Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Koteb Caburīs Custom Post-Imperial WIP

• 31 Replies
Koteb Caburīs Custom Post-Imperial WIP
« on: Aug 21, 2022, 07:24 AM »
Hello there,
I build on my first  armor for a while now and post updates, but I did that so far via the stronghold I am in,
but since the feedback I get there is limited I thought to post some here too.
I gonna post the last WIP pictures here, for more details please visit my other build thread found here:
https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=179484.0
I currently work on the Shin and Foot armor attachment.
I look forward to your feedback and opinions. :)

« Last Edit: Aug 21, 2022, 07:29 AM by Koteb Cabur » Logged
B.O.M.B. #101

Fabian

• The guy on the bounty puk is not me I promise
Re: Koteb Caburīs WIP
« Reply #1 on: Aug 21, 2022, 07:28 AM »
Love it
I think it looks kinda like buzz lightyear
 :P :P keep it up

This is the way
Mando name : Azrud Shurd
Up to date WIP: https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=207106.msg2255614#msg2255614

I’d like to offer you moral support, but I have questionable morals.
Re: Koteb Caburīs WIP
« Reply #2 on: Aug 21, 2022, 08:36 AM »
Love it
I think it looks kinda like buzz lightyear
 :P :P keep it up

Haha, thanks Vod, and that's Intentional, I will be a Buzzing Mando :D

B.O.M.B. #101

Second Son

• Awards Special Weapons EnviroOps Special Operations Brigade Member
Re: Koteb Caburīs Custom Post-Imperial WIP
« Reply #3 on: Aug 21, 2022, 12:20 PM »
Very good work. Excellent Sintra/Foamex craftsmanship. I looked through your full WIP and the evolution and quality of your build is top notch. I must say I like the lower profile rebreather attachment regardless of the visor coverage rule.

My notes:
Top edge of cod plate should be covered by a waist item (a sash would do the trick)
Buckles attaching cod would be better off hidden, or made to appear to be metal (or replace with metal buckles of same type) weathered to match the level of the rest of your armor.
I am picking at details because the overall level of work is amazing. Keep on building vod.

« Reply #4 on: Aug 21, 2022, 01:59 PM »
Very good work. Excellent Sintra/Foamex craftsmanship. I looked through your full WIP and the evolution and quality of your build is top notch. I must say I like the lower profile rebreather attachment regardless of the visor coverage rule.

My notes:
Top edge of cod plate should be covered by a waist item (a sash would do the trick)
Buckles attaching cod would be better off hidden, or made to appear to be metal (or replace with metal buckles of same type) weathered to match the level of the rest of your armor.
I am picking at details because the overall level of work is amazing. Keep on building vod.

Thx Vod, much appreciated :)
The buckles are weathered with metal edges look to them, but I suppose the lighting is not the best, the general idea of that setup is from the cod pieces the used in Dune.
I am working on a Girth Belt to cover the waist area, one of the last pieces i still need to build :D

B.O.M.B. #101
« Reply #5 on: Aug 23, 2022, 03:41 PM »
Another small update, Shin and Boot attachments in place.

B.O.M.B. #101

Fabian

« Reply #6 on: Aug 24, 2022, 01:43 AM »
Bro that's fire I love it ...
Do you have templates ?

This is the way
Up to date WIP: https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=207106.msg2255614#msg2255614

« Reply #7 on: Aug 24, 2022, 11:05 AM »
Bro that's fire I love it ...
Do you have templates ?
It's all pretty much custom made, I can Pm you a link to a pattern that I used as base

B.O.M.B. #101

Fabian

« Reply #8 on: Aug 24, 2022, 02:04 PM »
Thanks!!

This is the way

« Reply #9 on: Aug 29, 2022, 09:45 AM »
And now the Girth-Belt is finished too, getting close to the final finishing touches :D

B.O.M.B. #101

Second Son

• Awards Special Weapons EnviroOps Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #10 on: Aug 29, 2022, 04:26 PM »
That is a very nice girth belt - top quality stuff as usual vod.

