Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

[WIP] Arco's Post-Imperial build

• 67 Replies

Arco'thyel Wyshla

• Certified crazy cat mando
Re: [WIP] Arco's Post-Imperial build
« Reply #15 on: Apr 07, 2022, 02:08 AM »
Can do! I hope your leveling issues get sorted out ner vod.

Thanks Senra! Fingers crossed once I get back to it.

I love your ideas, your build is really cool!
I don't have a printer myself so I'll leave the trouble shooting to the experts. But your helmet is looking nice, if you are re-printing it I would definitely recommend a larger size. Both for comfort (glasses, ears, and padding space) as well as CRLs (you want the helmet to be 1/2 of your width from shoulder to shoulder).
Also looking at your mando maker, you have a loin cloth which isn't approvable for post imperial builds, but at a quick glance everything else looks great!
Keep up the good work, I'm super excited to see all that heavy weathering  :like:

Thanks for the input! Don't worry about the "loin cloth" -- that was my attempt at showing long sash ties on MandoCreator, which incidentally, is what I completed today! Also finished the back panel of the flak. Writeups on those tomorrow in my soft goods WIP.

As for sizing, I'm definitely sizing up. I like the aesthetic of the small helmet but it's just not practical. I printed size rings for 110% (well, a few layers of them before they failed), I'll share those here tomorrow.

I'm looking forward to the weathering, too! I gotta get together a reference album of the plate underwiring...

| Hard Goods WIP | Soft Goods WIP | Planning Log |

"Visit Mandalore before Mandalore visits you. Take home some souvenirs—a slab of uj cake and a smack in the mouth." ―Baltan Carid

"Don’t take this the wrong way you guys, but uh, Mandalorians are crazy." ―Ezra Bridger

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 15+ invasions Medic Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #16 on: Apr 07, 2022, 06:52 PM »
Ahhh, at last the planning is being realized!   Can't wait to see this come together!!!  :<3:

Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened. -Dr. Seuss

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet
WIP Weapons Post Imperial Build

AboveAverageGeek

• They/Them
« Reply #17 on: Apr 11, 2022, 06:59 PM »
I've been away from the forums, but you started a real WIP!!! I'm so happy for you. I'm sorry 3D printing is being so finicky. Now I'm following here as well though!

Arco'thyel Wyshla

« Reply #18 on: Apr 15, 2022, 02:05 AM »
Yesss! Glad to have you two on board! :cookie:

Some great progress from my soft goods thread:

BOOM. Flak vest base is done. I added buckles and they make fun jingly sounds when I walk.

As far as my helmet goes, several days of work later, and the 3D printer is STILL not working right. I was really bummed that I wouldn't be able to mando up for the con, especially given how excited I am about my flak. However... what if I try making my too-small, delaminating, one-wrong-poke-away-from-breaking helmet wearable for the con?

Yeah, it's a hot mess. It has one huge clog line on top of the dome, and a good 1" area of delamination above the visor. It's going to be a lot of work for something I wouldn't exactly trust to survive a gentle tap.

But you know what? I'm going to do something with it anyway! Because dang it, I want to be that weirdo who's wearing a mando helmet on public transit to get to the comic book convention next weekend.

SO! My plan for the next few days: pretty up this helmet to "wearable" status, throw together some plain bracers / hand plates, be the world's okayest UM at the convention. One week left to make it happen!

"Visit Mandalore before Mandalore visits you. Take home some souvenirs—a slab of uj cake and a smack in the mouth." ―Baltan Carid

"Don’t take this the wrong way you guys, but uh, Mandalorians are crazy." ―Ezra Bridger

Karson Wren

• Clan Wren - Nayc solus jurkade cuun aliit
« Reply #19 on: Apr 15, 2022, 10:24 AM »
No clue, how you're gonna do it, but i know you will.  :laugh:

Earn those weird looks people will give you!

