Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

[WIP] Arco's Post-Imperial build

• 99 Replies

Arco'thyel Wyshla

• Certified crazy cat mando
[WIP] Arco's Post-Imperial build
« on: Mar 31, 2022, 12:53 AM »
Arco Thyel Hard Goods WIP
[AR-koh THIGH-elle]

[Updated: 4/2/23]

Key points of interest for this build’s armor:
  • Beskar plates
    • Chrome paint base
    • Candy paint accents
    • 3D narglatch signet
  • Durasteel plates
    • Metallic paint base
    • Candy paint accents
  • Custom PI chestplate
    • Paz Vizsla – light infantry variant
    • Visible underwiring

Key points of interest for this build's gauntlets:
  • Custom 3D model
  • 3D print: PETG
  • Offensive gauntlet
    • Whipcord
    • Flamethrower
    • LED display
    • Keypad (?)
    • Darts (?)
  • Defensive gauntlet
    • Shock panels
    • Flamethrower

Key points of interest for this build's helmet:
  • 3D print: PETG
    • Altered Aran Tal file
  • Chrome beskar finish
  • Candy paint accents
  • Fans (?)
  • Voice amplifier (?)
  • LED accents (?)

Key points of interest for this build's weapons:
  • Amban phase-pulse blaster
  • LED short blade
  • One million throwing knives
  • Vibroknife
  • Tranquilizer gun (?)
  • Grav charges (?)
  • Electro whip (?)
  • Dual westars (?)

Key points of interest for this build's accessories:
  • Mythosaur pendant
  • Teeth / claws
  • Tooka toys / treats
  • Narglatch quills (?)

Overview:

Arco is a Post-Imperial narglatch breeder and follower of the Way, with custom beskar plates and generic Tribe durasteel plates. Armor inspirations are V2 and pre-beskar / post mudhorn Din Djarin, as well as two unnamed mandos from the Tribe. Soft goods inspirations are Post-Imperial mandalorians, Fennec Shand, and Altaïr from Assassin's Creed. My endgame after OM approval will be a beastmaster / tech aesthetic with furs and LEDs, aiming for Beast Tamer and Light Melee brigades.

Here is my initial kit breakdown (will keep here as inspiration for upgrades):

Here is my revised kit breakdown (will use this for app):

There are a few visual themes to my kit:

Visual theme 1: durasteel vs pure beskar! A big aspect of this kit is to highlight the difference between durasteel and pure beskar. This will be apparent in both the type of paint and in the weathering. Most of the plates are plain silver, but even the paint accents are translucent to showcase the different finishes underneath.

Visual theme 2: Children of the Watch! The season 1 covert is responsible for my interest in Mandalorians, so I would like Arco to be identifiable as a member of the Tribe. I admit my creative side is leading this kit to stray from screen references, so I will need to make an effort to ensure this kit's covert influences are still noticeable.

Visual theme 3: spikes! Between the pulse rifle, throwing knives, linear vents, and paint scheme, a key visual impression of this kit should be spiky! The angular design should reflect the narglatch. Wouldn't it be cool to have a narglatch pelt cape in the future?

Character Inspirations:

For armor, my primary character inspiration is none other than Din Djarin, who is responsible for my interest in Mandalorian culture and Star Wars overall.

Although Din's pure beskar set is what motivated me into costuming, this covert mando's plain durasteel look also captured my attention, leading me to eventually do a mixed kit like early Din.

(I love this guy. Look at him with his mismatched ab plate. What a lad. Wish we had pics of his whole kit.)

Weathering Considerations:

My intended brigade requires heavy weathering, so this will be key.

Environmental considerations: Arco's primary environment is similar to my own, so I can take nice pictures! I live in an ecotone, a transition between a deciduous forest and a grassland biome. I'll keep in mind the kind of plants I'll be walking through, the shades of dirt, and even the seeds and burrs that might get stuck to me.