« Reply #11 on: Aug 31, 2022, 11:27 AM »
Pre-App time, fingers crossed :)

B.O.M.B. #101

Ronin Tavic

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 2016 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #12 on: Sep 01, 2022, 04:33 AM »
Took some poking around to find your thread, coming here from seeing it on the builders group on Facebook.
So first off, you have some serious skills my friend. You've made an amazing kit with some great attention to detail.
However, I don't think this going to pass. Influenced kits are fine, but this is too much of a crossover for me to see it getting approved.
The colors you had on the last chest, the grey and green were enough of an influence without going into crossover, I felt. And the addition of the chest buttons in the same toy story colors didn't really add much. Dialing it back just a hair, is only going to help you. I'd hate to see craftsmanship of this level get pushed back over something like that.
If you decide to make the changes, or put that effort into another kit to keep this one buzzlightyear themed, I'm sure it'll only look even better. Best of luck!

Pre-App pics and upgrade thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=63828.15
"I only take 2 things seriously: the lives of my vode, and the deaths of my enemies"
Ni redalu o'r vhetin be'kyram.
"I dance in death's valley"
"we're not mercenary's, more like adventure capitalists"

« Reply #13 on: Sep 01, 2022, 05:10 AM »
Took some poking around to find your thread, coming here from seeing it on the builders group on Facebook.
So first off, you have some serious skills my friend. You've made an amazing kit with some great attention to detail.
However, I don't think this going to pass. Influenced kits are fine, but this is too much of a crossover for me to see it getting approved.
The colors you had on the last chest, the grey and green were enough of an influence without going into crossover, I felt. And the addition of the chest buttons in the same toy story colors didn't really add much. Dialing it back just a hair, is only going to help you. I'd hate to see craftsmanship of this level get pushed back over something like that.
If you decide to make the changes, or put that effort into another kit to keep this one buzzlightyear themed, I'm sure it'll only look even better. Best of luck!
Hi Vod and thank you for your feedback, however I would like to know if it is your personal opinion, or the opinion of the pre app team as a whole.
I did not see any rules against doing the color theme I did, if there are some please guide me to them.
I also like to point out that it is a bit weird that it comes up now, when I had only positive feedback to all armor parts and their coloring in my build thread, not only from other OMs, but also other Ruus.

B.O.M.B. #101

Arkham

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Legends of Mandalore Brigade Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #14 on: Sep 01, 2022, 09:17 AM »
Hi Vod,

I am not on the App Team, but I believe what he is referring to is this section of the CRLs: (CRL > Post Imperial > Additional Info)

Crossover Kits:
Crossover, Cross-Genre or Themed kits are Mandalorian kits that share elements with other characters or groups within or outside of the Star Wars universe. If you want to add non-Mandalorian elements to your kit, start with your basic Mandalorian and add in those elements and inspiration from the non-Mandalorian source. For example, do not start with a standard stormtrooper costume and try to convert it to a Mandalorian. Instead, start with your basic Mandalorian and add an element of a stormtrooper such as gauntlets, shins or backplate. Any element based on a non-Mandalorian outfit or armor that is added to a Mandalorian kit must not be instantly recognizable from its original purpose or origin. As such, it must be altered to fit the Mandalorian kit seamlessly.

Cross-Genre kits will not be accepted. Cross-Genre refers to kits built that are recognizable mashups of Mandalorian and other franchises or organizations, such as a “Superman Mandalorian” or a Sports Team Themed Mandalorian.

This generally means that when looking at a kit it should read Mando first, any other influences a distant second. Your kit seems to read more Buzz Lightyear first, Mando second.

As for why this is being mentioned now; I can't say 100%, but looking at both of your threads on the forum, it is only yesterday that you posted a full pic of you in your kit with the full paint job. Prior to that it has only been pics of sections of your armor, or your armor in pieces. As such, the extent of the 'Buzz-ness" of your kit is just now being discovered. The Ruus comments I have seen posted here on the forum have been regarding the fit and placement of your armor pieces. Again, it is only just now that we are able to see the kit as a whole.

You have a wonderful kit! It would not take much altering of it to put the Mando first and the Buzz second. Keep going!

Arkham's WIP

Tra'cor Clan // G.O.M.O.L # 032 // M.V.S #68 // O.O.P.S.! #52 // L.O.B #49
« Reply #15 on: Sep 01, 2022, 09:48 AM »
Hi Vod,

I am not on the App Team, but I believe what he is referring to is this section of the CRLs: (CRL > Post Imperial > Additional Info)

This generally means that when looking at a kit it should read Mando first, any other influences a distant second. Your kit seems to read more Buzz Lightyear first, Mando second.

