Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

AB62 Pulse Rifle

• 10 Replies

Xal Zar

• I will avenge my father and my clan!
AB62 Pulse Rifle
« on: Oct 19, 2022, 06:07 PM »
So I am working on making my blaster for my kit and I am planning on using the stock/hand grip from my old nerf thunderhawk but I don't know where to start because I now need to construct the rest of the blaster after I take it down to what you see in the picture bellow if anyone else has any experience with a similar issue would love some tips

pic pictures images

Also no a AB62 Pulse Rifle is not from Canon I don't believe😅

"Don't ever give up even when you should be dead stand up and fight, May your will be strong as beskar, Don't ever break your promises and be a good friend, lastly live life to the fullest.
Farewell my son."      Darid Zar
Re: AB62 Pulse Rifle
« Reply #1 on: Oct 19, 2022, 07:20 PM »
You might want to check this tutorial. It's up to you but Nerf weapons are very recognizable so if you are building a weapon from scratch I personally don't recommend using Nerf parts because you'd have to modify them a lot until it basically stops looking like a Nerf.

https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=156245.0

The strongest stars have hearts of kyber, but the strongest warriors have hearts of beskar.

Xal Zar

« Reply #2 on: Oct 19, 2022, 07:51 PM »
The problem is I don't know how exactly to make a handle from scratch but I did look at the tutorial and so far I've followed it don't see any nerf designs on it that was mostly on the body of the blaster and the stock screens star wars too me but idk maybe I could try to make it out of wood

"Don't ever give up even when you should be dead stand up and fight, May your will be strong as beskar, Don't ever break your promises and be a good friend, lastly live life to the fullest.
« Reply #3 on: Oct 19, 2022, 09:10 PM »
One way is to take reference pictures of real world or in-universe weapons, scale (based on listed dimensions) and trace them and then print out templates. I'm pretty sure there are free programs out there that you can do all this with. Check out Punished Props on YouTube, they have several tutorials about modeling and scratchbuilding props from templates made with low cost/free software.
From there, it's transferring the templates onto material, cut/shape/carve/sand paint.

You can also trace the shapes of parts you like from Nerf or other toy weapons onto paper, cut them out and assemble them into new blaster-like shapes, transfer to wood or PVC board and then cut/shape/carve/sand paint.

Use PVC pipes as barrels and scopes and matching fittings to add dimension. If you use PVC trim boards (like sintra but thicker and cheap) then you can do a lot of the assembly with pipe cement - wear your respirator and ventilate your workspace.

I really like scratchbuilding weapons. All of mine start as a 2D template that I've drawn (or borrowed).

Xal Zar

« Reply #4 on: Oct 23, 2022, 10:14 AM »
About how thick of a foam board would be good to make the handle/stock

« Reply #5 on: Oct 23, 2022, 05:55 PM »
You can get PVC boards in 1/4", 1/2", 3/4" thick sheets or planks pretty easily, and you can layer it up in any combination you need. I'd check out examples of real weapons to see what the 'right' starting place is and adjust to fit your hands. You can do the same with wood planks also if that is your preference, the processes are pretty much the same.
I made all my pistols with 3/4" core pieces. I left the handle at 3/4" and added plates of sintra on the sides to build up different layers on the main bodies.
For my carbine I stacked two layers of 1/2" togetehr for the core and added 1/4" plates on the sides to add dimension.
I carved the corners a bit on all of my blasters so they fit more comfortably in my hands, and both 1" and 3/4" thick handles are comfortable.

Xal Zar

« Reply #6 on: Oct 23, 2022, 06:07 PM »
Oh ok thanks that doesn't sound as hard as some other things. that remedies some things I didn't like on this handle I can remedy with designing it without them I also don't have to worry about connecting it either

Xal Zar

« Reply #7 on: Oct 24, 2022, 09:52 PM »

« Last Edit: Nov 17, 2022, 11:03 AM by Xal Zar » Logged
« Reply #8 on: Oct 25, 2022, 10:04 AM »
Looks good! I'd suggest starting with a bit longer on the main body - it's way easier to shorten than lengthen. Even with the open frame stock it may balance more to the back.
I sometimes wish I had about 1 - 1.5 inches more on the body of my carbine, the foregrip feels a little bit close in at times.

Xal Zar

« Reply #9 on: Oct 25, 2022, 11:07 AM »
😅may be wierd but I prefer compact type barrels such as a uzi and often times hold right next to the trigger area but I definitely do need to give room for error

« Reply #10 on: Nov 15, 2022, 09:16 AM »
I am working on a blaster now and I am using a paint ball gun as the base.

Mind you, I've no idea what the basic pistols cost, we got two of them from my inlaws for free when their youngest son moved to Canada to be with his baby momma. As my father in law calls her "that Canadian whore". Anyhow my father in law sent us a pile of the brother in laws stuff he couldn't pack and take to Canada. There was a disowning involved and my father in law still liked my son and wife at that point so he was buying love with a pile of semi interesting junk...

Anyhow, I've patched a lot of the unneeded holes with epoxy, cut off unneeded hunks of aluminum and painted it with a black primer and am using a hammered metal spray paint to finish it off. I don't have pictures yet as the touchup paint is now drying. I have three different barrels to chose from and there are two threaded holes at the base of the grip and I think I can rig a nice removable stock to it. I think it will look nice when I get done.  If you can find a cheep one on E Bay it would be a good start. It has some moving parts that give it a "real" look. I've left it where you can actualy draw back the bolt and when you pull the trigger it slams down and makes a chuffing nosie.  Wont even project a was of paper towels from the barrel so it's safe as houses.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!