Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Kody's Death Watch WIPin thread

• 13 Replies

MSF Productions

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
Kody's Death Watch WIPin thread
« on: Feb 28, 2022, 12:00 PM »
Okay here goes something.
Simultaneously working on this and another because I'm a mad lad.
I'm calling this Death Boi.  Mainly because I use the word "boi" a LOT.

I'll start by taking inventory of everything I have and everything I don't have and the plans to acquire what I don't have.

What I have:
Helmet - MinuteFett kit
Flight Suit - 2  Piece from Gwabo
Flak Vest - From Gwabo
Boots - those Funtasma Captain boots - got them on amazon
Leather parts - boot wraps, pouches, holster - got from Leather3Dneon on etsy
Gloves - got them off Amazon
Belt - got off of ebay for like $10
Blasters: Westar 35 from Crossfire 3D & a DW rifle from 3dprintoys on etsy
Armor files from GreatApe
File for that cylinder thing that goes in the boot wrap
Lots of bondo
Plenty of acrylic paints for weathering
Even MOAR sandpaper
The paints
Plenty of velcro

What I don't have & how I plan to get them:
The physical armor.  Shoulders, chest, knees, gaunts, neck things, hand plates, buttplate, thighs
--I plan to print it all myself
The physical cylinder thing that goes in the boot wrap
--will print myself
The Jetpack
-- I have no idea.  May print it myself from the DW files my Ruus directed me to on thingiverse.  Although I wanted a resin cast- I reached out to a guy recommended in the FB group and got no response.  So the Ruus & I are passively looking for alternatives.  Since printing it is going to be so much sanding and the folder feels like there are about 50 individual STLs.
Jetpack harness?
--I have no idea on that battlefield.

Okay the cool part.  PHOTOS.
Disclaimer.  I tend to hyper document nowadays.
I also tend to work in bursts.
We'll start with documentation of all the stuff I have before I dive into the progress of the bucket.   :porg1: :porg1:

Flight Suit

Flak Vest

After talking to my Ruus, the white shoulder collar parts need to be greyed out.  I hope I understand that right.  Don't know the path to go about that since dying things is out of my skillset and I wouldn't want to end up butchering this vest.

Belt w/the pouches & holster

Pretty sure I need to beat up the buckle to make it correct if I recall from talking with my Ruus.  Can't remember how we talked about how that could be achieved.

Boot wraps

Gloves

Westar print

DW rifle print

HELMET TIME :porg2: :porg2: :porg2:
Photos of the raw cast when I got it & initial trimmings/ a try on

Several days later and took a leap of faith and cut out the visor in one sitting at 1am

Threw in the visor as for a test fit

Cat intermission

Metallic coat
(Forgot to take a photo of it primed.)

Montana Odyssey Blue coat

Masking & painting for/with the Montana Hydra Blue

Masking & painting for/with rest of the helmet with Rustoleum Oasis Blue as a substitute for what they used in the show.

Masking & painting for/with the Molotow purple

Helmet Weathering

Masking & painting the cheeks w/Rustoleum Charcoal Gray (gloss finish)

Somewhere after this, I dulled the grey and painted on the cheek stripes

Rangefinder section

I jumped the gun on the actual rangefinding part, that part is currently being painted and awaiting documentation.  I'll talk about that in le next WIPin post for Death boi. 

Bryn Cin'Prudii

• ~What killed the dinosaurs? THE ICE AGE!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Airmobile brigade member Shock Infantry Brigade Member Special Weapons EnviroOps
Re: Kody's Death Watch WIPin thread
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28, 2022, 12:12 PM »
This is one of my recruits! Keep up the great work Kodii!

Cerar Clan OM#1935 Tri-Division Brigade Member#262
Apply to Brigades here!
New Item Approval

Mi'ix

• Ideals are peaceful. History is violent.
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Brigades Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Boba and Jango
« Reply #2 on: Feb 28, 2022, 12:15 PM »
Gwabo is getting better, but still a ways to go, I'm afraid.