As for why this is being mentioned now; I can't say 100%, but looking at both of your threads on the forum, it is only yesterday that you posted a full pic of you in your kit with the full paint job. Prior to that it has only been pics of sections of your armor, or your armor in pieces. As such, the extent of the 'Buzz-ness" of your kit is just now being discovered. The Ruus comments I have seen posted here on the forum have been regarding the fit and placement of your armor pieces. Again, it is only just now that we are able to see the kit as a whole.

You have a wonderful kit! It would not take much altering of it to put the Mando first and the Buzz second. Keep going!

Thank you for the clarification and feedback :)
If one would put Buzz Lightyear and my Mando beside each other, one would not find much direct connections, yes there are buttons on the chest, but they are different to those that Buzz has.
Yes the Chest is Purple, green and White, but does neither in shape, nor patterning really resemble the one from Buzz.
It is associations people make, that is why many Tie Pilots get called Darth Vader, but we do not forbid blacked out Mando's because people would think Darth Vader first, Mando second, do we now?

If I would have made a Crossover Kit, than the paintjob would resemble the armor of Buzz, which would be in thin line of purple, much more white areas, an white center area and a white diamond with blue outline.. but it does not, it just borrows color elements that work rather well with the heavy Mandalorian chest piece.
Buzz Arms and Legs are completely white, with only a green line one the elbows, on the bottom of the shins and toes, his shoulders are grey with black stipes, his hip area blacked out, you see none of that on my kit.

B.O.M.B. #101

Malakier Vhett

• 'The Craziest Merc'
  • No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 75 official invasions. Celebration Anaheim 2022
« Reply #16 on: Sep 01, 2022, 07:19 PM »
I have a buzz Lightyear toy. Putting the 2 side by side I can't see how it can be called anything but a blatent and intentional crossover. I've seen actual, intentional Buzz-mando mash ups that are less blatent than this. Your early designs were much less obviously cross-overs and probably would have been ok. However you went from silver and green to this without any updates in between as to color scheme. And now you want to blame the approval team that your design isn't acceptable. It is on you as the applicant to read the CRLs and ask questions before it gets to this point. The resources are out there. I happen to know that the team that runs the Mandalorian Question and Answer is highly knowledgeable and would have been able to help you avoid this issue in the first place.

Your helmet also is not approvable for PI. Post Imperial era is very heavily based on what is seen on screen in The Mandalorian and Book of Boba. There are no references of a blast shield or hoses. You might be able to get away with one or the other, but not both. However, your helmet as is fine for Modern, and the only thing that currently places your kit in PI Era is the chest plates. That will need to be repainted anyway, since that's the part that most glaringly makes your kit in crossover territory. So if you replace your chest plates with Modern ones and modify the paint so it's inspired by (rather than almost identical to as it currently is)  Buzz's, you will be fine.

Armor does not make a Mandalorian. The armor is simply a manifestation of an impenetrable, unassailable heart.
« Reply #17 on: Sep 02, 2022, 02:25 AM »
I have a buzz Lightyear toy. Putting the 2 side by side I can't see how it can be called anything but a blatent and intentional crossover. I've seen actual, intentional Buzz-mando mash ups that are less blatent than this. Your early designs were much less obviously cross-overs and probably would have been ok. However you went from silver and green to this without any updates in between as to color scheme. And now you want to blame the approval team that your design isn't acceptable. It is on you as the applicant to read the CRLs and ask questions before it gets to this point. The resources are out there. I happen to know that the team that runs the Mandalorian Question and Answer is highly knowledgeable and would have been able to help you avoid this issue in the first place.

Your helmet also is not approvable for PI. Post Imperial era is very heavily based on what is seen on screen in The Mandalorian and Book of Boba. There are no references of a blast shield or hoses. You might be able to get away with one or the other, but not both. However, your helmet as is fine for Modern, and the only thing that currently places your kit in PI Era is the chest plates. That will need to be repainted anyway, since that's the part that most glaringly makes your kit in crossover territory. So if you replace your chest plates with Modern ones and modify the paint so it's inspired by (rather than almost identical to as it currently is)  Buzz's, you will be fine.