Animal considerations: Arco is a narglatch breeder who also has a loth cat program. For weathering, I will keep in mind how each of these animals will interact with each aspect of this kit. (Beware, vode! Three-clawed beasts abound...)

Weathering level: Given the simultaneous "heavy weathering" and "consistent weathering" requirements, it will be tricky to have a combined beskar / durasteel kit. Thankfully, I have a perfect canon reference: post-mudhorn, pre-beskar Din Djarin! My kit won't be quite as damaged as this, but it's great inspiration.

Build Plan:

I have a problem: my ambitions are too high for my skill level. I'm essentially new to all of this, and with my perfectionist tendencies, I could get disheartened and scrap the project altogether. That's why instead of diving straight into the Duralumen paint, screen-accurate flight suit, and complicated electronics I want, I'm starting with a simple version of my kit. I hope the skills I learn will allow me to remake the pieces to my liking in the future!

Arco'thyel Wyshla Build Thread Index

Planning thread: A planning log that includes swatch tests, template development, reference screenshots, and lore considerations.

Soft goods thread: Includes in-depth build process of soft goods such as flight suit, flak vest, kama, leathers, and accessories.

Hard goods thread: Includes in-depth build process of hard goods such as armor, helmet, gauntlets, weapons, and accessories. [you are here]
Also serves as a master thread by sharing key updates from the planning log and soft goods thread.

« Last Edit: Apr 03, 2023, 01:58 AM by Arco'thyel Wyshla » Logged
| Hard Goods WIP | Soft Goods WIP | Planning Log |

"Visit Mandalore before Mandalore visits you. Take home some souvenirs—a slab of uj cake and a smack in the mouth." ―Baltan Carid

"Don’t take this the wrong way you guys, but uh, Mandalorians are crazy." ―Ezra Bridger

Arco'thyel Wyshla

Re: [WIP] Arco's Post-Imperial build
« Reply #1 on: Mar 31, 2022, 12:54 AM »
As of 3/30/22, here is the current state of my kit. As per my planning log:

• Narglatch signet
  • Paint swatches
  • Armor templates (thighs need to be inverted, I patterned them for the wrong side, oops)
  • Helmet (needs to be reprinted in a bigger size)

As per my soft goods WIP:

• Tailored scrubs with double sleeves
  • Neck seal
  • Gloves
  • Spats WIP

Lots to do! I have a con in late April that I'd like to be in a wearable state for if possible. This means helmet, gauntlets, and flak vest at bare minimum -- hopefully the chest plate and at least one shoulder as well. I'll start by sewing the flak vest and tuning up the 3D printer. Let's get to it!

« Last Edit: Apr 02, 2023, 08:54 PM by Arco'thyel Wyshla » Logged

"Visit Mandalore before Mandalore visits you. Take home some souvenirs—a slab of uj cake and a smack in the mouth." ―Baltan Carid

"Don’t take this the wrong way you guys, but uh, Mandalorians are crazy." ―Ezra Bridger

Odran Krayt

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din (Family is more than blood)
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023.
« Reply #2 on: Mar 31, 2022, 02:52 AM »
Wow, looks like you have a solid plan! Looking forward to seeing this come into being!

B.O.M.B.  #85|L.O.B. #41|M.A. #180|MAJIC #184|B.o.B.B #028
New Death Watch Order #44|O.O.P.S! #44
ALUMINATI #053 | V.B.V #7
Odran Krayt WIP
Nexan Armories (Sales thread)
I've been doin' this since I was 10!

Arco'thyel Wyshla

« Reply #3 on: Mar 31, 2022, 06:55 PM »
Thanks, Odran! I'll keep everyone updated!

3D printer people, this newbie could use your advice!

Today's goal is to get my 3D printer bed levelled. After a few bed level tests, I've determined my stock glass bed is convex (not the aluminum bed, thankfully!). I flipped the glass and tested again to find the center is too low now. Makes sense. Right now I'm working on adding painter's tape between the aluminum and glass to push the center upwards.

