Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Wookie Bowcasters

• 10 Replies
Wookie Bowcasters
« on: Oct 21, 2022, 11:21 PM »
This is a concept of my armor's character that he has a Bowcaster but I don't know if they come in pistol form. I can't find any information about if they do or not. Plus I do not know if Wookies would ever make a Bowcaster scaled down for a non-wookie to use. Does anyone have any info that could help me with this?

Xonn Krys - Mandalorian Bounty Hunter, Captain of the Dragon's Fortune

Arminius

Re: Wookie Bowcasters
« Reply #1 on: Oct 22, 2022, 12:10 AM »
Bowcasters are not only weapons but also ceremonial, traditional objects that are hand-made, so that pretty much rules out the possibility of them making one for a non-Wookiee. However they did employ some blaster rifles and other similar weapons.

That being said, there are two known examples of Wookiee blaster pistols, one of which, the Kashyyyk stalker pistol, does look like a scaled-down bowcaster. In canon there is also a Wookiee pistol that is said to resemble the Wokkie Slug-Thrower, but it doesn't seem it has been depicted.

« Last Edit: Oct 22, 2022, 03:55 AM by Arminius » Logged
The strongest stars have hearts of kyber, but the strongest warriors have hearts of beskar.
« Reply #2 on: Oct 22, 2022, 03:12 AM »
What if it was reverse-engineered?

« Reply #3 on: Oct 22, 2022, 09:48 AM »
What if it was reverse-engineered?

That would be one explanation. Or maybe you helped out a village on Kashyyyk and they made you one to honor your actions. Traditional, ceremonial, handmade objects that are unique to a specific culture being gifted to an "outsider" is not uncommon. I should know, I have a few.

I can think of a number of reasons why a Wookie village would want to show their respect by making you a bowcaster, and then making it pistol sized and calling you "Little Wookie" or "clawless" as a humorous nickname. Then, as happens in real life, you could have stories of running into Wookies around the galaxy and they question you about it. Some are angry like you are misusing something of cultural importance for them and others might be jealous because the markings show that you are a respected member of a clan/tribe/village and they don't have that same status. Message me if you want some brainstorm ideas.

The main reason to make one is because you like the concept and want to make one. I have a few props that wouldn't pass application standards, but I like them so I made them to put on my wall. Don't let anyone tell you how to nerd.

« Reply #4 on: Oct 22, 2022, 06:48 PM »
I am thinking of having my charachter carry a kind of bowcaster. His background is a pot hunter. No. Nothing to do with a 5 pointed leaf that is legal in some states. A pot hunter is the guy who keeps game in the pot when the rich dentist goes on safari. The rich dentist hires himself a Great White Hunter type who runs the Safari. He hires the native guides, the guys who carry stuff and at least one guy who goes out and takes down game that makes a good meal for the camp, and pleases the rich dentist so he will break out his crate of scotch more often.

My idea is Ze'von is the son of a Mandalorian who was the Great White Hunter type and led many the safari on worlds where only the richest and most sucidal of dentists would dare hunt. Like Kashyyyk. My idea is Ze'von and his father were well known in several of the Wookie villiages and as an honorific they gave his father a bowcaster. When Ze'von's father died he incorporated his fathers armor into his own and also carries the bowcaster. However he isn't the kind of Mandalorian who has the charisma to run a safari, so he just works for another guy, who isn't a Mandalorian, and hunts for the pot.

I've seen a wide variety of bowcasters on the Clone Wars Padawan Lost episodes, when the rest of the Wookies come to give a well deserved beat down on the Trandoshans. They don't seem to have a typical design, very personalized. Mind you I'd try for a vertical crossbow design if for no other reason than to make it easier to carry through a convention...

« Reply #5 on: Nov 14, 2022, 11:25 PM »
I found  a toy crossbow that would make a good base to start making into a bowcaster prop:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Adventure-Force-Crossbow-With-Darts-And-2-Flip-Clips-Red-dot-scope-included-batteries-required/877513577

« Reply #6 on: Nov 15, 2022, 09:06 AM »
I found  a toy crossbow that would make a good base to start making into a bowcaster prop:

Did you look at it in the hands of the small kid? It looks like a rather small toy.

I'd start from scratch with a hunk of nice looking wood and carve out the stock and body.  Since it doesn't have to shoot an aluminum bar could easily be bent into the bow.

« Reply #7 on: Nov 15, 2022, 09:24 PM »
Did you look at it in the hands of the small kid? It looks like a rather small toy.

I'd start from scratch with a hunk of nice looking wood and carve out the stock and body.  Since it doesn't have to shoot an aluminum bar could easily be bent into the bow.

I've seen it in person at my local Walmart and it's a decent size, with some modifications I think it would do nicely.

« Reply #8 on: Nov 16, 2022, 12:51 PM »
I've seen it in person at my local Walmart and it's a decent size, with some modifications I think it would do nicely.

Good luck with it.

« Reply #9 on: Nov 17, 2022, 04:44 PM »
You could use existing in universe weapons as a base to build your bowcaster on, like Chewbacca did.
Nothing wrong with scavenging useful weapon parts, you know  ;)
I'm planning on building a bowcaster too, using some blaster rifles as a parts donor.

« Reply #10 on: Nov 18, 2022, 12:07 AM »
You could use existing in universe weapons as a base to build your bowcaster on, like Chewbacca did.
Nothing wrong with scavenging useful weapon parts, you know  ;)
I'm planning on building a bowcaster too, using some blaster rifles as a parts donor.

That's what my Mando character is doing, using parts of his Blaster Rifle to create his own. The wookies showed him how to craft one after he aided them against Trandoshan Slavers and saving a wookie child that somehow wandered down to the forest floor of Kashyyyk.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!