Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

My long planned but just started Early Crusader WIP

• 45 Replies

Orin Urakto

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Re: My long planned but just started Early Crusader WIP
« Reply #25 on: Apr 02, 2023, 11:46 PM »
While not exactly an armor update, it is armor adjacent. I bought a 50 gal Husky rolling box, the one we all seem to have, and quickly determined it just wasnt big enough lol. So I got the Dewalt 63 gal box.

I knew I wanted to do something that would make it easy to keep track of things and protect all the horns and spikes from damage so I got a crap ton of packing foam and got to work.

Theres 4 layers of this to give full protection to all my plates

I also wanted my box to be unique and match my armor so I "boned" it lol.

It will hold all my stuff (just barely)

I didnt get a shot of the weathering I did and I still have to put the finishing touches on.

Orin Urakto

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #26 on: Jun 11, 2023, 08:41 PM »
Its been a bit but here are some updates.

I completed my backpack. I put an access panel on the side that faces me because I plan to add some fans to it to blow cool air into my costume later.

I decided the handle on my axe was way to big for logistics reasons so I shortened it

I did some decorative stitching on the shoulders of my chest armor but they will mostly be hidden by my shoulder armor

I added a simple loin cloth

and armor plates to the gloves

This is the first full kit up

We decided that the shoulders looked too small when next to the helmet so I remade one of them and then plan to add the replaced one as a third stacked plate on the other side. Here is a side by side of the old and new plate

Also added some weathering to the soft parts and red leather as it popped a bit too much compared to the rest of the kit

Whew. Im hoping to be ready to app in soon with a little more fitting and making sure it all stays in place.

Karl Dha'Werda

• MMCC Karl & Rex Dha'Werda &RL/TDE Karl Darklighter
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Donated during Quarter 4 of 2023. Donated during Quarter 3 of 2023. Donated during Quarter 2 of 2023. Donated during Quarter 1 of 2023.
« Reply #27 on: Jun 11, 2023, 09:31 PM »
This is the first full kit up

Looking great!  Great ideas for improvements.

Fair warning I like to take pictures and I've written a novel, so be prepared for both.
Karl Dha'Werda Facebook
Oyu'baat Clan
OM Troops: 80
Mandalorian WIP
Late Crusader kit
B.E.A.R.D.S#137|Mando Rider#038|ALUMINATI#036 FMM|MLCS#026|Oribru Akaata#54|MVS#100

Orin Urakto

« Reply #28 on: Dec 16, 2023, 08:20 PM »
So things have taken quite a bit longer to get round for me.
Ive decided that after several times wearing the helmet I made it just wasn't fitting the image I wanted. So I am making a new one.

I had to remember how to use Blender again but after some trial and error I managed to make a new design

This will be the base and the final form will have things added after its put together.

Im using Pepakura Designer to break it down to a 2 d model

And all the fun begins:

More updates to follow

Orin Urakto

« Reply #29 on: Dec 18, 2023, 08:43 PM »
Helmet constructed and hardening commencing

Terak

• USAF Veteran, Retired Civil Servant
  • Awards Donated during Quarter 4 of 2023. Donated during Quarter 3 of 2023. Donated during Quarter 2 of 2023. Donated during Quarter 1 of 2023.
« Reply #30 on: Dec 19, 2023, 11:39 AM »
Great build, I think your choice to do another helmet is a good one. I like the silhouette and shaping of the new one! Great job!

Member of Cabur Akaata (Protector Battalion) #251
Member of Grey Brigade, OT Guard #117
Member of Raddic's Roughnecks
Official Member #2899

Terak J'Brin, grew up on Concordia with the Death Watch, but in the post-Imperial era, has become a bounty hunter to support the Clan.

Orin Urakto

« Reply #31 on: Dec 21, 2023, 11:08 PM »
Got a few layers of resin done on the outside and the first layer of rondo on the inside.

A few more of each and Ill be ready to start some sanding.

« Reply #32 on: Dec 27, 2023, 02:12 PM »
Love it, going to be so unique!!

Ni liser ve'ganir gar o'r ciryc ra Ni liser ve'ganir gar o'r nadala

fox3man

• Awards Donated during Quarter 4 of 2023. Donated during Quarter 3 of 2023. Donated during Quarter 2 of 2023. Donated during Quarter 1 of 2023.
« Reply #33 on: Dec 28, 2023, 03:05 PM »
Holy cow! i love that bucket. amazing work!

Orin Urakto

« Reply #34 on: Jan 19, 2024, 04:59 PM »
Continuing work on the helmet. Ive got it all bondo'd and sanded. Not perfectly smooth mind you still a few divets and imperfections.

Got the Visor area cut out and I am using some vinyl tubing as a base for the brow ridge Im doing around the crown. Figured I would save alot of Apoxie Sculpt and weight this way.

I used what I had left to get started on molding the brow ridge. Time to reorder!

« Reply #35 on: Jan 21, 2024, 12:01 AM »
That's awesome!! Would be kind of cool to have those 2 come to a y joint then follow down to your back for the hose requirement

Orin Urakto

« Reply #36 on: Jan 21, 2024, 12:51 AM »
That's awesome!! Would be kind of cool to have those 2 come to a y joint then follow down to your back for the hose requirement

Hmmmm. Thats not a bad idea.....

Orin Urakto

« Reply #37 on: Jan 23, 2024, 08:46 PM »
A few more updates:

Got the brow ridge and cranial ridges done as well as primary horns. I may add a few other details but then its on to sanding then ready to start paint.

Orin Urakto

« Reply #38 on: Jan 30, 2024, 03:20 AM »
The helmet just looked incomplete so I added a few more accents around the brow ridge and now it feels whole

And just a quick bucket on for reference.

Now onto more sanding!!

Orin Urakto

« Reply #39 on: Feb 06, 2024, 08:24 PM »
Ive added the port for the air hose to connect to the rear of the helmet. And with that I think the construction is complete.

Now to sand it till Im happy, paint and put in the visor!

Orin Urakto

« Reply #40 on: Feb 09, 2024, 08:58 PM »
Sanding is all finished!
Now onto painting

First coat of white over the grey primer

Then onto the Heirloom White

Ignore the shine, the paint was still wet.

Also got some new pieces for the built in voice amplifier

Moving from a 4W to 10W exciter

And since you cant buy just one, here's a bag of microphones

Terak

• USAF Veteran, Retired Civil Servant
« Reply #41 on: Feb 11, 2024, 07:49 AM »
Now that is one wicked looking bucket....headbutts be vicious! Great job!

Member of Cabur Akaata (Protector Battalion) #251
Member of Grey Brigade, OT Guard #117
Member of Raddic's Roughnecks
Official Member #2899

Terak J'Brin, grew up on Concordia with the Death Watch, but in the post-Imperial era, has become a bounty hunter to support the Clan.
« Reply #42 on: Feb 16, 2024, 11:58 PM »
This is incredible!!! Truly amazing and creative work

Orin Urakto

« Reply #43 on: Feb 17, 2024, 01:09 AM »
Finished up the painting and weathering on the bucket.  Just waiting on the new visor to get here.

Also got the new microphone and exciter wired up

« Reply #44 on: Feb 19, 2024, 08:01 PM »
This looks fantastic!! What colors/ washes did you do?

Orin Urakto

« Reply #45 on: Feb 19, 2024, 09:12 PM »
This looks fantastic!! What colors/ washes did you do?

Its an Ivory base and a mix of browns watered down, brushed on and blotted off with a damp cloth

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!