The suit is a good shade of gray, but there should be some purple tones to it. You'll have to dye it to get the right look.

Vest definitely needs to be closer in color. I shouldn't look at the body panel of the vest and have it be a really noticeable difference than the shoulders. Might be your lighting, but I prefer the color of the straps over the vest body panels.

Buckle isn't quite right with some of the details. The found one is a brown top grain slide belt with a graphite buckle. There should be an indented rectangular border that goes around the buckle instead of those horizontal lines you have.

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

Mandalorian Mercs Brigade Application Form

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Tra'cor Clan || M.V.S. #41|| M.A.B.E.L. #60 || 72 Official Invasions

MSF Productions

« Reply #3 on: Feb 28, 2022, 12:54 PM »
Gwabo is getting better, but still a ways to go, I'm afraid.

The suit is a good shade of gray, but there should be some purple tones to it. You'll have to dye it to get the right look.

Vest definitely needs to be closer in color. I shouldn't look at the body panel of the vest and have it be a really noticeable difference than the shoulders. Might be your lighting, but I prefer the color of the straps over the vest body panels.

Buckle isn't quite right with some of the details. The found one is a brown top grain slide belt with a graphite buckle. There should be an indented rectangular border that goes around the buckle instead of those horizontal lines you have.

This was a very well needed curveball.  I am not comfortable with dying or bleaching.  I really wouldn't want to butcher the vest or poison myself?  So color me cautious and hesitant on working with chemicals.
I'll do the wet color method on the suit for the purple hue.
Will be working with Rob on the vest.  All I know is- with enough spray paint, anything is possible.  Similar in approach to how the Endor Commandos do some of their camo. 

About the belt.  Aren't the actual belts like $60?  Finding a belt with the right buckle that matches the rest of the leather parts is my main concern. 

Many many many thanks.  First canon kit and I'm both ready and not ready for the amount of headaches this process will absolutely give me!

MSF Productions

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2022, 03:57 AM »
Long time, little progress.  But any progress is good progress for my first canon kit.
So, did some metal paint chipping on my bucket.  Weathered the rangefinder parts.  I still have yet to get the rf attached.

Printed the little cylinder that goes into the boot wrap. 

Currently in the works.

Printing Armor
-I'm trying to print a shoulder bell.  As I type this, it's at 3% and is going to roughly be a 44 hour print.
I've got access to the printer at my college's leadership center, I'll be meeting with people there next Friday.  The goal here is to have 2 things going at the same time. 

Soft Parts
-Flak Vest: My ruus has my flak vest, making it the off white color its supposed to be.  Will be linking up at the end of June
-Flight suit: I'm wet dying the flight suit a purple hue.  I'm trying to at least. 

-Leather pouches, boot wraps & holster:  Nothing has changed, still have them
-Leather belt: Have it saved in a cart.  Will be ordering it eventually

Blasters
I have both the DW rifle and Westar 35, haven't made progress on them since the initial post. 
I'm going to work on smoothing each part on the rifle individually before assembling the entire thing.

I think that's all for now.  I'll be sure post photos of how the purple-ing of the flightsuit goes.

MSF Productions

« Reply #5 on: Jul 06, 2022, 02:24 AM »
Most recent shenanigans

Abstract
-Got the flight suit purple hue
-Got the correct belt from slidebelts
-Started undying/color removing gray from vest.  It's getting there.
-Finished MinuteFett helmet kit
-Sliced all the armor for 3D printing

The goods

Flight suit
I did another round of spray dying with purple acrylics sometime since my last post and now.  I still wasn't sure until I got to show it to my Ruus, Bryn Cin'Prudi in person. 
One day I'll get the lighting setup to help show the purple better in photos.

Belt 
Got the right belt now.  Graphite belt and all that jazz.

Vest
Spent a day using the RIT color remove on the vest.
Photo 1
 the first round to show how gray the gray was.

