Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Orianna's Mando - Clever Name Pending

• 22 Replies
Orianna's Mando - Clever Name Pending
« on: Mar 14, 2022, 02:04 PM »
Su cuy'gar!

After being around my local clan for closer to 7 or so years. Many delays, postponements, and general life happening I have FINALLY this time for real ACTUALLY started working on my kit! To keep it blunt I was in a toxic 2 year engagement with the ex-fiancée and COVID more or less left me on the back burner for quite sometime. I ordered a flak from Endloose on Etsy about 2 and a half years ago and have yet to get it so I kinda hit screw it and just reached out to someone on the forums to help me. And that's what lead me here. Bought some armor parts from a maker on Etsy (who was local to my area) and getting them resized a bit since I have pretty broad shoulders. Anyway here is a base idea of what I am going for! Things will change from then to now but I'll create a follow up for any major updates starting with the base layer and going to who knows where from there. So buckle up, enjoy the ride and watch via pictures as I try to get this done by the end of June.
https://imgur.com/OSqDbyz

OM# 2901
Cerar Clan - OM #48 Approved Kit #52
Approved on July 28, 2023
Build time: 1 Year 4 Months 18 Days
Re: Orianna's Mando - Clever Name Pending
« Reply #1 on: Mar 14, 2022, 02:18 PM »
Probably should have started the post earlier then updated as I went but how about post then a follow-up update? Good? Great! Cheers.
So as I mentioned I have been around the local clan for the past almost decade I have had things or bought things over the time. I had the flight suit for a hot minute. Its a Rothco light weight suit. Like hardly weights a pound an a half in total. The base belt I had for another costume for I can't even remember and I just picked up the large Rothco pouches at the hips for like $7 at the surplus store on the way home from the armor party yesterday. Took a bit of elbow gresse to get the pouch on the backside of the belt but wasn't too hard. The plan is to use a purple sash below the plates and put the belt there with my gun belt at my hips. The gloves are also Rothco like pretty much everything so far (You think Rothco would sponsor this build?). I got lucky on the boots. Costed me only $26 for a size 11 on Amazon (ya girl has big feet), they're London Fog branded and we're labeled as 'gently used' come to find out they were just returned and not worn a handful of times if at all. Neck seal is not final but it was one I used for a Kylo Ren (TFA) cosplay YEARS ago. But yea that's pretty much the base layer.

Belt
https://imgur.com/oVhTRhV
Base Front
https://imgur.com/p1ECzdb
Base Side
https://imgur.com/2RNMGVh

OM# 2901
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2022, 01:10 AM »
Okay so I'm bad at posting things sometimes. Okay I lied, all the times. Here's a dump of pics. So far I got my plates spot filled and ready to paint. The ab plate has already been done with a first base of paint. The plan for my paint is to paint the first layer, clear coat, layer 1, layer 2, troop for a bit. Then clear coat. Get that authentic weathering. But the armor was printed and designed by MakerBak3d on Etsy. HK is a Colorado local and made a connection plate that connects the chest and ab plates to make it approveable for Post-Imperial. Seriously, his work is gold.

Plates out of the box
https://imgur.com/a/17EiAof
Test Fitting
https://imgur.com/KFZ4jfa
Plates Primed and First Coat on Abs
https://imgur.com/RA7kwnU

OM# 2901
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2022, 03:14 PM »
So I finally decided on a name for my mando! Nova Hylor'an!

OM# 2901
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2022, 03:50 PM »
Okay so as previously mentioned. I suck at this posting here thing. That being said I will break this post up a bit. I started by painting the rest of the plates silver the link for that is below.
https://imgur.com/a/s4coSB7

After that naturally I later went on to painting the whole thing purple which was to be my base coat. After looking after it I was concerned that I would have to sand and repaint from square one. Thank you to Gamla in my clan for showing me how to wet sand before moving on.
https://imgur.com/a/H3crRL3

After the wetsand here is what it looked like with the tape on the plates since apparently I forgot to take a picture between the two steps.
https://imgur.com/a/1eOK9Tm