« Reply #20 on: Apr 15, 2022, 10:30 AM »
 :<3: I love the flak vest!! Great topstitching!

IG: @thebeylora

Senra Qiin

• Verd ori'shya beskar'gam
« Reply #21 on: Apr 15, 2022, 01:18 PM »
Beautiful vest, Arco! You can get that helmet looking spiffy, I believe in you! :porg2:

“Ba'slan shev'la… gar serim.” - Em’ila Neiwyn
(Profile picture by Sketchyitaliana)

Instagram is @senraqiin.
« Reply #22 on: Apr 18, 2022, 05:05 PM »
On my helmet i had an ugly section on the top where the filiment didnt adhear to the supports and so i had a lot of little loose lines of filiment.  I used fiberglass resin in all of the cracks (a few coats) and was able to sand it smooth.  You can see what i started with and what it turned out like in my helmet wip.

Arco'thyel Wyshla

« Reply #23 on: Apr 28, 2022, 12:36 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement and tips, all!

Phew!! Three days after the con and I'm still recovering! I caught con crud, so I'll rest up before writing the con retrospective. (My COVID test is officially negative, which means I'm officially a big dummy for not getting my flu shot. Get your flu shot!)

First, a build writeup of the placeholder plates I threw together. Between my less-than-one-week deadline and sudden job interview prep, it was a lot for a newbie!

I decided on iron-heart-shaped half bracers -- not approvable for PI, but approvable for a con! Luckily I had hand plate templates already.

Since these are placeholder plates, I went ahead and used my crummy Amazon sintra rather than the good stuff. Behold, the quality:

See how the outside layer curls upwards and you have to sand it away? Yeah. Don't buy it from Amazon!

No idea how all the plates heated into different shapes... they're the exact same templates heated the exact same way! Here's hoping the real sintra is better.

Now, about that helmet...

For the delaminating areas, I didn't have resin, but I DID have superglue, and it seemed to do the trick! The print lines were no longer flexible. Since I didn't have enough superglue to reinforce all the delaminations, I used a soldering iron to melt the lines together for some extra safety. In retrospect, doing that on the outside of the helmet added more sanding work.

Sanding with the seedlings! I bondoed the problem areas first.

Covered in bondo...

First round of sanding!

Sanding the bondo is really satisfying. Covering it in bondo, not so much! I did two full rounds of bondo before deciding to move on. The delamination layer and clog layer are still visible, there are print lines in the earcaps, and there's some bondo texture, but given my short time frame and the fact that this is a placeholder helmet, I'm not letting myself be concerned about perfection!

Some tips: Have a toothpick ready for applying bondo to those hard-to-reach areas, and have a metal file for sanding said areas. Bondo tries to fill in details like the lines on the mohawk, so you need something to clean it out of those, too.

While the primer was curing, I put together some open keyslots. (Also got a feel for when paint runs will show up, oops!).

No time for a black basecoat. Straight to Rustoleum Metallic! This is the color I was planning on using for my durasteel plates, so this will be a good way to get a feel for it. Had some rain complicate things, so I set up a painting area in the garage.

Before painting, I made some dents in the sintra using a pen and the back of a paintbrush, getting it a little closer to the texture of the helmet. After painting, I added some light sanding scratches on high points of the plates and helmet before adding a blackwash using watered down raw umber acrylic.

That really took it from "hunk of plastic with silver spray paint" to "worn durasteel!" Got to feel like my favorite guy!

Ultimately, I kept the weathering light since I have no weathering on my soft goods yet, though I really think it'd look better with more washes...

Now to the tricky part... visor, fans, and padding.

I got a welding visor on Amazon with some good mando reviews, but after comparing it to other helmets at the con, I'm not impressed. It's very dark, and it's so heavily green that I can't see any colors -- I had to remove it to look at merch. This is not the Way! I'm open to recommendations.

The visor is thick / strong enough that I just placed it in the helmet and it stayed without glue. Works for me!