Photo 2
On the left is a sample from Bryn Cin'Prudi's V1 vest.
On the right is my vest after the fourth round of the RIT color remover

Photo 3
Took a black and white photo to help with seeing the color variation.  (It's a weird art school trick I learned a few years ago)
(For some reason I changed the positions of the vest sample and my vest-)
Left is mine
Right is Ruusalor V1 sample

Photo 4
Did a low light test to help see the difference more.
Left = mine
Right = Ruusalor sample

It's getting there.

Armor
Sliced all the armor (except the knees) into GCode for 3D printing.  Will start some prints thursday.

Helmet
That bad boi is done.  Took me ages to dish up the nerves in getting the rangefinder mounted.  But I did it.

Next Steps
-Get prints going.
-Get the knee armor sizing down and prep that Gcode
-Hand the small pieces: Diamond, knee dart things, & separate gauntlet details to local College D&D club president those STLs to throw on our club's resin printer
-Do more RIT color removing on the vest
-Put some padding in the helmet
-Maybe continue working on the rifle and pistol
-figure out the jetpack stuff

In conclusion
I sense a speedrun once I get all the armor printed.

Going for a 1 Stripe Death Boi

« Last Edit: Jul 06, 2022, 02:30 AM by MSF Productions » Logged

MSF Productions

« Reply #6 on: Jul 14, 2022, 09:03 PM »
Soft parts stuff and Printing  :8):

Flight suit stuff is fun.  The suit dying was the easy part.  The vest undying is what's driving me crazy, but I think it's just about there.

I just need to match the shoulder things with the rest of the vest.
Do forgive any random spots that aren't strategically tucked nicely, putting on the Gwabo suit alone at 3am was difficult.

The vibes were good when I was taking these photos.

Vest stuff.  After 5 rounds of RIT Color remover and a round of bleach

The above photo was the day after Round 5 (which was the bleach round)

Indoor photo is round 6.  (color remover)  And I set it side by side with the vest sample from my Ruus.

The vest is what's driving me crazy- even though I'm an art major.  Some more insight would be loved.   :8):

In the meantime, I obsessively prepped all the armor files in cura and wrote them all down.  Set aside 3 rolls of filament. 
The little detail parts on the gauntlets, knees and chest diamond are all being resin printed as we speak.  I think the chest diamond is done, but I'll be grabbing everything from my pal whose printing it sometime this week or next week.

MSF Productions

« Reply #7 on: Jul 29, 2022, 01:55 AM »
Vest stuff and blaster!

Small leap in the vest.  Big-ish leap on the DW rifle. 
Got the vest real light and had my the scrap vest sample from the good old Ruus as reference. 

Got onto darkening up the straps later on that day.

Currently leaving that as is until I eventually get the armor printed.

Rifle vibes!
In short, I went absolutely ham one rough sanding, bondoing, filler primer-ing, and sanding.  I got I think 2 rounds of all the main body parts and 1 extra round on smaller more intricate areas.

TONS of photos.

Already know the front areas of the grip will need some love.

That's most definitely all for now.  I have a bunch of gubbins that got printed in resin.  Will have my friend with our D&D club resin drop those off. 

MSF Productions

« Reply #8 on: Jul 29, 2022, 07:16 PM »
Resin printed gubbins picked up
Chest diamond, little missiles, missile holder, gauntlet gubbins, knee dart pieces and boot wrap cylinder

MSF Productions

« Reply #9 on: Aug 05, 2022, 01:59 PM »
Stuff is now printing!

Got the updated Great Ape shoulder bells and hand plates off the school printer earlier this week. 
They're already scaled up by default + with the changes he did.  Much hype!
I already got some sanding started on one shoulder and the hand plates.

Shoulder 1 w/80 grit sandage.

Shoulder 2 with a minor shift in one spot.  Sanding and bondo will fix that easily.

Did some rough sanding on the hand plates

Hand plate test placement shenanigans

Shoulder bell stuff
Really janky upper body fitting with the new Great Ape shoulders.  I'm also 5ft 5, so these are already pretty huge on my smol frame.
Rob likes the sizing on them.  One thing I already know to do next thanks to him is bring the sleeves up.

