Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Flak vest

• 8 Replies
Flak vest
« on: Mar 28, 2022, 03:50 PM »
Hi,
I am new to making my first Mandalorian suit and i am looking for aan good flak vest for female,
Since i am very clumsy with making one. what do you guys recommend for an good flak vest.
I am leaning towards an post-imperial inspired design for armor.

Re: Flak vest
« Reply #1 on: Mar 31, 2022, 08:59 PM »
Commenting to follow the answer. Also researching PI soft parts too. Been thinking about a plate carrier, but not sure how viable those are, since I have zero sewing skills.

Senra Qiin

• Verd ori'shya beskar'gam
« Reply #2 on: Mar 31, 2022, 10:26 PM »
Iíd recommend looking at scrubs. They might need slight modifications depending on what you find but thatís much better compared to making a vest from scratch.

Hope this helps, vode!

ďBa'slan shev'laÖ gar serim.Ē - Emíila Neiwyn
(Profile picture by Sketchyitaliana)

Instagram is @senraqiin.

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #3 on: Apr 01, 2022, 01:40 AM »
You might want to consider a tactical vest. You can get ones that close up the sides (typically with Velcro), or fromt closing. Depending upon the design, it may require little to no modifications.

Karl Dha'Werda

• MMCC Karl & Rex Dha'Werda &RL/TDE Karl Darklighter
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports
« Reply #4 on: Apr 01, 2022, 08:11 AM »
When my wife built her kit a few years ago she used an old leather jacket worn backwards with the sleeves cut off.  Alas it was also a modern kit, not PI.

We've used several of the old leather jacket methods for a flak vest here in our clan.  It works as a sturdy backing to attach your plates to and utilizes a zipper in the back which is covered by either a cape or a backplate.  It also helps for those of us less skilled with the sewing needle as an affordable option.

Fair warning I like to take pictures and I've written a novel, so be prepared for both.
Karl Dha'Werda Facebook
Oyu'baat Clan
OM Troops: 65
Mandalorian WIP
Late Crusader kit
B.E.A.R.D.S#137|Mando Rider#038|ALUMINATI#036 FMM|MLCS#026|Oribru Akaata#54|MVS#100

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #5 on: Apr 01, 2022, 11:50 AM »
Thrift store leather jackets are always a good option, though you donít necessarily need to turn it around backwards. As long as the zipper is color matched to the jacket/vest, itís perfectly acceptable, as are front closures. The only part that has to be covered is the pull tab.

Karl Dha'Werda

• MMCC Karl & Rex Dha'Werda &RL/TDE Karl Darklighter
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports
« Reply #6 on: Apr 04, 2022, 08:06 AM »
Thrift store leather jackets are always a good option, though you donít necessarily need to turn it around backwards.

The backwards part is so you don't have to take your plates off and put them back on every time you kit up.  They stay on and are spaced correctly every time with a zipper closer in the back.

Fair warning I like to take pictures and I've written a novel, so be prepared for both.
Karl Dha'Werda Facebook
Oyu'baat Clan
OM Troops: 65
Mandalorian WIP
Late Crusader kit
B.E.A.R.D.S#137|Mando Rider#038|ALUMINATI#036 FMM|MLCS#026|Oribru Akaata#54|MVS#100

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #7 on: Apr 04, 2022, 11:30 AM »
The backwards part is so you don't have to take your plates off and put them back on every time you kit up.  They stay on and are spaced correctly every time with a zipper closer in the back.

Yes, though you still need to remove the back plate, and vests with back closures absolutely require assistance from another person to get into and out of.  If you donít want to have to remove any of your torso plates, then side closures are the best option. With either front or back closures, you need to remove plates, itís just a question of which ones.

I wear a front closing vest. My plates donít attach to it at all; rather, theyíre attached to each other with straps and worn over it as a full, front and back cuirass. The whole set, cuirass and vest, is much easier to get into and out of without any assistance, and I can wear my vest without my armor if I so choose, and that just adds to its versatility.

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 15+ invasions Medic Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #8 on: Apr 07, 2022, 07:38 PM »
Hi,
I am new to making my first Mandalorian suit and i am looking for aan good flak vest for female,
Since i am very clumsy with making one. what do you guys recommend for an good flak vest.
I am leaning towards an post-imperial inspired design for armor.

HI Dawnshadow!

Flack vests can always be a bit tricky for the fem-mando.  If your able to go thrift store shopping you can sometimes find a nice vest or jacket that can be used for this.
If you want to try your own hand a making one you can look through these threads for patterning or my take on a post-imp vest.  That second one was altered a bit further which you can see as you scroll down through the thread.  The leather jacket method works great too.  It's also not to hard to modify so that you can put it on and off yourself.  Just make a nice long zipper pull that you can tuck down your collar once zipped. 

There is also the sale threads here on the forums.  Some really talented seamstresses you can buy custom vests from.  If that's in your budget that might be the way to go too! 

Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened. -Dr. Seuss

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet
WIP Weapons Post Imperial Build

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!