Unfortunately, the slotted keyslots I worked so hard on pushed my face too close to the visor. The helmet is so small that every millimeter counts, and although the keyslots looked nice, they made it uncomfortable to wear. Bummer! I cut some diamonds out of some sintra scrap and duct taped it in.

As for fans, I found some Raspberry Pi fans and some AAA cases in the junk drawer. Time to quickly throw 'em in!

Ultimately, between the helmet's claustrophobic size, the fans' helicopter-sounding rattle, the way the visor dyed everything a Kansas-tornado-apocalypse shade of green, and the duct tape's tendency to unstick and bombard my face with batteries, I decided the extra air flow wasn't worth the terror. Good news though, I found a pocket fan!

Gave it a quick blackwash and a place in my pocket. I'll have to properly swarz it up sometime, it was quite helpful!

Time for some quick soft goods edits. Officers, look away, this isn't for your delicate eyes...

I know, I know, but I have no pouches! I have to carry my stuff SOMEwhere!  :laugh:

I quickly tried coffee dying my sash, but it didn't take any color. I ended up washing it to get the loose coffee grounds out, and oops...!

I was worried about losing this many strings, but the edges actually look kinda nice now...

Alrighty, that's where I got for the con! Mission ac-con-plished! Time to sort through my thoughts and pics, I'll do a writeup on it in the coming days.

Odran Krayt

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din (Family is more than blood)
« Reply #24 on: Apr 28, 2022, 02:23 AM »
If the color of the visor is an issue, a plain silver or black window tint on a clear face shield has pretty good visibility and it's like looking through sunglasses in terms of color. Overall, looks good so far, I've had to go with what I had in the past for events prior to being approved as well.

B.O.M.B.  #85|L.O.B. #41|M.A. #180|MAJIC #184|B.o.B.B #028
New Death Watch Order #44|O.O.P.S! #44
ALUMINATI #053 | V.B.V #7
Odran Krayt WIP
Nexan Armories (Sales thread)
I've been doin' this since I was 10!

Senra Qiin

« Reply #25 on: Apr 28, 2022, 02:36 AM »
That helmet turned out wonderful considering time restraints. Way to go, Arco! The edges on that scarf look superb by the way. Happy little accidents are a joy.

Looking forward to all amazingness that’s still to come. :like:

« Last Edit: Apr 28, 2022, 08:51 PM by Senra Qiin » Logged

Instagram is @senraqiin.

Spartan 116

• You stick em, I'll kill em.
« Reply #26 on: Apr 28, 2022, 03:53 AM »
you don't suppose that you'll have a hard time seeing with such a DARK tint in the wielding visor?

Arco'thyel Wyshla

« Reply #27 on: Apr 29, 2022, 11:00 PM »
If the color of the visor is an issue, a plain silver or black window tint on a clear face shield has pretty good visibility and it's like looking through sunglasses in terms of color. Overall, looks good so far, I've had to go with what I had in the past for events prior to being approved as well.

Good to know! I'll have to check it out, "sunglasses" is the tint I was looking for.

That helmet turned out wonderful considering time restraints. Way to go, Arco! The edges on that scarf look superb by the way. Happy little accidents are a joy.

Looking forward to all amazingness that’s still to come. :like:

Thanks Senra! :cookie: I'm definitely doing this with the sash fabric if I use it for anything else.

you don't suppose that you'll have a hard time seeing with such a DARK tint in the wielding visor?

I sure did! As you can see in the image, if you're looking directly at a light source, it's not too bad as far as making out shapes, but if it's heavily overcast outside or I'm navigating a panel room, it's too dark to see.

Con time with my placeholder plates! I got to channel this below-CRL-minimum COTW guy from the concept art:

Let's kick it off with this cool shot from Valin Krai!

The merc table is always a good time!

Wanderin' with the vode...