While my test squares are printing, I'm attempting to model the keyslots. I was initially going to form these out of sintra because I trust my hands more than my 3D modelling skills, but I think it's turning out lovely!

Lots of ventilation holes! I have slits on the front cheeks and side earcaps, some hidden holes under the upper earcaps, and now the open keyslots.

Question! How big should I resize this helmet?

Here is a reference of my first print with my upper body armor, note that the shoulders are floating a bit so that will affect the ideal helmet size.

My current helmet "fits", but my ears touch the sides and I have to do some wild face gymnastics to get my glasses on underneath it. I want to add fans for sure, and am interested in adding a voice amp and LEDs under the earcaps in the future, so I will need room but I'm not sure how much.

How big of a gap should be between my ears and the helmet? Any tips on sizing?

Senra Qiin

• Verd ori'shya beskar'gam
« Reply #4 on: Mar 31, 2022, 07:16 PM »
Looking amazing, Arco!

Make sure you’ve got enough room to pad your helmet as well. Not sure how much you want, but factor that into your resizing as well as the thickness of the tech you’d like to install since that will vary too. With your glasses, I’d say play around a bit by printing a few filament lines of your helmet’s bottom rim / cheek indentations and seeing if you can fit that around your glasses. Much easier to do instead of printing the whole helmet and realizing it’s still a bit too small for your liking.

Hope that helps, vod!

« Last Edit: Mar 31, 2022, 07:28 PM by Senra Qiin » Logged
“Ba'slan shev'la… gar serim.” - Em’ila Neiwyn
(Profile picture by Sketchyitaliana)

Instagram is @senraqiin.

Second Son

• Awards Special Weapons EnviroOps Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #5 on: Mar 31, 2022, 07:46 PM »
  Don't mind me, posting to follow your Official WIPtm

Karson Wren

• Clan Wren - Nayc solus jurkade cuun aliit
« Reply #6 on: Apr 01, 2022, 04:23 AM »
Ohhhhhhhhhhh, this is gonna be good  :porg2:

Arco'thyel Wyshla

« Reply #7 on: Apr 01, 2022, 09:28 PM »
Looking amazing, Arco!

Make sure you’ve got enough room to pad your helmet as well. Not sure how much you want, but factor that into your resizing as well as the thickness of the tech you’d like to install since that will vary too. With your glasses, I’d say play around a bit by printing a few filament lines of your helmet’s bottom rim / cheek indentations and seeing if you can fit that around your glasses. Much easier to do instead of printing the whole helmet and realizing it’s still a bit too small for your liking.

Hope that helps, vod!

Thanks Senra! I certainly need to consider padding. I went ahead and printed a size ring to play around with and it is easing my mind.

Don't mind me, posting to follow your Official WIPtm

Do you think my Official WIPtm will reach the 17 page splendor of my planning thread?  :8):

Ohhhhhhhhhhh, this is gonna be good  :porg2:

Let's gooooo  :cookie:

So, three days of bed levelling, lots of removing the bed and adding more tape to counteract the warp, 21 sets of calibration squares printed, and I finally get a decent set of squares! I go ahead and print a size ring test for my helmet at 110%... and the ring pops off the bed because the bed was too close.

Current mood:

I printed another set of squares and, perplexingly, the bed is much higher than it was compared to the last set I printed? I don't get it. I'm currently printing another set of squares with the aim of erring on the low side to see what happens when I print the ring again. If that doesn't work out, tomorrow I'll need to go to the hardware store and get a glass mirror and binder clips to replace the bed. My anxious side is worried that those will be warped, too.

Siiiigh.

Good news at least, with the super thin test size ring I printed, I believe a size of 110% will allow me to put on my glasses easier and fit some hardware without the helmet looking comically oversized! My printer can go up to 114%, but I'm leaning towards sticking to 110%.

« Reply #8 on: Apr 01, 2022, 10:39 PM »
Awesome concept vod! I can't wait to see how it turns out. Will you be making your kama out of fabric?

