Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Working on First Kit- Tips Appreciated

• 3 Replies

Fae

Working on First Kit- Tips Appreciated
« on: May 18, 2022, 01:13 PM »
Hello, Vode!

Long time lurker here, finally about to work on my first kit. I'm planning on making my flight suit and flak vest from scratch and wanted to hear opinions on what materials should be used/people's personal experiences with different materials and closure types and locations. I appreciate everyone's time! Here's a look at some sketches I did last night. Planning on making a pattern and mock up soon. Unfortunately it seems the pinned thread is a bit outdated so I'm really grateful if anyone has tips!

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
Re: Working on First Kit- Tips Appreciated
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2022, 05:13 PM »
looking good. personally, I would avoid a back closure. Too hard to get into and out of by yourself, and thus requires assistance when suiting up. That's a personal preference on my part. A lesser issue is you would absolutely need to remove your back plate to get into and out of your vest. A front closure, like my vest has that same second issue with the front plates, but my plates are completely separate from my verst regardless. IF you want your plates permanently attached to your vest, I would recommend side closures. A side closing vest would be very easy to get into and out of, and you wouldn't need to remove any of your plates to do so.

Fae

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2022, 07:40 PM »
looking good. personally, I would avoid a back closure. Too hard to get into and out of by yourself, and thus requires assistance when suiting up. That's a personal preference on my part. A lesser issue is you would absolutely need to remove your back plate to get into and out of your vest. A front closure, like my vest has that same second issue with the front plates, but my plates are completely separate from my verst regardless. IF you want your plates permanently attached to your vest, I would recommend side closures. A side closing vest would be very easy to get into and out of, and you wouldn't need to remove any of your plates to do so.

Thanks a lot for the tip- I'll definitely reconsider in that case. Maybe a four inch zipper from the top of the collar to wherever that lands on the back so there's no chance of my head getting stuck when I'm trying to put it on? Side closures seem like a food idea in that case.

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2022, 09:06 PM »
I wouldn't put a zipper in the back at all. If anything, I would put that zipper in the front, and add a flap to cover over it. even better, you have that square "cut out" in the front of the vest collar already. Basically, I would have the vest be collarless, and make that stand-up collar/neck seal  part of your flight suit top.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!