My personal solution is roll them up inwards and glob E6000 inside so they'll be snug.  I don't have intricate sewing skills...yet?
That's my usual go to, any job can be accomplished with enough glue or velcro!

After some brainstorming we found a solution, I have a friend in my college's theatre department who makes his own clothes.  So having him do that change on the sleeves won't be too hard to ask.  When I go to ask him, how can I word it in a costume/clothing/sewers terms?

Next steps!
Find the time to get the shoulders and hand plates smoooooth.
Continue printing!  I'm pretty sure the neck epaulettes are done, I just have to go up to campus and grab them.  Butt plate will probably be printing today, I'll be able to grab it next week.

Bryn Cin'Prudii

• ~What killed the dinosaurs? THE ICE AGE!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Airmobile brigade member Shock Infantry Brigade Member Special Weapons EnviroOps
« Reply #10 on: Aug 06, 2022, 01:53 PM »
Progress! Still recommend sewing the sleeve if at all possible. E6000 will wear out MUCH faster over time, especially as you get sweaty. Source: Me.

Cerar Clan OM#1935 Tri-Division Brigade Member#262
Apply to Brigades here!
New Item Approval

MSF Productions

« Reply #11 on: Aug 06, 2022, 01:55 PM »
Super janky test fitting with the neck epaulettes, shoulder bells, and hand plates
Gaff tape came in clutch for temporarily holding everything into place.

I think I still have to roll the outer sleeves about another inch up, then pin them for either lots of E6000 or my sewing friend. 

Currently shopping for some chicago screws for the chest plate since I have a print file to help mount screws onto the vest.

Going back to the drawing board with the Westar 35 actually!
I have this westar file and a lot of the tiny gubbins can be printed separately, I'll send those STLs to my Resin printer friend and print the main body pieces myself.  I can't remember who I got the files from.  I'll have to go check my Etsy purchases.

Until next time!

MSF Productions

« Reply #12 on: Aug 12, 2022, 04:01 PM »
I've been on what I think people call "a roll."

Some serious work got done.
Shoulders
Neck epaulettes
Hand plates
Chest diamond
Rifle
Gauntlet pad
Knee dart things
Boot cylinder

Shoulder bells

Blue that was recommended in a tutorial series by another Death Watch costumer.

Hands/Neck layout

Neck epaulettes

Hand plates

Saw some print lines on the hand plates after a regular coat of primer was sprayed on, so threw some bondo on those spots and cleaned them up.

Rifle
Gave the rifle some extra love in some areas with bondo and gradually started attaching the gubbins that weren't attached to the main body.

Other small pieces
Sanded and primed the resin pieces I had printed out and painted the chest diamond.

Results so far!

Shoulders, neck, and hand plates all painted with the base blue.  Just need to weather them down to be consistent with the helmet weathering and coloring.

Same pieces just in more direct sunlight.

Chest diamond!

The scope isn't glued in place yet, needs some extra love.  But the rest of the rifle is ready to go.

Next steps. 
-Waiting for stencils to show up for painting the 1 stripe, shriekhawk onto the shoulders + the stripes on the thigh, thigh and I think knees.
-Weather weather weather
-Finish that scope and paint the rifle
-Continue to think about the jetpack.  (Because a one piece resin cast JP sounds like a smaller headache than 3D printing 36ish pieces from the Slush files)
-Maybe get the pieces I have mounted while I continue to print the rest?

MSF Productions

« Reply #13 on: Aug 13, 2022, 05:34 AM »
Weathering the armor I have & a top half suit up!

Pre weathering

Post weathering

-Planning to hit the armor parts with a flat or matte clear coat in a few days so the paint can cure & eliminate the risk of orange peeling.
-Also waiting for the paint stencils to ship/arrive

Armor mounting & putting it on

Still working on the rifle-currently in the garage, black paint is drying and need to get the scope sanded again.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!