Hi Malakier,
The color change came not out of nowhere I first presented it in my build thread on July 22 this year, no one pointed out any problem with it at all before I handed in my pre app.

I accept that the chest and cod are rather close to the buzz look and offered the Russ'Sol to make color changes there to break off the pattern that creates similarities, however these two parts are really the only thing that follows the buzz looks.neither legs, arms, shoulders or boots look like buzz.

When it comes to the helmet I am honestly angry, I did first present the chest and helmet combo on August 2021, over one year ago, in that time 4 Ruus'Alor including the EU Ruus'Sol did look at it and cheered me to go on with it, no one ever mentioned any problem with it.

I had to change my first version of my helmet a while back, one week after it was finished because the 1/3 visor rule got implemented that was frustrating but understandable, this here is not.

The helmet is not a pilot helmet, it is a helmet with a rebreather unit and a reinforced dome since this armor is supposed to be a front line grunt armor.

I posted regular updates asked for feedback and adjusted to the rules constantly over the last year's, but now telling me to make a new helmet or chest piece after I am finally done is a slap in the face.

B.O.M.B. #101

Fabian

« Reply #18 on: Sep 02, 2022, 02:54 AM »
I absolutely love your Mando and if it doesn't work out then it is what it is you can still troop with it
I am UM due to my age for 2years now and will be for the next 3 still so I hope you get it through but if you don't make the most of it vode  :boba:

This is the way

Arkham

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Legends of Mandalore Brigade Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #19 on: Sep 02, 2022, 10:23 AM »
If I would have made a Crossover Kit, than the paintjob would resemble the armor of Buzz, which would be in thin line of purple, much more white areas, an white center area and a white diamond with blue outline.. but it does not, it just borrows color elements that work rather well with the heavy Mandalorian chest piece.
Buzz Arms and Legs are completely white, with only a green line one the elbows, on the bottom of the shins and toes, his shoulders are grey with black stipes, his hip area blacked out, you see none of that on my kit.

To help clarify; a crossover kit does not need to be an exact replica of a character as a Mando (exact paint, etc.). But can be a themed kit, as you mentioned yours was on Aug 21st. If you haven't seen the Princess Mandos these are some examples of this. While the princesses in their respective movies do not wear armor, armor build to look like those characters would not be approved for the MMCC due to being a crossover kit. (in that pic is also a Buzz Mando)

So whether or not your paint scheme is EXACTLY like Buzz's is irrelevant. It was designed to make your Mando look like Buzz Lightyear. I hope this helps in understanding the definition of a crossover kit.

Again, you have a great kit! If you have submitted your pre-app you should soon have an official review of it. If you want further clarification, please ask the App Team via the Q&A, as they are the deciding factors, not your fellow UMs/OMs giving their opinions (mine included).

Arkham's WIP

Tra'cor Clan // G.O.M.O.L # 032 // M.V.S #68 // O.O.P.S.! #52 // L.O.B #49
« Reply #20 on: Sep 11, 2022, 10:28 AM »
Since my chest armor and helmet are sadly not combinable for application,
I started on drafting myself a modern era chest armor.
Here is my sizing, would be good to hear if I can go ahead with the details on it.

B.O.M.B. #101

Fabian

« Reply #21 on: Sep 12, 2022, 12:38 AM »
Looking good vode

This is the way

Geila Alo

• Awards Clan Growth
« Reply #22 on: Sep 14, 2022, 01:04 AM »
Hi Koteb

In my opinion I think the sizing looks good. Just make shore that it's also spaced consistently between the collarplate and chestplates (when you are wearing the armor).

Oya

Geila alo

Dar'manda

• Awards 40% increase or more
« Reply #23 on: Sep 14, 2022, 07:10 AM »
Hi vod!

The sizing looks good. Like Geila already said, just have an eye on the spacing.  :like:

Looking forward to see more!

Greetings
Thanatos

Talyc_Cabur

• AJ Thomas
  • Awards Mobile Engineers Brigade Member EnviroOps
« Reply #24 on: Sep 15, 2022, 04:13 PM »
Spot on! Templates look tidy 😄

The Bloodstained Guardian

"A pocket full of credits, dar'manda? We've something much more valuable"
Kar'taylir Aliit!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!