Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Cailynn’s Modern Kit WIP

• 9 Replies
Cailynn’s Modern Kit WIP
« on: Feb 20, 2022, 06:01 AM »
So I started this kit a few months ago, but due to other commitments I had to shelve it for a while. In the meantime my boyfriend raced ahead with his kit, so this last week he’s been helping me catch up. Here’s what I have so far:

I finally finished up the flight suit I started, which turned out pretty good. I might upgrade in the future if I can find something that matches the colour, but this should be good enough for initial approval.

The vest is a pre-quilted fabric sewn from a t-shirt pattern, with a Velcro closure at the back. I love it already, it feels very military. It might get shortened depending on how the waist items sit but it’s fine for now. The only thing I’m not sure about is the shoulder tabs, I’ll have Post-Imperial style shoulder bells, so I don’t know if the tabs are needed. The CRls don’t seem to say anything specific so I’ve left them off for now.

The boots are my favourite part, I’m hesitant to actually attach armour to them because I wear them so much already, but I knew as soon as I saw them they would be perfect.

The gloves are just basic safety gloves, the logos are hidden by the straps In the first pictures but I’ll find a more permanent solution before I’m done.

Next up is the neck seal, then I need to get some belts and pouches and that’s my soft parts done!

Matchstick1021

• Your Daily Splash of Orange
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
Re: Cailynn’s Modern Kit WIP
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2022, 12:23 PM »
Everything looks great!

You’re right about the shoulders, the flared out ones wouldn’t really work well with the shoulder bells, so you don’t have to use that style.

Keep it up!

Sucking at something is the first step towards being sort of good at something.
MMCC#2424
Rancor Clan
Traffic Cone #38

Aster Veris

• "Monarch of mud"
  • Awards EnviroOps Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2022, 04:11 PM »
Looking good, I love the boots as well!

OM #2630 | BM #394 | they/them | mav oya'la clan |IG: @ plant.alorian | Aster WIP
« Reply #3 on: Mar 01, 2022, 05:01 AM »
Everything looks great!

You’re right about the shoulders, the flared out ones wouldn’t really work well with the shoulder bells, so you don’t have to use that style.

Keep it up!

Thanks! Vest is good to go then.

Looking good, I love the boots as well!

Thank you, the chunky soles yelled “Mando!” At me as I walked by in the store! :P

I finished my neck seal!

It’s the same fabric as my flightsuit, with a bit of quilt batting in the middle and some lines stitched in to give it a fluted look.

We also spent some time reshaping my boyfriend’s old plates to fit me.

The spacing looks a little funky in the pictures, just because of the angles they’re sitting at. The floating edges will also be fixed on the final mounting.

And a shot of everything laid out!

Obviously missing are the helmet and gauntlets. Our helmets shipped this morning!  :porg2: They should be here in a week or so. We’re also looking at gauntlets right now, and our top pick is a resin printed set from KalevalaArmory. Does anyone have experience with them? I’ll add the link for reference.

https://www.etsy.com/nz/listing/1038984377/mandalorian-gauntlets?ref=shop_home_feat_1

Aster Veris

• "Monarch of mud"
« Reply #4 on: Mar 03, 2022, 07:25 PM »
Looking good! I don't have experience with that shop but judging from the pictures they look really nice

OM #2630 | BM #394 | they/them | mav oya'la clan |IG: @ plant.alorian | Aster WIP

Fenn Beviin

• MMCC #: 2116
  • Awards Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member
« Reply #5 on: Mar 10, 2022, 09:34 AM »
Everything is looking pretty great so far!

Spacing of the all the torso plates does look off though. With how your plates sit currently, you'll just need to bring the neck side part of the collar plate even with the edge of the flak vest, move the chest plates about a 1/4 in closer to your shoulders and drop the ab plate down a small bit. For traditional style Mando armor, you should have about a thumbs width of space between them.

"Try not to become a man of success, but a man of value."

Instagram: mythos_fenn_shysa

Mythos Fenn Arms (A Sales Thread): https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=174182.msg2066382#new

Fenn Shysa WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=80765.0

Blaster Addiction - So many Blasters: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=110659.msg1820500

Aster Veris

• "Monarch of mud"
« Reply #6 on: Mar 11, 2022, 12:34 AM »
I second Fenn about the spacing! You just want a bit more room between plates.

« Reply #7 on: Mar 11, 2022, 06:37 PM »
Looking good! I don't have experience with that shop but judging from the pictures they look really nice

Thanks! We’ve ordered one set, and they have more stock on the way.

Everything is looking pretty great so far!

Spacing of the all the torso plates does look off though. With how your plates sit currently, you'll just need to bring the neck side part of the collar plate even with the edge of the flak vest, move the chest plates about a 1/4 in closer to your shoulders and drop the ab plate down a small bit. For traditional style Mando armor, you should have about a thumbs width of space between them.

I second Fenn about the spacing! You just want a bit more room between plates.

Thanks guys, I thought they were a little tight looking at the pictures afterwards. We adjusted them a little and they ended up spacing out perfectly with my fancy new girth belt!

It’s woven paracord with elastic and buckle closures. We’re making some pouches today so my waist items are almost done.

Fenn Beviin

• MMCC #: 2116
  • Awards Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member
« Reply #8 on: Mar 14, 2022, 12:58 PM »
New spacing looks great!

When you wear the girth belt on the kit, just make sure you have some space between the ab plate and the girth belt. Looks like the edges of your chest plates and ab plates might need a little more shaping but all in all, great work  :like:

"Try not to become a man of success, but a man of value."

Instagram: mythos_fenn_shysa

Mythos Fenn Arms (A Sales Thread): https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=174182.msg2066382#new

Fenn Shysa WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=80765.0

Blaster Addiction - So many Blasters: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=110659.msg1820500

Aster Veris

• "Monarch of mud"
« Reply #9 on: Mar 15, 2022, 01:31 AM »
As fenn said you may need to shape the edges a little bit more, and I would shorten the ab plate a little! Just a bit so there's a bigger space between the bottom of the plate and the top of your girth belt.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!