Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Armor reinforcement

• 6 Replies
Armor reinforcement
« on: Jun 14, 2022, 04:50 PM »
Hello all
 Iím wondering about my armor. I bought some .093 vacuum formed  ABS awhile back. It seems sturdy enough, but I was wondering if  I should fiberglass reinforce it?  I think Iím gonna do the the cod and back plate no matter what. But what about the other pieces? The chest  , abdomen, and butt? Is this necessary, or is it overkill? ThanksÖ

« Last Edit: Jun 15, 2022, 09:02 AM by Krytar Devak » Logged
Re: Armor reinforcement
« Reply #1 on: Jun 16, 2022, 04:11 PM »
Possibly overkill - but if you're going to the trouble and mess anyway, you may as well go for the whole thing. Don't forget the knees - the little wings can snap off the main body, even if done in 6mm Sintra.
You could also use the resin&glass to hold on magnets, snaps, bolts, etc. if you want to use harder fastening points than velcro.

« Reply #2 on: Jun 17, 2022, 09:46 AM »
Possibly overkill - but if you're going to the trouble and mess anyway, you may as well go for the whole thing. Don't forget the knees - the little wings can snap off the main body, even if done in 6mm Sintra.
You could also use the resin&glass to hold on magnets, snaps, bolts, etc. if you want to use harder fastening points than velcro.

Thanks for responding, and the tip on attaching snaps Velcro . My knees are 3d printed really thick but I might have to reinforce , maybe not . Have to see when I get my soft parts and how it feels when mounted.

« Reply #3 on: Jun 24, 2022, 06:51 PM »
So I guess my next questions are  has anybody here done this? What were your results , were  they positive or negative? Did you do it and wish you hadnít, or didnít and wished you did?

jethroskull

• Haat Gai
« Reply #4 on: Jun 24, 2022, 07:44 PM »
Stormtrooper armour is vac-formed ABS and it survives without all that.

Of course, I have a known aversion to 'glass.  :-\

Art by Jennari Nadorr

Matchstick1021

• Your Daily Splash of Orange
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #5 on: Jun 26, 2022, 10:50 AM »
Itís probably overkill to glass the inside. My Fett kit is vac formed and Iíve never felt the need to reinforce it.

Sucking at something is the first step towards being sort of good at something.
MMCC#2424
Rancor Clan
Traffic Cone #38
« Reply #6 on: Jun 28, 2022, 12:13 AM »
Itís probably overkill to glass the inside. My Fett kit is vac formed and Iíve never felt the need to reinforce it.

That is a great point Thanks..

Stormtrooper armour is vac-formed ABS and it survives without all that.

Of course, I have a known aversion to 'glass.  :-\

Wow did not think of that either . Still new at this your input is appreciated.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!