Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Sewing question - faux leather belt

• 6 Replies
Sewing question - faux leather belt
« on: Jun 11, 2022, 09:43 PM »
I am new to machine sewing and have ventured into creating my own ammo belt/ bandolier using handbag quality faux leather. I chose the material mostly because it’s far less expensive than real leather but I also like that it’s vegan (animal kind).

I have just got a Singer Heavy Duty 4423 sewing machine. Having never sewed before, I am having trouble getting the stitches even and straight.

Any troubleshooting/ advice or knowledge about sewing would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

Re: Sewing question - faux leather belt
« Reply #1 on: Jun 14, 2022, 06:03 PM »
Sounds like your fabric might be a little too heavy to feed properly? Something I've found very useful for  sewing heavy fabrics/multiple layers of fabric is a walking foot like this one here: https://www.joann.com/brother-sa107-walking-foot/16386385.html It replicates the feeding motion of the feed dogs underneath the fabric on the top layer of fabric so they both advance at the same time without you needing to manually control feed. Also make sure you're using a large needle for faux leather. Other than that, maybe spend a little time practicing on scrap fabric; faux leather is very unforgiving since once you've stitched it, the holes are there for good. If your design is complex or has a lot of loops/pouches, it's probably a good idea to make a mockup in denim or heavy cotton to get a feel for the construction. I hope some of this was helpful, I've been sewing for 16 years and it's consistently proven one of those most useful skills in my arsenal. Take time to learn good technique and I guarantee it'll pay off!  :<3:

Sylvilagus

• Kerru Bhan
« Reply #2 on: Jun 14, 2022, 07:45 PM »
Another thing that can help with pleather is sandwiching it between two pieces of tissue paper to sew. Pleather can be kind of sticky and the tissue slides easier.

She told me never venture out among the asteroids
But I did, I did, I did
And she said that the Milky Way was something to avoid
And I did, I did, I did
She said that Venus was too hot and Saturn not much fun
Bug-eyed monsters tended to be just a trifle dumb
She said I'd need a blaster and I'd need a freezer-gun
And I did, I did, I did...
« Reply #3 on: Jun 15, 2022, 05:42 PM »
Thank you both for your responses!! I look forward to trying these tips out. But I will begin by practicing with scraps of the material I have before continuing for real.

jethroskull

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023.
« Reply #4 on: Jun 15, 2022, 06:29 PM »
How many layers are you trying to push through? You might be expecting more than that machine is capable of handling.
(Heavy Duty in those Singers refers to the amount of metal in the frame. I have the 4411 and it's nice, but it does have limits.)

« Reply #5 on: Jun 15, 2022, 07:48 PM »
Right now I’m just using one layer of a scrap piece. Close to 6oz leather. Maybe 1/10th inch thick.

jethroskull

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023.
« Reply #6 on: Jun 15, 2022, 08:02 PM »
That's about the same as four layers of heavy cotton; say the edge of a flight suit collar, but firmer material. You will definitely need a stouter needle and some patience, if not access to an industrial machine.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!