Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Sting Like a Bumble Bee - Soft Part WIP

• 4 Replies
Sting Like a Bumble Bee - Soft Part WIP
« on: Mar 04, 2022, 09:32 AM »
Here we go on my first kit!

Concept: Post Imperial
The different Mando Makers worked best to help me get a sense of colors, but weren't perfect to match my sketch. I am planning to do pretty much everything from scratch because it sounds a  bit like an adventure I'd enjoy.

QUESTION: I am not sure what color to go with for my sash. Bumble Bee yellow strips are my accent color with a warm metal tone for the armor. Flightsuit is charcoal grey with a black flak vest. I'm thinking a subtle rust red for my scarf. I don't want too many colors all over the place...any thoughts?

This is the beginning of my armor sketches. Got some great feedback from a local AP - thanks guys!

Current progress on flight suit...
1. After WAY too much research I decided that I didn't want to make over scrubs, as ridiculously comfortable as they are. I have some basic sewing knowledge- so here we go! I do have a couple of sewing patters that I considered (a flightsuit pattern and a body suit pattern) but in the end I just went with make-you-own from some clothing that I had that I liked the fit of.  Here is a good "make your own leggings" tutorial I used : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwxbIke1DBs

2. Ordering fabric online is a mixed bag. The "2-way" stretch fabric was definitely 4-way which means I am double layering the pants so that the leg armor  doesn't cause too much stretch. I also want all the fun seam lines...so piecing everything together has been interesting. But the extra seams will also provide some more stability and structure for the leg armor.

3. I did order enough fabric to do a mock up - a simplified version to just check that my pattern was going to fit me right. Good thing too - my sleeves were acting like a tourniquet! And I adjusting the pants seems slightly to get the exact fit I wanted. Then adjusted my pattern and went to work!

4. For those interested in ALL the details... my fabric for my flight suit is: ITY Fabric Polyester Lycra Knit Jersey 2 Way Spandex Stretch 58" Wide by The Yard (5 Yard, Charcoal) ...notice it claims to be 2-way. OH THE LIES!!!. I am using a twin stretch sewing needle for all the seams and top stitching.

Here's the final pattern pieces for the chest of the shirt (yes, I decided to be extra and go with raglan sleeves)

And this is the craziness of marking pattern pieces and cutting them out. For the double layer pants I have hand-basted the 2 layers together so they won't shift around on me as I put everything together.

The fabric for the flak vest is incoming - I wanted something with a lot of texture and couldn't find anything local. Still thinking about the kama. I think faux leather will just get too heavy so maybe a canvas? I want enough weight to it that it will re-settle itself after getting all caught up around my feet as it will do being so long.

Kir Ru'Kaya

• Ori'vorpan
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
Re: Sting Like a Bumble Bee - Soft Part WIP
« Reply #1 on: Mar 04, 2022, 09:38 AM »
OYA!

Nu Draar N'tsikala - It means never unprepared
O.M. #2189
M.A.J.I.C. #187
O.O.P.S.! #69 (ya... it's THAT bad)
Grey Brigade #64

Hiryu02

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #2 on: Mar 04, 2022, 09:52 AM »
This is some DETAILED planning. Looking forward to updates!

"The Cabal centurion opened up on her at point-blank, and we heard the most fearsome sound. She was laughing." - Monitor Type 2 Titan armor

"Only the armor lasts" - RC 8015, Fi Skirata
OM#2184
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2022, 09:41 AM »
So we are getting things done!
The shirt turned out the best (super proud of the double raglan sleeve). The pants aren't pictured because inevitably I made them too small so I'll have to see if I can scrounge from my scrapes to add a couple inches and not look terrible.

FLAK VEST
The flak vest I patterned off of a vest I owned that had some nice paneling. Traced over that vest and then worked to make it work. I wanted a side closure and the neckline totally different.... Anyway the brown is a thin suede I have enough scraps for. The black is an outdoor fabric (like to cover a porch chair cushion). I really wanted something with texture after my flight suit had such a smooth texture. I added interfacing to all the pieces. It was just straight seams with top stitching for detail/to keep the seams flat. I DID have to finish all the edges of the black fabric to prevent fraying.

THINGS I WOULD DO DIFFERENTLY (so far)
1. I think I would have preferred a different flight suit fabric. I love the fact you don't have to finish the edges on stretch fabric but it wasn't quite the whole look I was going for. Next time I would go with maybe a soft jean material with 2% elastic.

2. My flak vest pattern needed some help. It's a bit constrictive in the middle of the chest area. I just didn't fully account for the changes I was making from the original.

Xplosiv

• Speak softly and carry a big stick
« Reply #4 on: Jun 07, 2022, 09:39 AM »
Sorry if this is weird but just wanna say thank you so much for posting this xD Still in the concept phase and hoping to start having something physical to work with in the next few weeks (work schedule permitting), but one of my big mental roadblocks was how I wanted to do the flak vest. Looking at a bunch of examples around here, from just basic vests to looking into how to convert a plate carrier to an approvable vest, nothing was just clicking. But seeing your design hit me with massive inspiration and I think I've finally figured out how I want mine to be! (Pending getting some materials and the missus and I brushing off some seriously dusty sewing skills xD)

So just wanted to say Vor Entye! (Still getting the hang of this Mando'a thing xD)

Armor Concept | Soft Parts WIP
----------------------------------------
Practice/Display Helmet

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!