Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

WIP - Live Action DW

• 7 Replies

HippoWrangler

• Ori'Jon Ord
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 267th Rapid Assault Special Operations Brigade Member Donated four quarters of 2023.
WIP - Live Action DW
« on: Apr 20, 2022, 08:47 PM »
I started my WIP in my clan's boards about a month ago.
https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=212866.0
Below is everything to date, will be maintaining both threads going forward.
_________________________________________________ ____________
OK, this makes it official, here is my WIP for my Live Action Death Watch build!

Though before I get started, I want to acknowledge Mi'ix and Bryn Cin'Prudii!
Both have done extensive legwork in building their LADW kits, and done a great job documenting their builds in the Brigade WIPs.
It's their legwork that helps us out when we start our builds.  Thank you!
I also want to acknowledge Sonfield in our clan the group of builders from the 501st who have a helpful build group going, this has also helped with my questions!

To get things started, I wanted to start with a helmet file that was a accurate as possible.  I was able to find one that was 3D scanned from an actual prop helmet.  While this makes the file much less friendly to print, and needs more post-cleanup, it has the correct proportions and "turn-sgnal" size and locations:

Next I have the raw prints for most of the armor plates and hard parts.  Note the chest plate I haven't printed yet since I'm waiting for my vest to arrive so I can size it properly:

Following the plates, here are the raw prints for the Jetpack.  The top "domes" I was able to print in resin to preserve the details.  Not shown are additional details from the jetpack, like the "piano-keys" which I also printed in resin.  More pictures will follow in my next update.

Here I have the gauntlet darts (only 4 needed), which I was able to machine from stainless steel.  When I did this I was having trouble getting my resin printer dialed in, so this was more a project of frustration.  But they came out nice enough that I'll use them:

Canon builds typically have very specific components that need to be used.  This Death Watch build is no exception.  The belt and gloves are shown below, again thank you to those that came before that have forged the path:

Paint colors are also very specific to this build.  It took some time but I was able to find the correct paints (even if the name of the color is in German  ;) )

Just getting started, and there's a lot of work ahead, but looking forward to it!

Minor Update, had to do some surgery on the screen accurate helmet I printed.  Since it's a 3D scan it is accurate, but some areas are pretty rough.
The keyslots in particular were a mess, and didn't have the two circular greebles in the bottom two slots as required:

So I just cut them out completely:

Then made an accurate rear keyslots part using meshmixer, and printed the part in resin.  Fits perfectly in the cut, and will be epoxied in place

:jango:

Update on the helmet, got the painting done, needs a little touch up and a LOT of weathering  :D

I'll be sure to add the small metallic scratches and chips, and will be adding an solid aluminum range finder stalk.

Vi'per

• I can thrive in the chaos that is to come
  • Awards Open Seasons Death Watch Brigade MEmber 267th Rapid Assault Special Operations Brigade Member TCW and Rebels Canon Mandalorians Brigades
Re: WIP - Live Action DW
« Reply #1 on: Apr 22, 2022, 03:21 PM »
Hello HippoWrangler

All parts look very good ,aluminium details are always very wellcome,good luck  :vizsla:

Mi'ix

• Ideals are peaceful. History is violent.
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Brigades Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Boba and Jango
« Reply #2 on: Apr 22, 2022, 03:36 PM »
Good save on the keyslots.

Should be a really nice build.

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

Mandalorian Mercs Brigade Application Form

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Tra'cor Clan || M.V.S. #41|| M.A.B.E.L. #60 || 72 Official Invasions

Vi'per

• Awards Open Seasons Death Watch Brigade MEmber 267th Rapid Assault Special Operations Brigade Member TCW and Rebels Canon Mandalorians Brigades
« Reply #3 on: Apr 24, 2022, 05:26 AM »
Good save on the keyslots.

Should be a really nice build.

yea sure!!! ,this prop maker has the most accurated 3d helmet out there but the quality of the file isnt good enough ,keyslots printed horrible always :cookie:

« Last Edit: Apr 24, 2022, 05:34 AM by Vi'per W'rim » Logged

HippoWrangler

• Ori'Jon Ord
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 267th Rapid Assault Special Operations Brigade Member Donated four quarters of 2023.
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2022, 06:03 PM »
Update on the helmet paint, completed the touch up of the purple line between the upper and lower cheeks, as well as the charcoal gray upper cheeks and mandible.

This is the before, it was a little gnarly, and a certain brigade captain in my clan gave it the stink eye at our AP  ;)

These are the after photos:

It's wild how different these colors can look in different lighting, direct sun, a little shade, and indoors.

Vi'per

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2022, 04:26 AM »
looks great!!! ,at beginining looks rare without weathering but after  it getting nicely warrior looking :8):,the violet line gives little headache lol

Mi'ix

• Ideals are peaceful. History is violent.
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Brigades Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Boba and Jango
« Reply #6 on: Jul 07, 2022, 07:02 AM »
Lines look really good, and especially much better on the cheeks where the purple hits the light blue.

You'll be amazed what happens when you hit it with some weathering, especially the brown.

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

Mandalorian Mercs Brigade Application Form

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Tra'cor Clan || M.V.S. #41|| M.A.B.E.L. #60 || 72 Official Invasions

HippoWrangler

• Ori'Jon Ord
« Reply #7 on: Jul 07, 2022, 02:55 PM »
looks great!!! ,at beginining looks rare without weathering but after  it getting nicely warrior looking :8):,the violet line gives little headache lol
Thank you Vi'per!

Lines look really good, and especially much better on the cheeks where the purple hits the light blue.

You'll be amazed what happens when you hit it with some weathering, especially the brown.

Thank you Mi'ix, I appreciate the feedback!
I'm looking forward to the weathering, for now this build has slowed down.
Trying to sort out the soft parts and the flight suit I have needs a fair amount of tailoring to get the fit right.
I will be back to this build by late fall / early winter.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!