Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

LED Vibroblade

• 3 Replies

Rambler

• Coming Soon to a Theatre Near You
LED Vibroblade
« on: Feb 02, 2022, 05:12 PM »

It started off with a simple concept from another clanmate of mine- a flashlight, connected to a strengthened piece of plexiglass (I forget the term) by a pvc connector hiding excess light. It shines light into the blade, illuminating the edge while keeping the painted sides matte. And so began the process.

I had found a 12pack of battery operated fairy light LED's, and thought it would be good if I can make something able to be mass produced. My concept is similar, though it has a couple of different options to make things easier.

It starts at the pommel, with the battery being secured into the chamber yet detachable. I've added in a basin for the excess light so it doesn't yank anything out of the emitter up top, near the blade. The blade itself is no different than the original inspiration- painted matte, with light emitting out the end. I have a jigsaw, so I'm able to produce that strange shape myself. Both ends of the hilt meet, and the crossguard moves over them to seal it while the glue permanently seals it tight.

Nothing has been printed yet, but it will be soon. Any feedback on my plan?

Rambler

• Coming Soon to a Theatre Near You
Re: LED Vibroblade
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2022, 03:52 PM »
A minor change of plans, I got to participate in an armor party this weekend and had access to make a blade. Being able to form a plexiglass blade instead of 3d printing it has made me realize the shaft is too angular to cut. I need to make a new hilt design that can be better fit inside.

Additionally, I got to practice with the effects of LED's on plexiglass. Even frosted, the light source is centralized so I need to rethink a bottom emitter. So, I'm designing it with a beast master brigade in mind.

There will be an electrical strip of LED's that will line up against the blade, and backed by the spine of some animal.

« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2022, 03:31 AM »
Instead of LEDs, I made one (based on Hunter's Vibroblade from Bad Batch) with a handle that held a pen light. I'm going to make the handle more comfortable, but the prototype works pretty well. I was using white filament on a hollow blade, but have made follow up ones with resin. It makes it easy to paint. Just spray paint the blade and then use a dremel to remove the paint in the grooves. The pictures are early prototypes, but I'll be more precise for future attempts.

« Reply #3 on: Mar 09, 2022, 10:08 AM »
Do you want to create such a knife yourself? If I were choosing a way to create such a cool thing, I'd take two blades of the same size to engrave holes in them for a future drawing with light. After that, I'd insert a small LED strip between these two blades. You can purchase cheap LED strips at https://www.vont.com/product/smart-strip-lights-led-strip-lights/ if you're interested. I bought them to turn my streaming room into a retro hideaway. After that, I'd come up with a handle into which the thin wiring from the LEDs would pass and where you can put a battery. Of course, the handle may turn out to be a little thinner than the blade itself, but that's nothing. It should also have a place for round batteries to power the lighting.

« Last Edit: Mar 21, 2022, 02:30 AM by joelynnpamplin » Logged

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!