Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

High density Eva foam

• 5 Replies
High density Eva foam
« on: Dec 12, 2022, 06:41 PM »
Hello. I want to build my armor out of high density eva foam. I was hoping it would pass due to the higher density than regular foam but if it doesn't, could I attach pvc onto the existing foam or coat it in resin to meet the requirements?

« Last Edit: Dec 12, 2022, 06:56 PM by Julian Washington » Logged
Re: High density Eva foam
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2022, 08:01 PM »
From what I have read, you will need to fiberglass or resin+matte of some sort. You could also PVC coat the foam, but you may as well work with the PVC at that point. I had asked a similar question in a group and this was the information that was shared with me. I have more experience with high density EVA foam than plastic myself. However, the cost of expanded PVC foam board is similar to EVA foam and you can afford to learn the material. It isn't difficult IMO. I bought a 2x4 sheet of 1/8" PVC for $30 or so and a 1/4" sheet for $35 I think. Enough to make an entire kit and mess up here and there.

Side? I am on nobody’s side, because nobody is on my side.

Second Son

• Awards Special Weapons EnviroOps Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2022, 10:04 PM »
EVA foam is specifically banned as armor material - the density is immaterial. Resin and glass coating it is going to be messy, expensive, and likely to cause problems (plus super toxic).
 If you have foam-smithing experience you can adapt to Sintra (expanded PVC Sheet). Reach out to your local group, there may be some scrap around to practice with / build an entire set of body plates with.

« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2022, 09:36 AM »
Thank you for the information. I will start experimenting with sintra before I go and make a whole suit.

OriKad

• The Grizzled Old Sergeant of Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2022, 12:50 PM »
To expand, having worked with both:  Sintra uses the same tools, skills, and processes as EVA with the added benefit of being sturdier and longer-lasting.  The only difference is that the forming temperature is a little higher and sanding needs more pressure and/or speed because it's firmer. Sintra is also, on average, less expensive per square foot (unless you've been using floor mats, then it's about the same price).

« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2022, 05:01 PM »
Thank you for the information. I will start experimenting with sintra before I go and make a whole suit.

It's very easy! And good luck! Sintra is a brand name. Expanded pvc is the common name. You can get it all over the place, including Amazon these days.

Side? I am on nobody’s side, because nobody is on my side.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!