Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Inital Armor Concept plans

• 5 Replies
Inital Armor Concept plans
« on: Feb 19, 2022, 03:40 PM »
Ok I think I've got a good idea of what I'm shooting for. I want to go post imperial period. I plan on using a nite owl helmet, and a din v2 chest and back plate as well as vambraces similar to din. 

My main thing right now is finding some light shoulders that I like or wondering if something like dins could be scaled down a little to cover a bit less (thinking freedom of movement for the main gun arm). Doing minimum armor on the shoulders upper arms and elbows. Maybe asymmetrical with no shoulder on the right side (I know for app approval you need both) so hoping someone can direct me to some shoulder bell ideas.

Lower armor planning on a tasset/hip plates and possibly a kama if that's ok for post imperial (couldn't find anything about kamas in the crl for the era) and then following that up with thigh plates, knees and separate shin armor.

Overall color scheme is going to be a dark purple, black and I'm thinking gold (that gunfighter flair las a highlight color to draw the eye to center mass and other more heavier armors spots chest, thigh, shoulder) a dark grey or black flight suit (planning on using scrubs for that)

Ultimate goal is to apply for the gunslinger brigade. So will be adding at least 2 blaster pistols possibly a 3rd on the lower back/waist and a holdout along with some throwing blades.

I'd add mandomaker images but at work right now. Can't wait to hear the advice and ideas for tweaks or changes!

Vor entye!

« Last Edit: Feb 19, 2022, 11:33 PM by Sessik » Logged
Re: Armor plans
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2022, 11:33 PM »
Ok Home from work and had a chance to paly around in mandomaker and came up with this design...
https://gyazo.com/553a6ad90f1687753afc35f64e37ca63

Any input would be apreciated!

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
Re: Inital Armor Concept plans
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2022, 02:06 AM »
My favorite color combination.  :8):

Second Son

• Awards Special Weapons EnviroOps Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2022, 11:32 AM »
Purple (Deep Blue? Blurple?) and gold works! This design is pretty rad and would stand out in a good way.

Some review items:
Be wary of your soft parts being dark vest on dark flight suit, monotone makes it harder to read the layers. If the fabrics are different weights and/or weaves they will catch light and weathering differently and fade at different rates, so it may not be a big issue. Just keep an eye out and make sure they read as distinct layers. Making one layer lighter will eliminate the problem and keep the overall monochrome feel, but it is not required by any means.

Yes, kamas are permitted in P/I CRLs (under Soft Parts -> Other Soft Parts -> first item in the list: Kamas are acceptable and can be of a canon or custom design. Kamas must cover at least 1/3 of the total waist circumference.). Since they are one of the options for an accessory that's required for Gunslinger, I'd plan on having one, since dusters aren't permitted in P/I and a poncho would cover up your sweet paint job.

Loincloths are not permitted for P/I(Last item covered, in the same list as kamas). Your concept image appears to have a cod also; skip the loin cloth and you'll be fine.
Since you are thinking brigades, and your armor level is looking Medium to Heavy, you'll eventually need the cod plate anyway. For initial app you could skip it, as you have six of four lower body armor pieces. You might also consider applying with shin plates and knees, and adding thighs and cod as part of your Gunslinger upgrades.

For your shoulder armor, you can scale and trim away at the profile of Din style pauldrons, or you can use Fett-style, or you can create a custom variant that's unique to you. As long as they are mounted well and sit comfortably they shouldn't interfere with your gunslinging. Keep your Ruus'alor in the loop and check through the Q&A if you're doing custom designs.

Similar to my thoughts on the leg and lower body armor, you might have the bicep plates be part of upgrades for Application Round Two: This Time It's Brigades.

Keep in mind for Gunslinger: in addition to the minimum of three pistols and a scattering of knives (1 combat knife or 3 throwers, or a combination 1+2), you'll also need a short-barreled two-handed blaster, and at least one explosive. There's other required accessories but that's a problem for Future Sessik.

Minor things aside, this is a solid looking design and I'm looking forward to seeing it getting built.

« Reply #4 on: Feb 20, 2022, 12:11 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I was a little concrened about the flak/flight suit combo colors and you have a good point. probably go with a gray for one of them. As for the pauldrons, and well the whole kit, I just purchesed an Ender 3 V2 3D printer and plan on printing it all myself, blasters, armor all of it. So it's good to know I can play with the style of Din's pauldrons a bit as I really like the shiloutte of them, but maybe just a bit shorter or liek you said go with one side a Fett style for the right arm and Din style on the left. I kinda dig the whole asymetrical look.

That siad I know there are some 3d printer resources on the forums/club site but I cannot find them if anyone could point me in their direction that would be great.

Updated color scheme and other changes
« Reply #5 on: Feb 20, 2022, 04:08 PM »
Ok so I updated the color scheme a bit, still not sure what color to go with the vest to offset the black flight suit.. thought purple but then its to much purple even for me, and I don;t think a yellow fabric would look good.. But heres an updated mandomaker of it

https://gyazo.com/7c6205d21288d00aecd0d6b27e53b657

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!