Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

3D Print PI Helmet WIP

• 15 Replies

s.hsl3679

• Ri'vik Tal'sing
3D Print PI Helmet WIP
« on: Mar 25, 2022, 12:42 AM »
Hey all!
I just started the process of making my helmet. I've chosen to 3D model and print it. I have ok modeling experience, enough to make a decent bucket, but I'm pretty new to Fusion 360, which is what I'll be using.

I have a general idea on how to get started, but I've seen people model their helmets differently. Some start with meshes and some start with solid objects. I'd love to hear any advice on what would be best to start with!

Here's my messy concept:

« Last Edit: Mar 25, 2022, 10:30 PM by s.hsl3679 » Logged

s.hsl3679

• Ri'vik Tal'sing
Re: 3D Print PI Helmet WIP
« Reply #1 on: Mar 25, 2022, 10:36 PM »
Started modeling my bucket today!

It took a decent amount of trial and error but I'm making it work.

I started with half a quadball mesh and adjusted it to the dome shape. Then I extended the edge downward to form the rest of the helmet, extruded out the visor shape and cheek bones, and gave it about a quarter inch thickness. Then I went about adding the front plate and combs/mowhawks.
Next I'm gonna move on to the ear cap areas and model the components detached from the helmet so I can print them separately. Key slots are after that and then of course the dreaded cheek plates. Still have no idea how I'm gonna do those but we'll see!

s.hsl3679

• Ri'vik Tal'sing
« Reply #2 on: Mar 26, 2022, 02:29 PM »
Update:
Cheeks done! And it only took half my sanity.

Currently working on the ear caps/antenna and then the key slots! Then I can slice this thing up and print some test rings to see of the size is right.

« Reply #3 on: Mar 26, 2022, 04:19 PM »
Looks awesome! What printer do you have?

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #4 on: Mar 26, 2022, 05:22 PM »
Looking good. I do recommend running the final 3D model by the App team for approval before you print it.

s.hsl3679

• Ri'vik Tal'sing
« Reply #5 on: Mar 26, 2022, 11:27 PM »
Looks awesome! What printer do you have?

Thank you! I'm gonna be using a Creality CR-6 SE in my university's fabrication lab. I rarely have any problems with it and can actually trust it enough to walk away and let it do its job lol. Definitely going to be looking to invest in a good printer soon so I'd love to hear opinions on quality machines!

s.hsl3679

• Ri'vik Tal'sing
« Reply #6 on: Mar 26, 2022, 11:28 PM »
Looking good. I do recommend running the final 3D model by the App team for approval before you print it.
Thank you! I will! I'm probably going to send over some in progress pics soon before I continue further on it just to make sure.

s.hsl3679

• Ri'vik Tal'sing
« Reply #7 on: Apr 08, 2022, 09:11 PM »
Final model! Got the OK from the app team.

The ear pieces and keyslots arent attached to the main body, so I can print them separately. I've got the bucket printing now and tomorrow I'm going to set up the rest of the pieces to print!

« Reply #8 on: Apr 09, 2022, 11:05 AM »
Do you have any interest in selling or sharing the file? :) this is super cool!

s.hsl3679

• Ri'vik Tal'sing
« Reply #9 on: Apr 11, 2022, 10:22 AM »
Wow thank you thats a huge compliment!! I definitely wanna sell in the future but I'm not sure if they way I build my helmets are "correct" or "proper" for good products. I've only been modeling on and off for about a year! But I def wanna see how this print comes out before I officially sell it but long ramble short, I'd love to if it comes out well! And potentially design and sell more in the future!

s.hsl3679

• Ri'vik Tal'sing
« Reply #10 on: Apr 15, 2022, 03:35 PM »
Here are the prints so far! I'm having my professor help me print them on his printer cause the ones I have access to aren't really up to the task.

He split it in three pieces vertically to print to minimize supports and the risk of print failure. I printed the earcaps and keyslots separately. Unfortunately, his printer clogged when it was about 90% done with the left side, so he printed the rest of it separately. Its definitely gonna need some TLC but we'll get there. On the bright side, its the perfect size!

It's at the right eye level and can fit my hair when its up, with enough extra room for padding. Can't wait to fill and paint this thing.

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #11 on: Apr 15, 2022, 03:57 PM »
Looking good. I can't wait until it's fully assembled.  :8):

« Reply #12 on: Apr 18, 2022, 04:58 PM »
For selling a 3d model, i think spliting it up for however it makes sense for printing is fine.  Most models I've seen for printing have been a dome for the top, the face plate, the back usually split in half, and the ear peices.

Its hard to account for all printers but I know people appreciate it when you can print the peices on a small bed.

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #13 on: Apr 18, 2022, 08:28 PM »
For selling a 3d model, i think spliting it up for however it makes sense for printing is fine.  Most models I've seen for printing have been a dome for the top, the face plate, the back usually split in half, and the ear peices.

Its hard to account for all printers but I know people appreciate it when you can print the peices on a small bed.

Yes, but those people also have slicing programs for that very purpose so that they can optimize this for their particular bed.

s.hsl3679

• Ri'vik Tal'sing
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2022, 02:50 PM »
Hello! Its been a while but I just wanted to update and post pics of my "final" helmet. I say "final" cause it was perfect in how it fit on my head, and everyone who I had try it on looked great in it, except I am unfortunately small in stature so even with the bulk of my armor, it looked weirdly disproportionate on me. So after all that hard work, I'm gonna probably remodel and reprint, along with other modifications to my full kit, before I go through the app process.

I have full kit pics on my armor construction thread.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 02:54 PM by s.hsl3679 » Logged

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2022, 01:23 AM »
As I said in your armor build thread, I wouldn't remake the helmet to make art smaller. It'll be too small to fit. Make your shoulders appear broader.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!