Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Skotah Takrey soft parts WIP (warning, hefty post!)

• 0 Replies
Skotah Takrey soft parts WIP (warning, hefty post!)
« on: May 24, 2022, 01:28 PM »
Me'vaar ti gar? It's been almost 3 full years since I posted last and so much has happened, like The Mandalorian coming out...and I think that's it? My poor cardstock-and-resin helmet base was badly damaged in the Battle Of Moving Apartments and it discouraged me for some time, but in the last 4 days I sat down and cranked out almost all of my soft parts. Since I am broke as a joke right now I challenged myself to make everything using materials and findings I already had, with the exception of fabrics for the flightsuit, flak vest, and paracord/burlap for the girth belt which I had purchased back when I started.

!!disclaimer - I have done no weathering yet and have not made my boot armor, please do not judge me by my crisp fabric, shiny fixtures and exposed laces!!

Overall Look

Flightsuit

I made the flightsuit out of heavy-duty khaki fabric using a scrubs pattern modified to be closer-fitting. Since I'm a little bit bodacious in the rear, I added a "cheeky" gusset for comfort. I'm considering adding some buttons to anchor the top to the pants.

Neck Seal

Made out of heavy cotton twill, corded with the paracord for the girth belt, closed in back with v*lcro taken from an old work hat.

Flak Vest

Made from pre-quilted fabric using the TDH pattern, with snap closures on the side and shoulder. I had to make my own bias tape for this one (ew ew ew!!) using the same twill as the neck seal.

Sash and Girth Belt

The sash was made with some linen I've had in my fabric chest for probably about a decade in a color I can only describe as "Jedi brown". I used dilute toilet cleaner to unevenly bleach dye it to a mottled red-brown. The girth belt is paracord closed in back with straps salvaged from a pair of boots (also a decade old) and leftover domed rivets from a cosplay build.

Leg Wraps

I based these off of WW1 era woolen puttees, and they were probably the most labor-intensive part to make. My fingers are still sore from stitching them yesterday! To emulate the smooth appearance and self-adhesion of wool I used an old flannel duvet cover sewn into a long tube, inverted, and topstitched by hand along the seams for a flatter look. The ties are shoelaces taken from the aforementioned old boots and bleached. They measure in at 9 feet long each, with topstitching along each edge... That's 36 feet of hand sewing done in a day! Ouch!

I still need to worry about gloves, weapon belts and armored kama, but it seems prudent to leave those for after the majority of the armor is done. Any tips/feedback is hugely appreciated, thank you for taking the time to read!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!