Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Ghillie Kama and Capelet WIP

• 10 Replies
Ghillie Kama and Capelet WIP
« on: Mar 30, 2019, 09:20 AM »
Heya folks!

I'm building a urban warfare scout, and whilst a full cape or cloak isn't really appropriate but very thematic, a disruptive one might be.

I've got a length of grey hessian on order for my girthbelt/sash, and I should have enough to start either the semi-Kama or capelet. The capelet would come no further forward than half way between my outer shoulder and center line.

Strips are shown here as examples, not the full coverage ;)

The plan is to do a medium density of tattered and stained grey and brown strips, layered, to create a disruptive/distracting pattern. It's mainly for dashing between cover, and to help blend away from aerial surveillance.

Example of high density browns and greens:

It might take a while, but it should be fun!

Brute Force and Ignorance are capable of changing the universe.

Ignorance of those who have gone before, means you do not know what is impossible.

Brute Force allows you to break the rules that others can merely bend.

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
Re: Ghillie Kama and Capelet WIP
« Reply #1 on: Mar 30, 2019, 09:24 AM »
Ooo i like the sound of this.

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi
« Reply #2 on: Apr 07, 2019, 07:45 PM »
Hola!

First steps made. Kama was measured and cut. One single piece three sides stitched like a pillowcase then turned inside out.

Then all the edges were steam pressed within an inch of their life.

And now I'm starting to stain the first set of strips. Here's where I think the quality issue might come in, as I wont be stopping these from fraying (and that's deliberate).  The edges will get gradually worse as i weather them, and will give a real feel to the aging process.

Edit 1: Adding pictures!

Edit 2:

Here we have a clean piece, laying under that is the tea and coffee stained kama, on top is a (separately stained) tea stained set of strips, and a coffee stained set of strips.

This is to give an example of the discolouration away from the shade that'll be on the girth sash.

End of Edit 2

Edit 3

Some example photos with 1/2 width, 2 rows.

Verbose and any opinions welcome at this point!

End of Edit 3

Edit 4

I noticed that the hessian threads are thin enough to go through one of the needles i have, so I've switched to using them (as I've been shedding!) rather than cotton thread as shown below.

End of Edit 4.

« Last Edit: Apr 09, 2019, 05:42 AM by Jhonus6598 » Logged

Ignorance of those who have gone before, means you do not know what is impossible.

« Reply #3 on: Apr 09, 2019, 04:06 PM »
Thoughts and opinions please folks! I'm halfway through this and would like to know if its heading down an approval route.

Video of me swishing in the kitchen!
https://youtu.be/D5OaL0HiM1A

The shortness you are seeing toward the top middle, is the top layer hanging toward the left due to the curvature of the underlying material (over my butt). This would be mitigated by having the full Kama covered in strips.

Thoughts and opinions folks? Please dont just view and go!

« Last Edit: Apr 10, 2019, 01:32 PM by Jhonus6598 » Logged

« Reply #4 on: Mar 07, 2021, 06:17 PM »
Are you still working on this. I love the concept. Even more I love the belt. did you make it?

« Reply #5 on: Mar 22, 2021, 04:24 PM »
My build went on pause for a long time (PTSD, Depression, Anxiety, closed my business, struggled for work).

At the moment it's still on pause (it has been fully stitched however).

Im still weighing up wether to use it, as I've also done an alternate sash:

When I'm fully moved into my new place I'll pick up the option again!

« Reply #6 on: Mar 22, 2021, 10:14 PM »
Hope you're doing better, vod. Keep fighting the good fight, build is looking great  :like:

« Reply #7 on: Mar 25, 2021, 06:04 AM »
Hope you're doing better, vod. Keep fighting the good fight, build is looking great  :like:

If I'm still moving, I'm still fighting Vod!

Below you'll find two composite images, and the reason why the Kama is slanted...

It would need some poppers to locate it to the belt rig, and stop the drop over the butt (the exposed unadorned section below the belt at the rear).

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2021, 06:21 AM »
Currently talking to the Ruus'alors about quality on the kama. There is concern that the strips won't ensure and that I need a fray seam on each strip.

Im clarifying if I need 1 on the short edge opposing the anchor or if I need 3 (one on each unsecured side).

Snaps from a recent soft fittings aesthetic test. Loincloth is basic concept only. Kama is secured to girth sash. Cloth is seperate to belt.

Kama/sash is secured by ties, and will be upgraded with locating buttons when I surrender to stitching button holes.

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2022, 07:58 AM »
It's taken a long time to regain mental space to get back to this project. Work is soul crushing and I'm slowly failing, therapy for PTSD has been helpful but has also taken its toll.

That said. Here we are again.

Hessian has been cut then doused with spray on contact adhesive to try and minimise thread loss from the strips. I think I did this the wrong way round. For the next set I'll cut the sheet, dose with contact adhesive, then dusted, then cut.

Images to follow show a close up Pre substantial dusting, cape lines drawn to ensure the strips fall in a known pattern (for my sanity), and a garden snap post redusting.

The blending effect into my fence wasn't intended, but a good example of how this well function.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 08:08 AM by Jhonus6598 » Logged

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2022, 05:36 PM »
Micro update.

Im doubling up the material/halving the spacing. In the below image you can see the gap between the current top line and the next row down. I'm adding an intermediate line, drawn in the middle.

Why?

This is why. You can see the effect of the doubled layers in the lower half of the cape having a significantly improved effect vs the gap at the top. I realised that my spacing was off when I did a side by side with my kama.

You can see where the original spacing, vs the improved spacing, is having a significant effect. Next post likely in a month as I estimate another 100 stripes to complete the back panel only.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!