Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Wet-suit as flight suit?

• 6 Replies

Dragon Sunkiller

• Always remember.... that way you never forget!
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
Wet-suit as flight suit?
« on: Feb 02, 2010, 12:27 PM »
Hey ner'vod. I'm in the armor planning stage, just about to start building this weekend, and I have been thinking really hard about what to wear for a flight suit. I know in the Karen Travis books they seemed to be almost skin tight and the plates went right onto them instead of a vest. So, in my mind I was thinking some kind of beefier underarmor, but I couldn't think of how to make it work. Then it hit me, why not use a wet suit similar to what is used when kayaking, snorkolling, or diving? In my mind, it would add realism to the vac-suit capabilities of mando armor. Also, I found some amazing magnets at Hobby Lobby (magnetic rating of 10) that I think would be cool to attach to the plates, then attach another to the wet suit. They would be virtually invisible, and you would be "snapping" your plates right to it. Also, it would make mobility quite high, which is something I really want both as a martial artist, and because my character is a melee-type fighter. Any ideas on whether this has been done, or if it would work well? I'm sure other ways of attaching plates would work quite well also.

M.A.J.I.C. #057
OM# 371

Dragon Sunkiller

• Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Wet-suit as flight suit?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2010, 12:36 PM »
Here is a link to a website that sells them for as cheap as $20. I don't know what the quality is or anything like that, but I can say this is the route I'm planning unless someone tells me that I should steer clear of it.

http://www.tommydsports.com/

M.A.J.I.C. #057
OM# 371

Pyro

• I am the salsa verde!
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2010, 12:59 PM »
A wet-suit would be way to HOT
 :o
Try under amour instead

GreatSkyRiver Falco

• Haamyc ner nu'amyc
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2010, 01:03 PM »
word! think of the neoprene face mask for wintertime.....designed to keep you warm!
wetsuits are the same so you don't get hypothermia... which can happen even in tropical water somtimes.. ;)
maybe a newyears day outdoor parade if you live in a colder clime.

OriKebiin'traYustapir
Victory, not vengence.
reality is a hologram created by our minds.
M.A.J.I.C # 008

Dar'manda

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2010, 01:10 PM »
Have already had a member here who tried a wet suit and he did not enjoy it at all.  It offered no breathablity and was very hot and sweaty.  Flight suits are usually "fitted" but nowhere in the books does it describe the mando suits as form-fitting skin-tight.  You may be thinking of the clone underarmor.

Dragon Sunkiller

« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2010, 01:33 PM »
Whoops, my bad. I was thinking more of Delta Squad I think. Thanks for the heads-up vod! Yeah, I suppose that wouldn't be all that comfortable.... unless you were doing a parade in Russia.  :D I'll scratch that idea then and just go with a flight suit and vest. Again, thanks for the advice!

M.A.J.I.C. #057
OM# 371

Afos Redemption

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2010, 10:44 PM »
I thought of trying to make just the vest out of a xxLor xxxL shorty style 3mm wet suit seeing it has the zipper in the back and all but for the price it cost to have one custom made I couldnt resist going that route. Good thinking though vod...

Pro Patria
(for country)

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!