Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Ruug'la Carud's Late Crusader Build

• 17 Replies

Ruug'la Carud

• kyr'am ra kote
  • Awards Mobile Engineers Brigade Member 15+ clan level invasions Family events Special Weapons EnviroOps
Ruug'la Carud's Late Crusader Build
« on: Sep 02, 2022, 06:58 PM »
I'm starting a late crusader build next. mostly spurred on by wanting to use a mcq boba helmet with more freedom than the modern crls allow.

i worked up a lot of different concept art, but this is the one that won out.

the helmet:

the belt and gloves:

the shoulder plates:

the backplate/jetpack is still very much in progress.

still havent decided on a weapon. my modern kit has a de-10, a gaffi and a sword for main weapons, my PI kit has a modified dt-12, a scattergun and a vibro ax. ive been using the comic art, and vg reference trying to figure out what constitutes a weapon from this era. the comic art seems like mostly blaster rifles and pistols and one guy with knuckle blades. the video games have endless weapons options but its tough to tell what makes sense for a mando crusader. and most of the melee weapons seem to be light up swords of some kind. i see very few options for prints or casts from this era for blasters, but so many options from the game that id think anything with like elements to those, and not recognizably modern era, should work. thinking of going with an airsoft mod pistol build. would like a good melee weapon for non blaster troops but havent found anything yet that looks like it would work right with my design.

boots i have narrowed down to three options. they need to be tall to help hold the planned shnees. first, engineer boots would be the simplest. second option would be ankle boots and half chaps like i did on my modern kit. it would give a taller and tighter base to attach the shnee too. or third, ive found some crazy looking motorcycle boots with the same ribbed pattern on the gloves. theyre expensive but my shnee plan would perfectly cover their logos.

gauntlets will be half bracers with small blaster barrels under a built up cover at the wrist.
heres are said blasters for the top. theyre small heatsink cpu coolers. from there up i want a row of lights up the center like rohlan dyres, but i was thinking about using faceted jewels for the top, like on an old fender amp. leather straps with buckles planned for the bottom of the bracers.

for the waist im trying to decide between a rope girth, a ribbed duckcloth one or a privateer type sash. the second option would be best to attach the kama and loin to, but the latter would cover enough to use a different method. the rope one could go either way depending on how i back it. i know i dont need one and cant find much reference art using them, but id like something straight to cover the top of the kama and loin with how the belt buckle dips in the middle. and i like the shock of red in the middle.

this era is new territory for me so any help, advice, thoughts would be appreciated.

Odran Krayt

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din (Family is more than blood)
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023.
Re: Ruug'la Carud's Late Crusader Build
« Reply #1 on: Sep 08, 2022, 02:08 AM »
Wow! Looking good so far! I've had an LC semi in the works for some time, but between Darth Real Life and a variety of other costumes, it's fallen a bit to the wayside.

B.O.M.B.  #85|L.O.B. #41|M.A. #180|MAJIC #184|B.o.B.B #028
New Death Watch Order #44|O.O.P.S! #44
ALUMINATI #053 | V.B.V #7
Odran Krayt WIP
Nexan Armories (Sales thread)
I've been doin' this since I was 10!
« Reply #2 on: Sep 08, 2022, 07:19 AM »
I have to know. What is that buckle? It is great!

Love the work done so far.

Ruug'la Carud

• kyr'am ra kote
  • Awards Mobile Engineers Brigade Member 15+ clan level invasions Family events Special Weapons EnviroOps
« Reply #3 on: Sep 10, 2022, 02:19 AM »
thank you.

the buckle is a 5 point racing harness seat belt.

today i started working on the weapon.
a mix of this

and this

i stripped off the unnecessary parts, added the lower barrel and a few thumbscrews. it needs a scope, a top barrel and some canister pieces on the ends of the bow limbs. maybe a sling, add a magazine, some leds, some wraps on the stock...

Ruug'la Carud

• kyr'am ra kote
« Reply #4 on: Oct 25, 2022, 04:18 AM »
making progress on the bowcaster.

theres 6 green leds in each limb head and also a cluster of five in the barrel that are set on a momentary switch to the trigger.

Ruug'la Carud

• kyr'am ra kote
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2023, 03:53 AM »
jetpack for my late crusader build

Karl Dha'Werda

• MMCC Karl & Rex Dha'Werda &RL/TDE Karl Darklighter
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Donated four quarters of 2023. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2023, 12:40 PM »

Sweet, I love seeing other LC kits.  The bowcaster is awesome, I just finished upgrading my SWTOR sniper this past weekend.  Really fits the era.