The spartan and mando groups couldn't not get together:

If anyone knows who the mando second from the right is, let me know! She used Rub n' Buff for her armor and the pics do not do it justice, I want to see that WIP thread if it exists...

Probably my favorite shot, when I got to be Boba's right hand man!

My 3D scan is very cool, except for how I got my skull all caved in. :laugh:

Arco V1, very limited edition figurine, only available spring 2022!

Pics aren't the only fun thing at a con! You get some great interactions too. While I was waiting for a panel, the kid next to me in line excitedly struck up a conversation about what a great time he was having. He insisted I play with his new perler bead lightsaber, showed off his cool wallet with the rebel insignia on it (Dad: "Stop showing people your wallet!!" :laugh: ), taught me how to get his new ultra saber to light up by insisting I press the button, and showed off his collection of stickers and buttons. But by far the thing he was most proud of was the medal he got for standing up to Vader! He paused the conversation several times to pick up his lightsaber and demonstrate the moves he used. Big props to the Rebel Legion / Saber Guild for hosting the Jedi Academy -- they really made his day!

Not to mention, interactions outside of the con:

I was walking downtown past some bars with bucket off because it was dark out. A drunk lady yelled at me, "Heeey! HEEEEYY!! STAR WAAAARS! PUT THE HELMET OOOOON!" I put the helmet on. The patio erupted in cheers.

The restauraunt I ordered takeout from was definitely full of nerds. I overheard one table enthusiastically discussing TCW, and the music playing over the loudspeaker was a classy smooth jazz rendition of Green Hill Zone. "One to-to order for the Mandalorian!"

At the cookie shop at 10:00PM, a group of guys behind me said, "Duuude, is that... Mandalorian...?" I turned to look at them, they cheered. When I left, one said "Say hi to Yoda for me!" His buddy replied, "Duuude... that's not Yoda."

The only downside to being official and having dressing room access next year is that these fun interactions will be far less common!

And of course, here is my final name count for the con:

"Boba": 2
"Boba... no wait... Boba's cousin": 1
"Daddy mando": 1

The last one was actually really cute! A mom introduced me to her kids as Baby Yoda's dad, so of course I became Din for a few minutes. But yes, call me Daddy Mando from now on. :laugh:

In addition to having a blast, this con was a great way to test out how my soft goods are working:

• My neck seal popped out of my flightsuit. It may be worth extending or reinforcing the skirt portion.
  • I haaaaated the bulging pockets! I need to prioritize making a belt / pouches, or at least the kama to cover them.
  • The sash can be touchy -- sometimes it creeps up or down.
  • From how the sash wraps, sometimes there is a gap in it where you can see the flak or flight suit underneath.
  • The flak vest is loose, both horizontally (the buckles loosen over the course of the day -- should I replace the straps with elastic?) and vertically (it shifts loose from the sash).

I have an idea to help keep the flak and sash from moving around: perhaps I can make an "undersash" with a stiff canvas backing where I can snap the flak vest (and kama!) into place? Will have to try it out.

Something about canvas to keep in mind is that it wrinkles easily:

Not sure if I'm a fan! I'll see if the undersash idea helps by keeping it straight.

Now, it's time to start making the permanent plates! Should I do the chest plate, a shoulder, or the kama next...?

Senra Qiin

« Reply #28 on: Apr 30, 2022, 07:10 AM »
That’s awesome you had a great time Arco!

For me, it helped by starting with a neck plate, and then moving down my body to make sure everything was spaced correctly. With the visor you can check the forums to see if anyone sells them or for any thread tips. Mine is just a black welding visor so I don’t really have tips on color, but I’ll try my hardest to help.

Instagram is @senraqiin.

Karson Wren

• Clan Wren - Nayc solus jurkade cuun aliit
« Reply #29 on: Apr 30, 2022, 12:24 PM »
Nice job making the helmet work!  :jango:

And all of those interactions are gold  :laugh:

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!