Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Post-Imp WIP

• 35 Replies

RocketRodsXPR

• The strongest beskar is forged in hellfire.
Post-Imp WIP
« on: Dec 29, 2022, 08:40 PM »
And so it begins...

This is primarily a test print and a process trial before I do any of the final product.  Unless, of course, the stars align and everything goes unexpectedly smoothly.

Is this the Way?  I hope so!

Kandosii Tor

• MMCC 1164
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Post-Imp WIP
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2022, 01:56 AM »
Gotta start somewhere, right?

What kind of print is that? It looks very smooth for your standard filament print...

RocketRodsXPR

« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2022, 10:58 AM »
It was printed on an Anycubic Vyper from PETG filament.  I was shocked at how clean it turned out, considering any previous print was pretty rough (which is fine when it is an organic, like.a creature, but not what you want in armor.)

I honestly set this to print expecting to find either a melting mess or spaghetti in the morning.  Instead it was this... and front left face looks as good.

I am a bit annoyed I have to change filament before continuing.  Here's hoping the new batch will work as well!

Katmya Nehutyc

• Though she be small, she be fierce
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2023, 10:59 AM »
That has got to be one of the cleanest prints I've ever seen in my life. I applaud you!

Can't wait to see what else you print  :porg2: :porg2:

RocketRodsXPR

« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2023, 08:04 PM »
Photos to come shortly.  I have finished the front plates for my helmet, and am working on the first of the three final top pieces.

May have made a mistake printing this one upside down... slicer refused to send to print claiming the print surface was too small (it wasn't) but accepted it in thr same spot just flipped.  And now, as it gets closer to the Mando-like ridge above the visor, I'm concerned thry may nit be as supported as I'd like.

Are the strands a ruined part of an overhand gone wrong, or just traveling webs?

Well, I'll just have to wait and see. 

RocketRodsXPR

« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2023, 04:54 PM »
Have the guide pegs in place for gluing, even though won't be doing that until much later on.  I just wanted to see how the helmet really looks, verses pieces.  Two more prints for the helmet-proper to be done, and then I get to find a way to customize the earpieces.

I also did a test sand on one of the parts of the helmet that ultimately will be pitted and damaged.  So, any accidents can be easily incorporated into the design.

Good?  Bad?  Can't tell?
These questions—and many others—will be answered in the next episode of ... Soap!

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2023, 10:38 PM »
And now I have that theme song in my head.  Thanks. :laugh: :laugh:

Looking good, so far, and really dig the concept in your profile pic.  Traffic Cones Unite!

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2023, 08:26 AM »
I have found that a thin layer of photopolymer resin brushed on, cured, and then washed takes a lot of the sanding time out. I typically sand my FDM prints with 100, 220, and 400 grit and then resin. Then I'll sand in 600+ until I'm happy with the finish.

OM#2860

RocketRodsXPR

« Reply #8 on: Jan 29, 2023, 03:17 PM »
A big step backward...  my helmet, which had been glued, fell apart.  Glad it at least did so now, not after I had sanded more or was painting.

RocketRodsXPR

« Reply #9 on: Feb 02, 2023, 06:31 PM »

Pieced the helmet back together after its original glue job failed spectacularly.  Ensuring it cures before doing a little filament welding and a topcoat of thin resin to fill the gaps.  And then, back to sanding.

RocketRodsXPR

« Reply #10 on: Feb 03, 2023, 02:13 PM »
And another step backwards.  The visor brace works well, but now the helmet is to small.

So looks like I'm starting over.  Or just maybe this isn't meant to be.

RocketRodsXPR

« Reply #11 on: Feb 06, 2023, 10:53 PM »
While my helmet sits in the corner to think long and hard about how it failed, I moved on to start my armor.

Hand plates are much improved over the very line-y first draft, the right gauntlet bases fit and look nice, and the shoulders are coming along nicely.  A lot of sanding and some digging work on the logo to be done, but I feel these are heading in the right direction.  :-)

BTW, would like my character name to be related to fire, since that's my inspiration.  Any ideas?  And no, not Firey McFireFace.

Karson Wren

• Clan Wren - Nayc solus jurkade cuun aliit
« Reply #12 on: Feb 07, 2023, 06:51 AM »
I dunno, Firey mcFireface is a pretty badass name.

Sprry about your helmet vod, setbacks are the worst.

RocketRodsXPR

« Reply #13 on: Feb 07, 2023, 09:13 AM »
Tracyny ad Tracyntroan

Naaaahhhh

« Last Edit: Feb 07, 2023, 09:20 AM by RocketRodsXPR » Logged

RocketRodsXPR

« Reply #14 on: Mar 31, 2023, 04:05 PM »
Still working on this project ... just had another take printer priority for a bit.