Fair warning I like to take pictures and I've written a novel, so be prepared for both.
Karl Dha'Werda Facebook
Oyu'baat Clan
OM Troops: 84
Mandalorian WIP
Late Crusader kit
B.E.A.R.D.S#137|Mando Rider#038|ALUMINATI#036 FMM|MLCS#026|Oribru Akaata#54|MVS#100

Veeds

• Goren Vex
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #7 on: Jan 19, 2023, 09:30 AM »
Looking great, I have been contemplating a LC for a few years. I have just started on making the rough parts.

Ruug'la Carud

• kyr'am ra kote
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2023, 05:38 AM »
thank you, much appreciated.

karl - your new sniper rifle is all sorts of awesome. build, weathering, everything. ive referenced your thread quite a few times trying to better understand this era.

veeds - thats great. look forward to seeing it.

the gauntlets came in and i started filling and sanding the prints. ive got bar magnets coming in to join them. i will most likely carve a little damage into them before i paint them. ill shoot them silver and a chipped red overtop.

im still waiting on the vest, but i tried on the rest of the soft goods.

i didnt love the grey of the jumpsuit with the green in the kama and loin, so i dyed the jumpsuit a lil darker. heres a bit of it with a pocket i removed before dying it to show the difference.

next i need to get some sintra to get started on the chest, back and shnees.

Ruug'la Carud

• kyr'am ra kote

Karl Dha'Werda

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Donated four quarters of 2023. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2023, 08:11 AM »
gauntlets

Nice, did you make these gauntlets from scratch or get them someone?  I'm looking at potentially upgrading my LC kit to have hard gauntlets like these instead of leather ones.

Fair warning I like to take pictures and I've written a novel, so be prepared for both.
Karl Dha'Werda Facebook
Oyu'baat Clan
Mandalorian WIP
Late Crusader kit
B.E.A.R.D.S#137|Mando Rider#038|ALUMINATI#036 FMM|MLCS#026|Oribru Akaata#54|MVS#100

Ruug'la Carud

• kyr'am ra kote
« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2023, 01:01 PM »
Thanks. Theyre a resin 3d print, i got them from an etsy seller called themoderngeekshop.

Karl Dha'Werda

« Reply #12 on: Feb 24, 2023, 09:54 PM »
Theyre a resin 3d print, i got them from an etsy seller called themoderngeekshop.

Perfect, I worked with Kevin last week for measurements and placed my order today.  Now to wait a month or two.  Thanks for the info!

Karl Dha'Werda Facebook
Oyu'baat Clan
Mandalorian WIP
Late Crusader kit

Ruug'la Carud

• kyr'am ra kote
« Reply #13 on: Feb 25, 2023, 01:50 AM »
right on, glad i could help.

some updates.

boots - sketchers, ww1 puttees, leather straps and buckles, and shnees, boot and toe armor from sintra.

butt plate

working on the chest plate now

Karl Dha'Werda

« Reply #14 on: Mar 07, 2023, 10:22 AM »
Coming along great, I like the progress you've been posting on your clan WIP.  This kit is going to be awesome!

Also thanks to you I have eliminated floating on my kit for the chest plate.  You inspired some great ideas with how to strap your back plate to the chest plate.

I now have velcro straps and they work so much better.

Karl Dha'Werda Facebook
Oyu'baat Clan
Mandalorian WIP
Late Crusader kit

Ruug'la Carud

• kyr'am ra kote
« Reply #15 on: Mar 07, 2023, 03:29 PM »
thats awesome. youve been a great help for me on this and im glad i could return a lil of that help back your way. thats the beauty of this club. besides even the charity or the fun, its also a supportive art collective.

« Last Edit: Mar 08, 2023, 04:51 AM by Ruug'la Carud » Logged

Ruug'la Carud

• kyr'am ra kote
« Reply #16 on: Feb 27, 2024, 04:59 PM »
forgot to cap this thread off

those were my app pics.

with the bowcaster

i love that helmet but you dont realize how much you use that center bar of the visor til its gone. so i added a second helmet with better visibility for more mobile troops. i also got my desert kit gaffi approved for this kit too for non blaster troops.

out in the field

Karl Dha'Werda

« Reply #17 on: Feb 28, 2024, 07:49 AM »
Epic finish to this crusader kit.  The new bucket looks like you'll have a lot more visibility while walking around in kit.  Thanks for the update too, I know it will inspire and help others looking to build their own crusader.

Karl Dha'Werda Facebook
Oyu'baat Clan
Mandalorian WIP
Late Crusader kit

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!