And after some relearning on how to paint using rattle can the night before, here it is! I give you probably my best painting work, maybe ever!
https://imgur.com/a/MiDkHuq

OM# 2901
Re: Orianna's Mando - Nova Haylor'an
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2022, 11:45 AM »
So I started doing my shoulder bells. I got one from the Clan that was donated to the 'Free Stuff Box' the STL was from MakerBak3d on Etsy the same guy who printed my chest, ab, and back plate. So Naturally I was excited! I went online to get a STL file that was similar just without the Mythosaur skull because I want to put my clans logo on that one. Oh. I also did the Iron Heart to start.

Printing the new bell (STL from MakerBke3d)
https://imgur.com/EHQhtNT

Primer filling the bell that I 3D printed
https://imgur.com/pxupzqB

Bells covered in the spot putty/acetone
https://imgur.com/SLlqLhe

Bells sanded after spot putty/acetone coating
https://imgur.com/MemarHO

Primer filled Iron Heart
https://imgur.com/5604dKD

Bells and Iron Heart after wet sand for paint prep. Sadly paint will have to wait till later as it is currently snowing and way too cold to paint more today.
https://imgur.com/akfnoep

OM# 2901
« Reply #6 on: Jun 02, 2022, 05:24 PM »
That looks like a nice start :) I like your color scheme.

Just remember that you will have to hide the zipper tabs on your flightsuit, and I thin it looks a bit baggy on the knees and elbows, you may have to tailor it a bit.

Ordeyn

• MMCC #0629
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #7 on: Jun 05, 2022, 11:03 PM »
The plate design is super awesome! And purple is my favorite color, so I'm hopelessly biased to your color scheme. :P You're doing an awesome job finishing up those 3-D printed plates. I'm so excited to see more!

I also wanted to pass on this tidbit of information about Imgur and posting photos:

If you use the "BBCode (Forums)", the photos will appear without clicking on the links first. It's a little easier to see the photos in the context of the commentary!

« Last Edit: Jun 08, 2022, 03:33 PM by Ordeyn » Logged
« Reply #8 on: Jul 04, 2022, 09:44 PM »
So I replied this on the wrong post. So, take two. I did a bit of work on my kit between two cons, moving, and starting a new job. Most the torso is done now. Just need to finish and attach a few things if that. I had a Flak lost in the mail from an order so I made my own. The one that I got was too small after I made this one so I'll probably give it to a new member to help them out later, you know, pay it forward or something. So for your viewing pleasure I give you, more progress.
Flak Front

Flak Back

Chest Finished

Bells Finished

OM# 2901

Ordeyn

• MMCC #0629
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #9 on: Nov 02, 2022, 12:03 AM »
That stinks that the vest got lost in the mail! But I'm glad you were able to make your own. :8): I love the two-tone color blocking.

Armor plates are looking good!!!

« Reply #10 on: Dec 22, 2022, 06:04 PM »
Okay so I did some stuff. Its a lot that I have yet to actually update so I'm going to separate them. First up the helmet!

Got the helmet ready for painting by using spot filler putty, sanding, and then filler primer. Forgot to take pictures because I got in the zone so here, Have the Hamerforged Silver base coat

Another party and a month or two later I got the Purple Layer painted and I got it taped. Again forgot to take pictures before I taped because i was in the zone

The next day I went over to a friends in the clan (Who also dose 501st stuff and painted more, Here's the black layer!

About 30 to 45 minutes later after litterly watching paint dry I got this. You can imagine my enjoyment as I pulled the tape.

What a nice clean coat of paint it would be a shame if I.... ruined it....

After some sanding and weathering for about 30 minutes of only wet sanding with 220 and 400 grit sand paper...BEHOLD!!!

After painting the ear caps and range finder I noticed that they were a bit warped in shipping and what not so I took some E6000 and solved that problem. Let it dry at my friends for 48 hours.

48 Hours later I added the vizor and did a cute -censored- kawaii pose showing off only a face another Mandalorian would love!

That's it for that bit! Gonna update with the gauntlets at once when I finish them!

