Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Help! Paint not curing!

• 2 Replies
Help! Paint not curing!
« on: Jul 30, 2022, 05:43 PM »
I made a prop hammer for my Armorer build, and no matter how long I give the coats time to cure, the final chrome stays not-quite-tacky. No paint transfers when I touch it, but it will shift enough that impressions of anything it touches are left behind and the finish gets dulled. This only happens after the application of the chrome... which is making me realize as I type this that it's the chrome that's the problem. But it sets fine on the PLA pliers I printed to go with the hammer. Why is it only not setting up on the hammer?

The hammer is foam coated in ~20 layers of wood glue.

Primed with Rust-oleum Filler Primer

Based with Rust-oleum 2x Ultra Cover gloss black

Painted with Dupli-color Automotive Metallic Chrome high gloss

I have a con to go to in a week, so any help will greatly appreciated!

Second Son

• Awards Special Weapons EnviroOps Special Operations Brigade Member
Re: Help! Paint not curing!
« Reply #1 on: Jul 30, 2022, 06:17 PM »
 Check to see if there is a type difference i.e. enamel versus lacquer base in the different brands. I did some searching and they should work together, provided the previous layers were fully cured (like a week or more) before the chrome layer was applied. It sounds like maybe one of the previous layers is not fully cured? You might need to sand it back down and start again, but with a week to go that seems unlikely to succeed.

Lo-fi backup plan: sand it all the way down to the wood glue, get it smooth and coat it with rub'n'buff. You won't really be able to paint it after, but it will look metallic and you can buff it to a pretty good sheen if the base is smooth.

Even more lo-fi backup plan: silver acrylic craft paint. Decent quality silver over a black layer would probably pass muster. You can dry it fast with a hair dryer and scrape it off after the con and re-do the whole thing better after.

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
Re: Help! Paint not curing!
« Reply #2 on: Jul 31, 2022, 01:17 AM »
Even better than acrylic craft paint, go with acrylic model paint applied with an airbrush. My entire kit isa painted with acrylic model paints. My black base is Mission Models Gloss Black, with Mission Models Chrome Silver over that, then covered with Tamyia Color Clear Blue for the main color.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!