So CT and TK armor pieces are okay for Modern... but only TK pieces are approvable with Post Imp.

And no FO yet as haven't seen what Mandos of that era look like, right?

« Reply #15 on: Mar 31, 2023, 04:28 PM »
Did you get the name figured out?

Also, a rebel pilot flight suit would fit your color aesthetic and would be in-universe, I just have no idea if that's allowed but I think it would be pretty cool.

RocketRodsXPR

« Reply #16 on: Mar 31, 2023, 04:52 PM »
Have not figured out a name yet.

I think I may loosely make my flight suit a converted Rebel look, though with weathering and all it shouldn't read as one.  Debating about the flak vest though...would be awesome to make it white and continue the idea but may be too much on the nose.

But a flightsuit's a flightsuit.  If found either in stolen gear, or as loot from an enemy (with a single blaster hole), or as a hint of a backstory... I would imagine it is similar to repurposing a stormtrooper's shin plate if yours is damaged.

Second Son

• Awards Special Weapons EnviroOps Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #17 on: Apr 01, 2023, 12:07 AM »
Still working on this project ... just had another take printer priority for a bit.

So CT and TK armor pieces are okay for Modern... but only TK pieces are approvable with Post Imp.

And no FO yet as haven't seen what Mandos of that era look like, right?

Really the bit about not using CT would be not using the big CT pauldrons for PostImp. A limited thing, like one Clone handplate could be an interesting hint at a bit of character lore.
Using shore trooper or stormie bits is still a good option.

Using a Rebel Orange flightsuit is fine. You could start with a grey, cream, or 'natural' color vest if you're concerned, but it would work fine to do white. It'll get some weathering and scorching anyway.

I think there's a bit of an argument for leeway with something FO (probably weapons) since the Modern & Legacy style armor era covers anywhere from several decades before to a hundred years after the Battle of Yavin. And PI time-wise is sort of in the middle as an alternative style. It might be a Q&A item for the App team to address about a specific thing you had in mind (if you hadn't already gotten that done).

RocketRodsXPR

« Reply #18 on: Apr 01, 2023, 02:18 AM »
PI is just "The Mandalorian has some different ideas about armor thst don't match what we knew before the show."  As time goes on, we all know things will change.

I am a bit nervous with new episodes showing those changes are the exception, not the norm, that the CRLs will change and actually turn any who based armor off of Mando or Paz will find themselves as failed Canon as PI folds back into Modern.

« Last Edit: Apr 01, 2023, 04:07 AM by RocketRodsXPR » Logged

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #19 on: Apr 01, 2023, 12:19 PM »
PI is just "The Mandalorian has some different ideas about armor thst don't match what we knew before the show."  As time goes on, we all know things will change.

I am a bit nervous with new episodes showing those changes are the exception, not the norm, that the CRLs will change and actually turn any who based armor off of Mando or Paz will find themselves as failed Canon as PI folds back into Modern.

Won't happen. There are still plenty of Mandos who wear PI plates; not just in the CotW but also in other groups.

Second Son

• Awards Special Weapons EnviroOps Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #20 on: Apr 01, 2023, 12:32 PM »
I wouldn't worry.  There's examples of the Din v1 being worn by several Mandos, at least one with the upper part of the Paz, and what appeared to me to be a 'male' chest plate on a smaller, possibly female mando'ad - or a younger male wearing a nite owl, which is also great.

My sense is that the result of seeing more Mandalorians on screen than ever before will be an expansion of stylistic variations.

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #21 on: Apr 01, 2023, 01:54 PM »
I wouldn't worry about it. 

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

RocketRodsXPR

« Reply #22 on: Apr 01, 2023, 03:54 PM »
Good to hear!

I think, to mix up things (going against my own tendancy to keep items matching) I may steal a stormtrooper shin as i get things printed.

And I will be leaning the flight suit to be slightly rebel like... even though having a Mando double sleeve will replace a little rod pocket the pilots had.

Now to get my kids to be in school more than one day a week.  My daughter gets sick at the drop of a hat.

And a name.  Still havent found anything fitting.

RocketRodsXPR

« Reply #23 on: Apr 01, 2023, 04:17 PM »
Btw, if anyone can come up with a clan occupation thst may explain some of this, that would help for inspiration.   :jango:

« Reply #24 on: Apr 01, 2023, 07:46 PM »
MY seven year old daughter has had a cold almost constantly this year. 

I feel ya man.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!