Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

helmet padding

• 2 Replies
helmet padding
« on: Jul 02, 2022, 05:14 PM »
Hey so I just got my night owl helmet and am in the process of sanding and painting. It fits well but needs to be a bit more snug / secure / comfortable. I was thinking of using motorcycle helmet inserts. Any advice? 

Second Son

• Awards Special Weapons EnviroOps Special Operations Brigade Member
Re: helmet padding
« Reply #1 on: Jul 02, 2022, 11:32 PM »
There are lots of ways to skin this beast. Motorcycle helmet pads have been used, I'm sure.  For a low-cost solution you can also use airsoft/tacti-cool helmet pads, they are fairly cheap and plentiful on the Big River.  They are also re-positionable to tune the fit (I expect quality moto helmet pads are much the same). You could use a suspension like in a hard hat as well. Strips of EVA foam, or even blue camp pads glued in could also serve in a pinch.

There aren't really any wrong answers as long as it is comfortable to wear, and it keeps your bucket where you want it.

AboveAverageGeek

• They/Them
Re: helmet padding
« Reply #2 on: Jul 08, 2022, 07:56 PM »
Hi there! I used suspension straps that I pulled directly out of a thrifted hardhat. I know that in the future I probably want electronics in my bucket, so I wanted all the extra room I could get. Consider what you want your helmet to look like at the end, and what functionality you want it to have.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!