond
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2010, 04:32 PM »
just about my plan right now, Boss.  
 I have several pieces laid aside to use that will give height to the face of it. I will prolly still cutout the cheeks, but back ply them.
 The skull will be somewhat a challenge, I have the basic top roll for it, just need to put together the sides so I can attach them later...
 I need to get the holes filled in, them glass it...
 The only thing I am fighting with is whether to really follow the picture and cut off the severe side and back, but If I do, I have pieces to use for the ears...but If I leave it...Ive not yet figured what to do for the ears...any ideas, Vodes?

« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2010, 04:36 PM »
Jaiden,
  I dont want to copy it directly...I wont go with the TT style..I like it for the cheeks I plan to make, it wouldnt work and I want to make my very own..not a cutout...

Kebii'tra Verda

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2010, 04:37 PM »
Ears: My first impression is that they look like the knob to a safe combination dial. If you have a way to do it safely, then you could buy (I'm not kidding) shower handles and cut them in half to lose some height, then attach them to Sintra cut outs. Follow?

And hey, there's nothing wrong with a little originality!

David.

#0127a Kebii'tra Verda
267th Brigade "Remo's Raiders"
Above and Beyond
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2010, 11:03 PM »
Jaiden,

I follow...I;m looking into several different  "nobs" to fit..or maybe a different style altogether..I dont know yet. I stil have to get the FB to get the top "slide" done and the bondo to cure some hole the helmet came with..so, I'll cross that off when I get to it..

« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2010, 12:02 PM »
So Im making breakfast today, and putting the coffee back in the cupboard..I saw it....the earpiece I want..the top of a crisco bottle. the fins on the side are bigger, and its the right size, now I gotta find the back of the earplate....Im quite sure I'll find it soon..
 hopefully i'll have a few more pics in the next couple days....

« Reply #13 on: Jan 14, 2010, 01:26 PM »
Ok, More work done.
I got the initial layer of aluminum on. allowing to work out some the more serious areas I need to clean up. I also have the cheeks outer layer cut out, initial painted and drying.
Hopefully, I'll have the major sanding done so I can get ahold of some filler for the air holes and screw holes in the helmet. I got the fabric for the balaclava, as well as fabric for my vest...just need to get that stuff sewn up.
 then I need to score the plastic and tint for the visor. another bucket for the chest, arms and leg armor.
 Im not sure how Im going to do my backplate yet...

« Reply #14 on: Jan 14, 2010, 01:27 PM »
front view....

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!