IG: @thebeylora

Odran Krayt

« Reply #9 on: Apr 02, 2022, 11:18 AM »
I've never done it, but I've heard getting a glass mirror and cutting it to fit your build plate works as a good replacement for a stock bed that is out of shape.

Odran Krayt WIP

Senra Qiin

« Reply #10 on: Apr 02, 2022, 01:22 PM »
Thanks Senra! I certainly need to consider padding. I went ahead and printed a size ring to play around with and it is easing my mind.

I know I’m late, but no problem! Glad I could help and ease your mind. If your helmet will fit and allow everything you want to be installed, I’d say try to keep it smaller so you don’t become a bobble-head, though I don’t imagine you will be either way.

Instagram is @senraqiin.

Arco'thyel Wyshla

« Reply #11 on: Apr 03, 2022, 12:48 AM »
Thanks all!

Awesome concept vod! I can't wait to see how it turns out. Will you be making your kama out of fabric?

Yes! Right now I'm using the canvas my flak vest is made of. I may replace it in the future with something else if it doesn't move the way I want it to.

Today's update...

Today I realized, I think my issue is something other than the bed. My first layer is pretty solid by now -- it's the second and above layers where the nozzle scrapes the print. I never calibrated my E-steps, I bet it's over extruding! I could fix the problem and get printing today!

I checked my E-steps... it's UNDER extruding. Fixing the E-steps will make my problem even worse!

Well... I need to check my X/Y/Z/E steps anyway. May as well do it now and diagnose from there.

I'm definitely open to suggestions on what may be up with it, I'm pretty bummed at the moment. I really want the helmet printed by the armor party next weekend...

Arco'thyel Wyshla

« Reply #12 on: Apr 06, 2022, 02:43 AM »
Oop, falling behind on my daily updates till the convention! Though it's possible I won't be mando-ing up for it. I've kept busy trying to fix the printer, but it's still not going. The good news is, I think I finally know what's causing my levelling difficulties and 2nd-layer scraping issues: there's some kind of Z-binding going on that causes the X-gantry to get unlevelled.

But enough of fixing that. After 6 days of unfruitfully fiddling with it, I am very 3D-printered out!! ??? No helmet for me this weekend. I'm turning my attention to my flak vest and sash for now. Keep an eye on my soft goods thread in the coming days!

Senra Qiin

« Reply #13 on: Apr 06, 2022, 12:19 PM »
Can do! I hope your leveling issues get sorted out ner vod.

Instagram is @senraqiin.

Aster Veris

• "Monarch of mud"
  • Awards EnviroOps Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #14 on: Apr 06, 2022, 01:25 PM »
I love your ideas, your build is really cool!
I don't have a printer myself so I'll leave the trouble shooting to the experts. But your helmet is looking nice, if you are re-printing it I would definitely recommend a larger size. Both for comfort (glasses, ears, and padding space) as well as CRLs (you want the helmet to be 1/2 of your width from shoulder to shoulder).
Also looking at your mando maker, you have a loin cloth which isn't approvable for post imperial builds, but at a quick glance everything else looks great!
Keep up the good work, I'm super excited to see all that heavy weathering  :like:

OM #2630 | BM #394 | they/them | mav oya'la clan |IG: @ plant.alorian | Aster WIP

Arco'thyel Wyshla

« Reply #15 on: Apr 07, 2022, 02:08 AM »
Can do! I hope your leveling issues get sorted out ner vod.

Thanks Senra! Fingers crossed once I get back to it.

I love your ideas, your build is really cool!
I don't have a printer myself so I'll leave the trouble shooting to the experts. But your helmet is looking nice, if you are re-printing it I would definitely recommend a larger size. Both for comfort (glasses, ears, and padding space) as well as CRLs (you want the helmet to be 1/2 of your width from shoulder to shoulder).
Also looking at your mando maker, you have a loin cloth which isn't approvable for post imperial builds, but at a quick glance everything else looks great!
Keep up the good work, I'm super excited to see all that heavy weathering  :like:

Thanks for the input! Don't worry about the "loin cloth" -- that was my attempt at showing long sash ties on MandoCreator, which incidentally, is what I completed today! Also finished the back panel of the flak. Writeups on those tomorrow in my soft goods WIP.

