Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Reinforcement for 3d printed parts? Help!

• 7 Replies
Reinforcement for 3d printed parts? Help!
« on: Jul 26, 2022, 12:22 PM »
This is the first time I've worked with such small 3d printed pieces, and I've run into an issue with the antenna on my helmet. It's the Partisan from Alter Ego Armory, so it's got a thin antenna thing on one side. While sanding it, I found that it ended up curving and my guess is from being out in the sun. I'm worried this will be a problem if I were to wear the helmet out in the heat for a while, would it just droop down like a captive orca fin?? I've straightened it back to flat with a heat gun but what can I do to keep it from doing that again? Pictures added so you can see what I'm talking about. Send help!

ke’nu’duumi kyr’am gevir gar → may death never stop you
Re: Reinforcement for 3d printed parts? Help!
« Reply #1 on: Jul 26, 2022, 02:41 PM »
The antennae looks pretty simple.  Can you remake it with aluminum or sintra?  Either would be a better option than 3D print.

Kotep Dral | MMCC #2677 | The OT Guard #63 | B.O.M.B #96

Helmet build - SWJFH-A7R pepakura | Soft parts WIP | Armor WIP | Sniper upgrades
« Reply #2 on: Jul 26, 2022, 06:42 PM »
The antennae looks pretty simple.  Can you remake it with aluminum or sintra?  Either would be a better option than 3D print.

I'm not confident in my ability to do that tbh. I might look into gluing one or the other onto the back side of it and hiding the seam though, hm. Or maybe just see if i can cut it off entirely. It's connected to a piece I need to finish off the ear cap so I'm wanting to preserve that as much as I can.

« Reply #3 on: Jul 27, 2022, 11:05 AM »
What about fiberglassing over it? Even just a resin coat might be enough. I have a similar issue on a different project I was going to try it on, just haven't gotten around to it.

« Reply #4 on: Jul 27, 2022, 08:19 PM »
You could use epoxy putty. The Gorilla one is quite easy to use.

« Reply #5 on: Jul 31, 2022, 09:45 PM »
The fiberglass option is a good one. I don't know if you've broken a limb recently, but the doctors use a cool fiberglass resin tape material that comes in a large roll. You activate the resin by immersing it in water and it sets fairly quick. They sell it on amazon, medical casting is a good term to search. You could easily wrap a single piece cut long enough for the whole length, moisten and wrap. Let it harden (Oh, wear rubber gloves. Very important) then sand it down so it's smooth, prime and paint just like you would a 73 Corvette.

« Reply #6 on: Aug 01, 2022, 10:30 PM »
The fiberglass option is a good one. I don't know if you've broken a limb recently, but the doctors use a cool fiberglass resin tape material that comes in a large roll. You activate the resin by immersing it in water and it sets fairly quick. They sell it on amazon, medical casting is a good term to search. You could easily wrap a single piece cut long enough for the whole length, moisten and wrap. Let it harden (Oh, wear rubber gloves. Very important) then sand it down so it's smooth, prime and paint just like you would a 73 Corvette.

interesting! i might look into this. I dont want to have to buy a huge amount of material for something so small, so this might work

« Reply #7 on: Aug 15, 2022, 09:41 PM »
I'm 3D printing pieces as well and you can print with PETG or ABS and use photopolymer UV resin and that will strengthen it even more and be ok in direct sun.
Best of luck, vode.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!