Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Starting Work on New Live Action Deathwatch

• 43 Replies

AUSfrostbite

• Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Special Operations Brigade Member
Re: Starting Work on New Live Action Deathwatch
« Reply #15 on: Jan 07, 2023, 01:14 AM »
It has been a few months since my last post, mostly due to issues with my 3D printer which are now finally sorted!. I have started to make good progress, with all of the armour now printed and in various stages of post processing.

Finished waiting for weathering:

WIP:

I do have a question regarding the placement of the stripes on the chest, is the below placement acceptable?:

I plan to get most of this done over the next few weeks so will be posting regular updates.

AUSfrostbite

• Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #16 on: Jan 13, 2023, 11:07 PM »
While I wait for my jetpack parts to print I decided to place everything together - its starting to come together, still need to add a few things and weather everything!

Mi'ix

• Ideals are peaceful. History is violent.
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Brigades Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Boba and Jango
« Reply #17 on: Jan 14, 2023, 10:27 AM »
Stripe placement looks fine to me.

Are you planning on going Brigades with the kit?  If so, the recessed rectangle should be removed from inside portion of the gauntlet.

I'd also go much darker on the brown for your pouches.  They look really light atm.

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

Mandalorian Mercs Brigade Application Form

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Tra'cor Clan || M.V.S. #41|| M.A.B.E.L. #60 || 72 Official Invasions

AUSfrostbite

« Reply #18 on: Feb 17, 2023, 04:56 AM »
Hi Mi'ix, once I have basic approval I will print a new set of gauntlets that don't have the rectangle. Sorry for not replying for a while, due to weather i was unable to keep working on the sanding / spray putty process. Due to re-sizing my breastplate I had to order a new flak vest which should be on the way shortly.

With some decent weather I have been able to go hard on the jet pack which is now nearly complete:

I plan to start applying the blue tomorrow, I do have one question - what colour is the flat part above the "teeth" silver or blue? I cannot seem to find any references!

Once the jet pack is done I will begin the process of weathering everything.

AUSfrostbite

« Reply #19 on: Feb 20, 2023, 06:53 AM »
I managed to spend a few hours weathering the armour pieces, its starting to look a lot better now:

The jetpack has the paint and some burnt umber applied, unfortunately some of the metallic paint bubbled on the left near the keys, thankfully its easy to fix with weathering.  I plan to finish weathering it tomorrow:

AUSfrostbite

« Reply #20 on: Feb 21, 2023, 05:20 AM »
Weathering added to the jet pack!

Now to work on the smaller and easier things, the boot cartridge, rifle, knee straps and darkening the pouches

AUSfrostbite

« Reply #21 on: Feb 26, 2023, 01:43 AM »
I decided to re-do the gauntlets without the recessed rectangle and reached out to Great Ape on Etsy who made the files and asked if he had version that did not include them. He responded faster than I expected and gave me the files he made for Axe Woves, exactly the same gauntlets but without the rectangles! I only need to re-print the top halves which are already in progress and will be done in less than 2 days.

While I wait I commenced work on the rifle and the boot cartridge. The cartridge was a nice and quick win and fits snugly in is boot loop.

The rifle needs a little more work before I am happy and start the painting process. I need to leave it a little while for the spray putty to dry properly before I make any fixes.

Bryn Cin'Prudii

• ~What killed the dinosaurs? THE ICE AGE!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Airmobile brigade member Shock Infantry Brigade Member Special Weapons EnviroOps
« Reply #22 on: Feb 27, 2023, 11:44 AM »
Continued solid progress!

Cerar Clan OM#1935 Tri-Division Brigade Member#262
Apply to Brigades here!
New Item Approval

AUSfrostbite

« Reply #23 on: Feb 28, 2023, 06:00 AM »
Thanks Bryn,

I'm trying to keep the momentum going as much as I can so that I can inspire a few local fledgling Mercs to keep working on their first kits.

First coat applied to the rifle, its almost a pity that most of it will be painted black!

New gauntlet tops printed as well, ready for spray putty when the weather allows

AUSfrostbite

« Reply #24 on: Mar 03, 2023, 04:26 AM »
I have finally completed the rifle, adding a cabochon to the scope for a little more realism and darkening it with some Tamiya X19. I also added weathering to the rifle before applying a satin varnish.

AUSfrostbite

« Reply #25 on: Mar 05, 2023, 03:54 AM »
Updated gauntlet tops that do not have the recessed rectangles, ready for weathering!

AUSfrostbite

« Reply #26 on: Mar 07, 2023, 03:37 AM »
Weathering applied to the new gauntlet tops. Nothing much left to work on while I wait for the rings for the knee straps to arrive and the flack vest to ship!.

Bryn Cin'Prudii

• ~What killed the dinosaurs? THE ICE AGE!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Airmobile brigade member Shock Infantry Brigade Member Special Weapons EnviroOps
« Reply #27 on: Mar 07, 2023, 09:51 AM »
Gauntlets looking good! cant wait for next set of kit up pictures!

Cerar Clan OM#1935 Tri-Division Brigade Member#262
Apply to Brigades here!
New Item Approval

AUSfrostbite

« Reply #28 on: Mar 12, 2023, 07:08 AM »
I have now added the straps to the knee plates and some velcro to help keep them in place:

Once that was done I added snaps along with velcro to the flightsuit legs to help keep the leg plates in position during movement. With everything together for my lower half it was time for a test fit:

Hopefully everything looks good.

« Last Edit: Mar 12, 2023, 07:12 AM by AUSfrostbite » Logged

Geila Alo

• Awards Clan Growth
« Reply #29 on: Mar 13, 2023, 11:23 AM »
Wow, you have a really solid kit going on here

The thing I can see, is that the thigh plates looks smaller than reference, but its possible they would pass. I put in a reference for comparence.

Looking forward to see this kit getting approved

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!