Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Second Son Jetpack WIP

• 6 Replies
Second Son Jetpack WIP
« on: Apr 22, 2022, 11:12 PM »
So I started a jet pack.  It began with a rough sketch and basic pattern in CAD, and then a quick cradboard mockup for scale.

Dozens of hours and several weeks of tweaking later, I I got some parts cut and pre-bent. I also designed, printed and finished a nose cone and base dome for the center fuselage. My distaste for print finishing continues.

I put all the bits together, it weighs about 3 pounds so far without harness, straps, and connection hardware.

I have been busy getting the primary construction done; pretty soon I'll be adding the detail bits, figuring out a color scheme, taking it apart, painting it, and reassembling it.

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
Re: Second Son Jetpack WIP
« Reply #1 on: Apr 23, 2022, 01:21 AM »
All Aluminum? Looking sweet.  :8):

« Reply #2 on: Apr 23, 2022, 10:12 AM »
Well, mostly.  I did cheat by getting stainless hardware...

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #3 on: Apr 23, 2022, 11:35 AM »
Well, mostly.  I did cheat by getting stainless hardware...

Still, all metal. Nice.

« Reply #4 on: Jun 07, 2022, 12:22 AM »
I have no idea where I'm going with this. I painted without planning and we'll see where it goes.

OK, Blue Angels vibe, but I ain't mad. I can work with this. It'll need Danger Stripes, lots of scuffing and paint damage, and Space Grime.

I love how these intake louvers look - I'll permanently mount them in once I have the time.

Needs some more work on nozzles - the fittings for my jump boots are a little too small for this application, so I'lll need a different solution. I'll get back to this soon.

Custom designed vent/greeblie plates turned out great; I'll probably use variations on the them for other things like transfer cases, environmental props, etc...

Oh and custom-made hooks and hanger loops. I would have used something more off-the-shelf but apparently I'm too darn Extra.

The keyhole slots are for an additional layer of security - I'm planning to clinch some studs to my backplate and add some matching headed posts that slide into the slots to help hold the JP in place side-to-side. We'll see how that turns out.
That's all for now,  I'm slipping little bits of progress in where I can between work travel and being a full time parent and spouse on the weekends. See you next time, vode.

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #5 on: Jun 07, 2022, 01:44 AM »
Me likey. But then again, I'm a sucker for navy blue and gold.

« Reply #6 on: Jun 07, 2022, 11:26 AM »
Me likey. But then again, I'm a sucker for navy blue and gold.
Honestly, me too vod. I somewhat randomly selected from my stock of rattlecans and wouldn't you know it's mostly blues, black, grey and yellow....

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!