Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Arkham's Arsenal - The New Batch

• 3 Replies

Arkham

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Legends of Mandalore Brigade Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions
Arkham's Arsenal - The New Batch
« on: Sep 13, 2022, 02:07 PM »
Rather than reviving a necro-post, I thought I would start a new one. I've been building a lot, but not posting much. So I'll try to get some new posts in.

The Mare's Leg:

As one of the requirements for Gunslinger is “One short-barreled, two-handed blaster” and (at the time I started this journey) a mare’s leg holster or back scabbard, I thought, “Why not make a Mare’s leg?” This started me down the path of researching the original Mare’s Leg and its holster. Once I had that, I began designing.

This was my original design:

I decided to lose the lever-action as it is not a slug-thrower. I also decided to go for a pistol grip rather than the sawed-off stock. So it was off to printing.

I got about this far in and realized it was going to be too long for my needs (and thigh). So I went back to the 3D design and shortened the main body by about 1.5” and reprinted. I also had to reduce a couple of the barrel pieces.

For the handle I fashioned it all out of poplar:

Here is the final version:

Because I based my Mare’s Leg off the original Mare’s Leg, I decided I would do likewise when it came to the holster. This posed a couple of issues, namely:

• How to “hook” the blaster to the holster?
  • How to clamp the barrel of the holster?
  • How to stiffen the length of the holster?

For the hook issue I got a set of steel picture hanging hardware. Unbent the section I needed to be flat and cut it to the length I needed.

For the barrel clamp I knew that I needed to make some type of spring clamp. I thought the best option was to get a couple of old-school steel cycling cuff clamps (used for keeping your pants out of your chain when riding your bike). I shaped these to the profile I needed and then cut them to length and built them into a leather cuff. This will then be bolted to the rest of the holster using Chicago screws.

To stiffen the holster I used two methods:
  • I would build the holster from a sandwich of two pieces of leather
  • I would use a strip of brass to add more stiffness between the layers

This also afforded me the opportunity to drill some holes in the brass to allow both the hook and the clamp to be Chicago screwed through it, reinforcing the holster further.

This is the overall look of the holster. (I didn’t get too many pics of the build up to this point) This was taken while gluing the two pieces of leather together with the brass in between. You can see where the hook and Chicago screws will go. There was a whole lot of hand stitching in my future at this point:

Next was the staining and stitching. Once that was done, and the edges were burnished, it was time to bolt everything together:

…and here is the final result:

Mocked up for the actual carry (now I need to make a gun belt to carry it):

As for the aborted prototype? Don’t worry. I had a plan for that that you'll see in a future post.

Arkham's WIP

Tra'cor Clan // G.O.M.O.L # 032 // M.V.S #68 // O.O.P.S.! #52 // L.O.B #49
Re: Arkham's Arsenal - The New Batch
« Reply #1 on: Sep 19, 2022, 04:26 PM »
i've been toying with something similar, there is a company that makes a Remington model1887 shell firing nerf blaster

Arkham

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Legends of Mandalore Brigade Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #2 on: Sep 20, 2022, 11:05 AM »
I've seen that. Seem like a lot of money to spend on something I'd have to rip the guts out of to make in operable to have on a kit. That's why I went the route I did.

Arkham's WIP

Tra'cor Clan // G.O.M.O.L # 032 // M.V.S #68 // O.O.P.S.! #52 // L.O.B #49
« Reply #3 on: Sep 20, 2022, 12:33 PM »
i'm guessing the mare's leg idea is the traditional side gate loading system? i've been toying with the idea of a RSC mle 1917/18 style magazine loading style

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!