OM# 2901

Jaa'lir Corvus

• pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #11 on: Dec 24, 2022, 03:46 PM »
Looks great, vod! Love the colour scheme and the prints are really nice. Oya!

Jaa'lir Corvus - Field Medic - OM 2933 - Vok'Chi Clan (UK)
Gar shuk meh kyrayc, ne'cuy jare'la osik. (You're no good dead, don't be a stupid POS.)

Bryn Cin'Prudii

• ~What killed the dinosaurs? THE ICE AGE!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Airmobile brigade member Shock Infantry Brigade Member Special Weapons EnviroOps
« Reply #12 on: Dec 24, 2022, 06:29 PM »
Late to the party with a follow.

Cerar Clan OM#1935 Tri-Division Brigade Member#262
Apply to Brigades here!
New Item Approval
« Reply #13 on: Mar 04, 2023, 10:12 PM »
Not a whole lot of progress but I got the flight suit finished. Using scrubs I took an extra pair of pants and the top from the set and combining them. Starting out with the pants I cut the pant legs off the pants giving me two pant legs and a pair of shorts. I brought in the legs to make good sleeves as a base. I then clipped and sewn them together. And rinsed and repeated the process for the other side. Because I'm bad a taking pictures I got only 3 WIP Pics to share.

OM# 2901
« Reply #14 on: Mar 08, 2023, 07:19 PM »
Nothing too crazy to report. Tried making a kama only to make it too small and not wide enough to wrap around me to where I want it. I do have the fabric and what not so there is some good news in that regard. Other than that I finally sat down to put in the old Skydex padding I got from my step dad YEARS ago in my bucket. Glad to finally get those in after all these years. Perfect fit for my odd shaped head!

OM# 2901
« Reply #15 on: Mar 17, 2023, 09:28 PM »
So this work has been done mostly done on Wednesday (3/15/2023). I decided my Westar-35 needed a place to live not in my hand so we made a holster! I took the idea of what I have done in the past and made it scaled to the Westar-35 platform. I took a manila folder and used that as a base pattern transferred that to a chunk of large grid paper traced it on a chunk of leather and cut it all out.

The next clear step from here is to dye and prep the holster for finishing. Naturally I dyed, tooled, and hole punched the leather for sewing. This was also where I wet molded the holster itself so it has that nice snug fit. Sadly it was just a bit to tight to have an easy draw but its not a bad thing as most of my troops will be conventions, parades, and other events with children who like grabbing things.

But before I was to sew the pattern I had to make a way for the holster was to attach to my belt. Que a drop leg idea. Now setting this up I wanted to feel like my actual competition range belt/airsoft battle belt. I wanted to make it feel grounded in some kind of realism. So I made the drop in the holster in a kin to those belts I used in other hobbies. After getting it designed, traced, cut, dyed and riveted the second picture was the result.

After it was all dried and done there was just sewing left to do. I added a few rivets around the holster to give it some some more strength and for aesthetics.

At the end I needed a way to attach it all. I remembered that the belt I am going to use has D-Rings at the bottom of the belt with happened to work perfectly for my uses. I added the hooks by cutting a bit into the mounting bits and riveting those in place.

After all said and done it was time for a test fit! Not too bad for a few hours of work if I do say so myself! I love how this turned out and has me fired up to get my phone pouch for my belt started! And sorry about the quality of the picture (One, I don't have much color in my wardrobe and two, I have been sick on and off for a few weeks and haven't cleaned my room due to that this includes the dirty mirror).

OM# 2901
« Reply #16 on: Mar 19, 2023, 11:46 AM »
What you are about to see is a hybrid of work I did on the past Wednesday (3/15/2023). I started my kama then and after making the one that was way too small I retooled the pattern to be a bit bigger and fit better and more full rather than just a butt cape.

After those parts were cut out all there was to do was to pin and sew it all together.

Looked great, but its missing something. I added some bias tape to the edges to round out my color scheme. I was a bit too wide and far wrapping around to wrap itself around my body so I had to sew the back and a slight angle. Now I have a kama and don't need to worry about using thigh plates.