As for sizing, I'm definitely sizing up. I like the aesthetic of the small helmet but it's just not practical. I printed size rings for 110% (well, a few layers of them before they failed), I'll share those here tomorrow.

I'm looking forward to the weathering, too! I gotta get together a reference album of the plate underwiring...

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Award for 50 official invasions. Medic Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Special Weapons
« Reply #16 on: Apr 07, 2022, 06:52 PM »
Ahhh, at last the planning is being realized!   Can't wait to see this come together!!!  :<3:

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet
WIP Weapons [url=https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=

AboveAverageGeek

• They/Them
« Reply #17 on: Apr 11, 2022, 06:59 PM »
I've been away from the forums, but you started a real WIP!!! I'm so happy for you. I'm sorry 3D printing is being so finicky. Now I'm following here as well though!

Arco'thyel Wyshla

« Reply #18 on: Apr 15, 2022, 02:05 AM »
Yesss! Glad to have you two on board! :cookie:

Some great progress from my soft goods thread:

BOOM. Flak vest base is done. I added buckles and they make fun jingly sounds when I walk.

As far as my helmet goes, several days of work later, and the 3D printer is STILL not working right. I was really bummed that I wouldn't be able to mando up for the con, especially given how excited I am about my flak. However... what if I try making my too-small, delaminating, one-wrong-poke-away-from-breaking helmet wearable for the con?

Yeah, it's a hot mess. It has one huge clog line on top of the dome, and a good 1" area of delamination above the visor. It's going to be a lot of work for something I wouldn't exactly trust to survive a gentle tap.

But you know what? I'm going to do something with it anyway! Because dang it, I want to be that weirdo who's wearing a mando helmet on public transit to get to the comic book convention next weekend.

SO! My plan for the next few days: pretty up this helmet to "wearable" status, throw together some plain bracers / hand plates, be the world's okayest UM at the convention. One week left to make it happen!

Karson Wren

• Clan Wren - Nayc solus jurkade cuun aliit
« Reply #19 on: Apr 15, 2022, 10:24 AM »
No clue, how you're gonna do it, but i know you will.  :laugh:

Earn those weird looks people will give you!

« Reply #20 on: Apr 15, 2022, 10:30 AM »
 :<3: I love the flak vest!! Great topstitching!

IG: @thebeylora

Senra Qiin

« Reply #21 on: Apr 15, 2022, 01:18 PM »
Beautiful vest, Arco! You can get that helmet looking spiffy, I believe in you! :porg2:

Instagram is @senraqiin.
« Reply #22 on: Apr 18, 2022, 05:05 PM »
On my helmet i had an ugly section on the top where the filiment didnt adhear to the supports and so i had a lot of little loose lines of filiment.  I used fiberglass resin in all of the cracks (a few coats) and was able to sand it smooth.  You can see what i started with and what it turned out like in my helmet wip.

Arco'thyel Wyshla

« Reply #23 on: Apr 28, 2022, 12:36 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement and tips, all!

Phew!! Three days after the con and I'm still recovering! I caught con crud, so I'll rest up before writing the con retrospective. (My COVID test is officially negative, which means I'm officially a big dummy for not getting my flu shot. Get your flu shot!)

First, a build writeup of the placeholder plates I threw together. Between my less-than-one-week deadline and sudden job interview prep, it was a lot for a newbie!

I decided on iron-heart-shaped half bracers -- not approvable for PI, but approvable for a con! Luckily I had hand plate templates already.

Since these are placeholder plates, I went ahead and used my crummy Amazon sintra rather than the good stuff. Behold, the quality:

See how the outside layer curls upwards and you have to sand it away? Yeah. Don't buy it from Amazon!

