Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Legacy Aluminium Mando

• 5 Replies

Sandra_1976

• You can run...but you will only die tired.
Legacy Aluminium Mando
« on: Sep 04, 2022, 10:27 AM »
I am in the very middle of this build, but I thought I would show where I am at now:

Still tinkering with some attachment issues, but I am mostly there. The crushgaunts are also mostly planned out, the right side will have a kind of double flamethrower mounted on, maybe something else at the side, we shall see.

The helmet seems to be slightly cursed, this is my second attempt. It is still too large, my eyes are at the bottom of the eyeslit, and it chafes onto my chestplate:

Regarding my weapons: two DC 17 hand blasters, one DC 17m, several knives, a Beskad, a bowstaff, and some grenades here and there. For this, I am planning to make some kind of rig. All of this is 3d-printed, but all of it still needs sanding and all of those good things.

Some traumaplates are also missing in these pictures. I made the grave mistake of carelessly grinding down the burr at the screwholes, which left some nasty, visible scratches in the metal. As I want to have this kit in pristine condition (my Boba Fett build is the exact opposite - so I have enough dirt and scratches on that one), these have to go. Also, it is still visible even if these plates will be painted matte black. For the edges of the aluminium I will use some bright red edge protection, so it will be a nice contrast.

So still tons to do, but that's why we are here.

Sandra_1976

Re: Legacy Aluminium Mando
« Reply #1 on: Sep 14, 2022, 12:30 AM »
The helmet shown is reprinting right now in a smaller scale.

In the meantime, I decided to go for this configuration with this type of helmet: https://www.renderhub.com/lafactorystore/mandalorian-knight-custom-helmet-3d-print-model

After some clearing up of our barn, I dug out this old treasure:

It is very difficult to sell these. They were custom-made for me 20 years ago and very well used during the times I trained for dressage very intensifely. As I cannot bring myself to discard them (these things cost a little fortune then, and even more now), I asked in the German section whether they could be approvable. As this was positive, I sat down and played a little with Mando Creator:

This could be a nice, lighter setup for summer. I might even go as far as to use fingerless gloves. The boots itself are surprisingly not hot, and very comfortable for me. I will use the visored helmet for this, print a pair of gauntlets and knees. Whether this will be considered an upgrade or an entirely new kit remains still to be seen.

As this kit will be not weathered, those boots have to be sent to a cobbler for an overhaul. I basically only cleaned them thoroughly when I put them away and that was it. But after a little bit of TLC, they will literally shine again. To cut off the little tab with the logo is quickly done, and the zip will get a cover. That's it.

Sandra_1976

« Reply #2 on: Sep 16, 2022, 08:01 AM »
Finally, the right crushgaunt works:

Still much sanding and polishing to do. Also have to decide what all of the buttons and stuff do.

« Reply #3 on: Sep 16, 2022, 11:09 AM »
Woah, this kit looks amazing so far!! Great job!   :8):

Sandra_1976

« Reply #4 on: Sep 19, 2022, 06:07 AM »
In order to get away from that dangerous "knight crossover territory", I decided to ditch the high-gloss polishing (my husband told me it would dull pretty soon anyways), and laid down my paint scheme in Mando Creator:

Most of it will be in teal, the accent colour a warm yellow-golden. I am still looking for the right shade, as I am very picky here. I think these colours will go very nicely with the black and red, which I will keep.

As the "Bullseye" helmet turned out simply too long for me, I decided to instead choose this model:

https://www.renderhub.com/lafactorystore/mandalorian-knight-custom-helmet-3d-print-model

I think it fits the overall design scheme much better. It will be a nightmare to sand, I am sure. But I will get by.

By the way, this is my sigil:

I chose a Guarlara, because it is the closest I could find in the Star Wars universe to a horse (although they kill me now due to heavy asthma, I still love them. I was a very serious dressage rider in my days, so I want to include that in this kit). I hope to achieve a similar effect to this image.

This is how it looks currently:

I will try my luck with masking liquid. We shall see how this works (sometimes it does not work, I am worried about the stuff stubbornly sticking to the tiny details).

Sandra_1976

« Reply #5 on: Sep 22, 2022, 12:04 AM »
Trauma plate with sigil and opposite shoulder trauma plate done:

(By the way: my mount is a dropout from the Naboo Royal Stables. He has a bit of an issue with aggression. That's how I got him - for a good bit of credits, of course. And that's how I designed my sigil.)

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!