Next up on my list of things to do is the loin cloth. Once that is finished I will attach the kama and loin cloth to my belt. And that will be most of my kit done. Outside of that just need to do shnees then we are just about there.

OM# 2901
« Reply #17 on: Mar 20, 2023, 08:27 PM »
After what I did from last week/at the armor party the other day (3/18/2023) I was motivated to finish the entire sash, kama. loin cloth combo today! Starting at about 11;30 to finishing a bit ago just long enough to take a moment and pick up most my mess I got the other two bits done. While watching 12 episodes of the anime I have been watching. So as always; trust the process and enjoy the result.
Stated out the day with the sash since that was easy. My waist is that perfect measurement to were I didn't have to sew more than one line for the base of the sash. That stitch was so straight my great grandmother blushed, and she passed away 27 years ago.

And for the finished product of the sash. Which I felt REALLY good about that...

Next up was the loin cloth. I tried making it once already but I was not a fan. I started by looking at it and ignoring reusing the stuff and quickly free handed a pattern which I did not get a picture of because at this point I was on a roll. Using the same idea of my kama I backed the inside with black so it has some constancy. Sewn that all together and this was the side by side after I finished that.

And one more side by side as it was finished. Personally I think this one is day and night better than the last,

At this point the clear part was to sew the three parts all together so it makes my life getting ready for trouping easier. So I did exactly that. For the record that sash is 44 inches long and its hard to find a good place to take a picture of that at the house.

And for just a look at it all so you all know. Here is it with the belt and the pouch I made but didn't talk about yet. Cat's name is Tharja and she is my baby for those who are wondering.

OM# 2901
« Reply #18 on: Apr 12, 2023, 01:23 PM »
I decided to skip the shnees till after I get approved. I 3D printed the Death Watch basic knees from Thingverse. After printing came line filling and primer process. I did have to repaint them the first time around due to the print line showing. But for lack of pictures this was the final push. All I have to offer is a half finished WIP and the final product.

There it is the last entry before the application process. I did clan photos but those are not the best pictures I have had taken. I will put up the regional application photos when those are taken.

OM# 2901
« Reply #19 on: Apr 12, 2023, 01:45 PM »
After looking back after I posted my last I noticed I did not have my gauntlets documented in the WIP. That being said here is a quick fire of the WIP Pics. From paint prepping, to painting, to finished product.

There the shortest words and longest picture post ever.

OM# 2901
« Reply #20 on: Apr 17, 2023, 04:24 PM »
So I got some big progress to report. Everything is weathered, and I mean EVERYTHING. These are also my Clan Pre-Apps. I already know I need to put a rocket on my gauntlet sled (I lost the last one), lower the belt pouch a bit, adjust the padding in my bucket, and make a zipper cover for my flak. About a total of 8 hours of work or less. Without further ado the latest full kit pictures.

That's it that's the update. I'm within the last 10%

OM# 2901
« Reply #21 on: Apr 17, 2023, 09:06 PM »
I was told I needed more weathering on soft parts, adjustment on the pouch on my belt, and to fix the gauntlet that I already said I still have some work on. A few other things can be fixed with assistance when I kit up.

Not pictured my salty checklist because that's just me being upset that I have more to do. Hell or high water this is gonna be done this month.

OM# 2901
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2023, 05:54 PM »
Well this is a stand still. Blasters. I knew it would come to this. My original Westar 34 was not seamless enough and cracked along the body due to the dry climate of where I live (at least that's what I tell myself to help me sleep at night). I have decided that seamless stuff is hard and I want that back patch offered my the Ruus'alor challenge I'm reprinting my Westar 34 blasters. This time! A twist! I scaled back the only the vertical axis back to 86.5% making a more 'snubbed' blaster. The other two axis are at the standard 100%. So in 16 hours we will figure out if I'm playing 5D chess or if my brain is so smooth it's aerodynamic.If all goes well I will and and prep for paint tomorrow!

OM# 2901

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!