Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Mir'Wer's Soft Parts

• 11 Replies

AboveAverageGeek

• They/Them
Mir'Wer's Soft Parts
« on: Feb 22, 2022, 07:48 PM »
Hey everyone! I'm really enjoying moving from planning to actual WIPs. I was intending to post the patterning process for my flak vest today, but I got very excited and whoops it's done. Attached are pics of details. If anyone wants pictures or more information on how I patterned just let me know.

Apologies for the cat hair/threads/dirty mirror.

Re: Mir'Wer's Soft Parts
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2022, 09:11 PM »
I really like the flaps to cover the zippers, it's a smart idea.  Mine is in the back and I'm not sure if I'm going to have to cover it or not.

AboveAverageGeek

• They/Them
« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2022, 11:11 PM »
I really like the flaps to cover the zippers, it's a smart idea.  Mine is in the back and I'm not sure if I'm going to have to cover it or not.
Thanks! Definitely not my idea, though I can't remember exactly who I stole it from. Zipper, wise I believe the CRLs state that no zipper pull may be visible. Honestly for you it will probably depend on exactly how your plates are situated/presence of cape/ zipper orientation.

Arco'thyel Wyshla

• Certified crazy cat mando
« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2022, 06:33 PM »
Impressive work!

I'm interested in how you patterned it -- any tips? I'm very new and very intimidated to sewing!

| Hard Goods WIP | Soft Goods WIP | Planning Log |

"Visit Mandalore before Mandalore visits you. Take home some souvenirs—a slab of uj cake and a smack in the mouth." ―Baltan Carid

"Don’t take this the wrong way you guys, but uh, Mandalorians are crazy." ―Ezra Bridger

AboveAverageGeek

• They/Them
« Reply #4 on: Feb 24, 2022, 08:57 PM »
Impressive work!

I'm interested in how you patterned it -- any tips? I'm very new and very intimidated to sewing!

I can send some pics of the patterns that I made but I basically just grabbed a vest that I knew was a little bit loose on me and then traced it's outline on some butcher paper. The looseness meant that I didn't have to account for seam allowance which is always the bane of my existence. I then cut out that pattern and traced two of them onto my scrap fabric. I sewed the seams together and then wriggled into it to check fit. Once I was happy I traced the pattern onto my fabric using white crayon cut it out, then sewed it. I figured out ahead of time which parts I wanted finished edges on and which I didn't need to make some of the sewing more simplified. I have a very small chest and used the same pattern for front and back, but most people won't be able to do that.

Arco'thyel Wyshla

« Reply #5 on: Feb 25, 2022, 02:18 PM »
Thanks for the tips -- sounds doable! I'll have to try it out.

"Visit Mandalore before Mandalore visits you. Take home some souvenirs—a slab of uj cake and a smack in the mouth." ―Baltan Carid

"Don’t take this the wrong way you guys, but uh, Mandalorians are crazy." ―Ezra Bridger

AboveAverageGeek

• They/Them
« Reply #6 on: Mar 02, 2022, 01:44 PM »
Acquired a belt and some boots.
Big questions:
Boots~ I plan on covering the zippers, but is there anything else I need to do to make them more swarzy? Other consideration was to change the rivet.
Belt~ The plan is this is the base for my gun belt. I have some additional leatherish fabric in green that I want to incorporate. As far as this goes is there an issue with my gun belt being made of two different colors of material? Also, is the belt buckle swarzy enough as is or do I need to change it out?

I have my flight suit already, pictures to be posted at another time. I am almost done with my neck seal as well, it just needs some velcro for its closure.

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #7 on: Mar 02, 2022, 05:30 PM »
Personally, the boots look fine as is. Since the zipper is on the inside of the leg, and color matches the boot, it doesn’t need to be covered, so you’re good there.

« Reply #8 on: Mar 02, 2022, 09:41 PM »
I think Tramp is right, re: the boots. Some leg greeblies, like Din's, or a rebel pilot's leg flares would be potentially awesome though.

AboveAverageGeek

• They/Them
« Reply #9 on: Apr 11, 2022, 06:34 PM »
Apologies for the necro-post, irl stuff has been kicking my butt.
However! Lots of progress has been made. My kama is complete (for now) and oh boy, I adore it. Also this was my first time putting all of my softs on (cape not included) and it felt really awesome.

Arco'thyel Wyshla

« Reply #10 on: Apr 15, 2022, 12:47 AM »
That is a really cool silhouette you have going on, very assassin-looking!

« Reply #11 on: Apr 16, 2022, 01:15 PM »
Love the soft parts! Looking great

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!