Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Bo Katan style chest plate-pic heavy

• 14 Replies

GardenGeek

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more
Bo Katan style chest plate-pic heavy
« on: Feb 01, 2022, 01:22 AM »
After watching season 2 of the Mandalorian, I fell in love with Bo Katans armour so I decided to challenge myself to build her chestplate to fit my chest (34i). Using a sloper that I drafted, I started drafting my patterns for the chest plate.

I cut the plates from 6mm black Sintra

And formed the centre piece to my chest wearing a tshirt and the bra I wanted to wear with my kit. I’m going to be going with a leather vest this time, drafting the pattern using the same sloper as I did for the chest plate.  I marked “notches” on the vest and side pieces to make sure everything lined up.

After that, I carefully heated and shaped the side pieces, and attached them using Weldon 16, and then used free form air to fill any gaps. I also used 1/4” wide tape to draw the line that I would cut out. I wanted the gap between the plates to be 1/4”, so I removed a 1/4”.

The next step for me was to remove the center diamond spacing. I definitely annoyed some people asking for opinions 🙂 after I removed the diamond, I backed the centre with 3 mm sintra, gluing again with Weldon 16. I also inserted a chest diamond I made, which I ended up removing before moulding.

At this point I made an ab plate, which was built with 1 piece of sintra, with a trough cut into the back to allow it to fold when heated. Nice sharp edge with no filling needed.  The notches were cut using an exacto knife and a very small chisel.

Then i had a loving friend let me know that I made the plate too high, so back under the knife it goes.

And made the under plate.

Finally ready for its final steps, it was time for a wetsand.

And paint

And then moulding and a first cast!

Finally, she’s painted.

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
Re: Bo Katan style chest plate-pic heavy
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2022, 03:04 AM »
Looking sweet. I can’t wait to see the full kit.

Sabine

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2022, 08:12 AM »
This turned out incredibly. I honestly have no idea how to use a sloper, but this makes me want to learn like, yesterday.

Sabine Wren S2

Tra'cor Clan || MMCC#1593 || M5#71 || NOS#9 || 61 OM Invasions

GardenGeek

« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2022, 02:23 PM »
Sabine- I wrote out the tutorial for making slopers, I tried to simplify it as much as I could. I can see if I can find my notes and write it out for you if you want 🙂 Id appreciate someone looking it over.

corriban

• Mercs War Correspondent
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2022, 04:42 PM »
Absolutely incredible work and super inspiring. The attention to detail is next level.

Zasiya Adenn V2 | Dee Ca'tra
MERC #1078 | KOVA #0011 | M5 #42 | QMU #019 | ALLUMINATI #027 | PMS #003

slyski

• no, that's just my face. I promise
« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2022, 08:22 AM »
absolutely in love with how this turned out. one of these days I'll work up the courage to try and shape my sintra lol. can't wait to see the entire kit!

Fabian

• The guy on the bounty puk is not me I promise
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2022, 09:25 AM »
This Paintjob is amazing
Also your work with Sinatra  :o :o
Really impressed  :like:

This is the way
Mando name : Azrud Shurd
Up to date WIP: https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=207106.msg2255614#msg2255614

Arco'thyel Wyshla

• Certified crazy cat mando
« Reply #7 on: Feb 03, 2022, 12:38 AM »
Very nice work! Your sintra finesse is inspiring!

I was planning to make my PI chest piece out of sintra too. Is there a reason why you molded and casted it instead of using the sintra version?

Also, that gloss black paint is beautiful -- would be a great base for chrome! What brand is it? Do you have any tips on getting that smooth finish without orange peel?

| Hard Goods WIP | Soft Goods WIP | Planning Log |

"Visit Mandalore before Mandalore visits you. Take home some souvenirs—a slab of uj cake and a smack in the mouth." ―Baltan Carid

"Don’t take this the wrong way you guys, but uh, Mandalorians are crazy." ―Ezra Bridger

GardenGeek

« Reply #8 on: Feb 03, 2022, 11:14 AM »
I molded it because I wanted to make more than one without having to actually make more than one 😋   The sintra version is great, and I love the fit. There’s no real reason that you couldn’t use the sintra version in a kit. All my previous chest plates have been sintra only.

The black is Alclad black gloss applied with an airbrush in a spray booth, the filler primer I used underneath is a automotive filler primer. I used a tack cloth before applying the alclad.  I did 2 or so layers of the alclad.

Sabine

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #9 on: Feb 03, 2022, 02:00 PM »
Sabine- I wrote out the tutorial for making slopers, I tried to simplify it as much as I could. I can see if I can find my notes and write it out for you if you want 🙂 Id appreciate someone looking it over.
Absolutely! I'd even go so far as to recommend submitting to the education team.

Sabine Wren S2

GardenGeek

« Reply #10 on: Feb 03, 2022, 07:48 PM »
Absolutely! I'd even go so far as to recommend submitting to the education team.

I’m on the education team 😋

Falke

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din
« Reply #11 on: Feb 04, 2022, 07:26 AM »
This looks absolutley awesome!

Sabine

« Reply #12 on: Feb 04, 2022, 12:59 PM »
yesterday was a looong day  :laugh:

Sabine Wren S2

Celtkhan

• Want some soup?
« Reply #13 on: Feb 04, 2022, 03:14 PM »

“I am the Brute Squad!”

« Reply #14 on: Feb 17, 2022, 07:11 PM »
I would like information on making the sloper, please!

We hate the hawk because he ever lives in battle. ~Ovid

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!