Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Din Djarin Season 2 Build

• 7 Replies
Din Djarin Season 2 Build
« on: Jul 07, 2022, 01:02 PM »
So here are some photos of what I have complete for my build, I started this with the plan to just wear it to cons but then decided I wanted to try and get it approved so now I will be going back and reworking several things to make them screen accurate.

One question that I had right out of the gate though was in regards to the finish in the armor below, it is painted with Alclad Chrome not Alumaluster.  Will this be an issue with future approval in mind?

Also picture below are some photos of the bandolier that I am currently working on.  Still need to finish the grav charge holder and add the back rifle mount yet along with some rivets on the pouch and weathering.

Any comments would be much appreciated a this early stage!

Mi'ix

• Ideals are peaceful. History is violent.
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Brigades Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Boba and Jango
Re: Din Djarin Season 2 Build
« Reply #1 on: Jul 07, 2022, 01:53 PM »
Glad to see you over here!

Alcalad is fine for approval so long as you have the right tone to your finish. Din has a dark chrome look and I've seen folks go too heavy on the alumaluster and take him straight up chrome which is not the case.

So, keep in mind the S2 look has some grime on the armor. So we should see some blacks and browns in the crevices of the armor, not to mention on your soft parts as well. 

The other thing we're tracking is the flightsuit color. The suit should have some brown and gray tones to it. I'd need to see your flightsuit in some better lighting to see what you have going on overall. 

Lighter blue on the hand plates.

Boots look a tad too dark and shiny, but maybe some better pictures will help.

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

Mandalorian Mercs Brigade Application Form

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Tra'cor Clan || M.V.S. #41|| M.A.B.E.L. #60 || 72 Official Invasions
« Reply #2 on: Jul 07, 2022, 02:40 PM »
I have weathered the beskar since this picture but I don't have any current pictures of it so I will try and take some.  I thought that the finish on the helmet was the closest to the dark chrome look, I am going back over the rest of the armor and trying to repaint it to look more closely to that color, I painted the helmet last and hence had learned some tips/tricks by the time I got to that so I think it turned out better.

The flight suit is definitely the wrong color right now but I bought some dyes this weekend and will be attempting to dye both the cumber bun and flight suit sometime soon.  I'll post some pictures once that is complete.

My plan is to buy some screen accurate boots since the ones in this picture were just something that I already owned and were close enough for the con I was going to with this.

I also bought different cape material this weekend to match the boiled wool look so I will be working on that soon as well.  I did come across the correct color palettes if you use montana gold paints so I will be buying the correct colors for both the knee and hand plates soon.  Has anyone had issues with the spray nozzles on the montana gold cans?  I have just started using that brand and it seems like while the paint is nice it does not spray very evenly.

« Reply #3 on: Jul 15, 2022, 10:15 AM »
So i've made a little progress on the build.  Dyed the flight suit and cummerbund to get the brown hue that is seen in season 2, I think the color came out pretty well.

I also weather my bucket a bit more although I am having a hard time getting good pictures of it but below are the most current ones that I have taken.

Next I will be working on the left leg wrap, making the leather apron for the ab area and weathering the flight suit.

« Reply #4 on: Jul 26, 2022, 08:08 PM »
Quick progress update, I made a new ab tasset (or whatever the proper term for that piece is) so I wanted to see how it looked with the bandolier that I am working on currently. 

I think the flight suit colors look much better now that they are dyed to have a brown tint to them.  I had weathered them but after taking some pictures it looks like they need some more since you can't really tell.

Also was able to try on the left shin wrap that I have been working on, seems to fit well and doesn't hinder mobility.  I will need to print an insert for the pouch since it doesn't want to hold its shape very well and weather it yet.  Also still the incorrect boots as I have not ordered the correct ones yet.  I was looking at the Crow Props glove and boot high CRL set, does anyone know if those are decent quality?

« Reply #5 on: Sep 05, 2022, 04:29 PM »
Update!  Been working hard on reprinting most of my armor using the Great Ape files and also experimenting with beskar painting methods as well as printing in PETG instead of PLA since it has higher heat resistance and sands much easier.  I found that the Black Chrome from Alclad works pretty well and doesn't have as many issues with getting to bright like the normal chrome does.

I've also been playing with oil based paints for weathering and I think these seem to work much better for the look I am going for than the acrylics do.  Here are some pictures from me practicing weathering my old gauntlet and thigh armor and also the new new armor that I have completed.  I think they look much more screen accurate now with the added weathering.

« Last Edit: Sep 05, 2022, 04:36 PM by darkaether » Logged
« Reply #6 on: Sep 24, 2022, 02:34 PM »
More progress to update on!  Mostly just waiting on a couple of items to arrive to finish up the build.  I had ordered Crow Props boots/gloves as well as a mandoputer so hopefully both of those items arrive soon.  In the meantime here is how the suit looks right now.  I also noticed that with my new gauntlets the hand plates look a little big so I will be reprinting some of those now.  A couple other small items that I noticed are that I need to put some gaffers tape over the foam to pad my gauntlets and the belt needs some velcro added to keep it over the butt plate.

Mi'ix

• Ideals are peaceful. History is violent.
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Brigades Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Boba and Jango
« Reply #7 on: Sep 27, 2022, 10:25 AM »
You did a really nice job with the weathering on your armor.  Don't forget to weather that right gauntlet!

Don't forget to pad out your shoulders.  Din has his shoulder plates fairly lifted away from this shoulder, so that will go a long way in helping you hit the right look.

See how the shoulder plates come up off the flightsuit?  That's where you want to be.

I'm still seeing a lot of gray in the flightsuit, so make sure to really emphasize the brown tones in the your weathering to get that shift.

What material is your cape?  Boiled wool is the screen used stuff and should stop just below the backs of your knees.  I'm worried yours is a little too short.

Boots are still pretty shiny and dark brown. 

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

Mandalorian Mercs Brigade Application Form

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Tra'cor Clan || M.V.S. #41|| M.A.B.E.L. #60 || 72 Official Invasions

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!