No idea how all the plates heated into different shapes... they're the exact same templates heated the exact same way! Here's hoping the real sintra is better.

Now, about that helmet...

For the delaminating areas, I didn't have resin, but I DID have superglue, and it seemed to do the trick! The print lines were no longer flexible. Since I didn't have enough superglue to reinforce all the delaminations, I used a soldering iron to melt the lines together for some extra safety. In retrospect, doing that on the outside of the helmet added more sanding work.

Sanding with the seedlings! I bondoed the problem areas first.

Covered in bondo...

First round of sanding!

Sanding the bondo is really satisfying. Covering it in bondo, not so much! I did two full rounds of bondo before deciding to move on. The delamination layer and clog layer are still visible, there are print lines in the earcaps, and there's some bondo texture, but given my short time frame and the fact that this is a placeholder helmet, I'm not letting myself be concerned about perfection!

Some tips: Have a toothpick ready for applying bondo to those hard-to-reach areas, and have a metal file for sanding said areas. Bondo tries to fill in details like the lines on the mohawk, so you need something to clean it out of those, too.

While the primer was curing, I put together some open keyslots. (Also got a feel for when paint runs will show up, oops!).

No time for a black basecoat. Straight to Rustoleum Metallic! This is the color I was planning on using for my durasteel plates, so this will be a good way to get a feel for it. Had some rain complicate things, so I set up a painting area in the garage.

Before painting, I made some dents in the sintra using a pen and the back of a paintbrush, getting it a little closer to the texture of the helmet. After painting, I added some light sanding scratches on high points of the plates and helmet before adding a blackwash using watered down raw umber acrylic.

That really took it from "hunk of plastic with silver spray paint" to "worn durasteel!" Got to feel like my favorite guy!

Ultimately, I kept the weathering light since I have no weathering on my soft goods yet, though I really think it'd look better with more washes...

Now to the tricky part... visor, fans, and padding.

I got a welding visor on Amazon with some good mando reviews, but after comparing it to other helmets at the con, I'm not impressed. It's very dark, and it's so heavily green that I can't see any colors -- I had to remove it to look at merch. This is not the Way! I'm open to recommendations.

The visor is thick / strong enough that I just placed it in the helmet and it stayed without glue. Works for me!

Unfortunately, the slotted keyslots I worked so hard on pushed my face too close to the visor. The helmet is so small that every millimeter counts, and although the keyslots looked nice, they made it uncomfortable to wear. Bummer! I cut some diamonds out of some sintra scrap and duct taped it in.

As for fans, I found some Raspberry Pi fans and some AAA cases in the junk drawer. Time to quickly throw 'em in!

Ultimately, between the helmet's claustrophobic size, the fans' helicopter-sounding rattle, the way the visor dyed everything a Kansas-tornado-apocalypse shade of green, and the duct tape's tendency to unstick and bombard my face with batteries, I decided the extra air flow wasn't worth the terror. Good news though, I found a pocket fan!

Gave it a quick blackwash and a place in my pocket. I'll have to properly swarz it up sometime, it was quite helpful!

Time for some quick soft goods edits. Officers, look away, this isn't for your delicate eyes...

I know, I know, but I have no pouches! I have to carry my stuff SOMEwhere!  :laugh:

I quickly tried coffee dying my sash, but it didn't take any color. I ended up washing it to get the loose coffee grounds out, and oops...!

I was worried about losing this many strings, but the edges actually look kinda nice now...

Alrighty, that's where I got for the con! Mission ac-con-plished! Time to sort through my thoughts and pics, I'll do a writeup on it in the coming days.

Odran Krayt

« Reply #24 on: Apr 28, 2022, 02:23 AM »
If the color of the visor is an issue, a plain silver or black window tint on a clear face shield has pretty good visibility and it's like looking through sunglasses in terms of color. Overall, looks good so far, I've had to go with what I had in the past for events prior to being approved as well.

Odran Krayt WIP

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!