Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Dralshya- First Kit- WIP (Pic Heavy)

• 44 Replies
Re: Dralshya- First Kit- WIP (Pic Heavy)
« Reply #30 on: Sep 30, 2012, 10:02 AM »
sireofdoom, I have very minimally. :) I really don't even have an idea as to how to begin making gauntlets, I need to do more research about them and weapons before I begin anything.
Thanks! I reinforced the bondo'd seam with straps of plastic tote and epoxy so it's been holding up really well thus far. I hope it stays strong and I don't have to redo it again. D:

Ronin, Thanks so much! My deadline would be October 26~31. I was planning on an event right before Halloween, but the big thing I'd like it done for takes place on Nov 2-4: Nebraskon. I will heed this advice for sure, I really don't want to miss that deadline! :)

Ronin Tavic

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 2016 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #31 on: Sep 30, 2012, 11:28 PM »
Gauntlets are very important.. but can be done pretty simply. I have a link to my gauntlet WIP that might help, I used large cups and some plastic boxes. very simple, very affordable.. just a little time consuming depending on your level of detail(I'm a detail nazi... so I spend a lot of time when possible on it...) It's as good a place to start as any  :D

Pre-App pics and upgrade thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=63828.15
"I only take 2 things seriously: the lives of my vode, and the deaths of my enemies"
Ni redalu o'r vhetin be'kyram.
"I dance in death's valley"
"we're not mercenary's, more like adventure capitalists"

« Reply #32 on: Oct 03, 2012, 10:39 PM »
Your gauntlets are amazing and SO detailed. o_o
I'll probably end up doing something not so complex just to be sure I meet my deadline, there will always be time for upgrades later :)

Here's another update~
I finished painting and weathering (mostly).
For some reason my stomach plate was off to the side and I forgot to weather it, so I'll work on that when I paint the breast plates. (:

My gauntlets, knee armor, chest pieces, and backplates are all on hold or a WIP right now.

There's all my stuff together for now. I finished the kama! :D
And I dunno why I put the shins up so high, I laughed when I relooked at this picture.

A quick few shots of my helmet, I'll be putting the visor in soon.
I would still like to do a little more detailed weathering.
Hopefully I'll have weapon, gaunt, and finished armor updates soon!

Karvas Dral

• Poodoo.
« Reply #33 on: Oct 03, 2012, 10:43 PM »
Hit the pieces with some black/brown wash! Looks good so far  :)
Yay, updates! ;D

Ronin Tavic

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 2016 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #34 on: Oct 03, 2012, 11:15 PM »
Your gauntlets are amazing and SO detailed. o_o
I'll probably end up doing something not so complex just to be sure I meet my deadline, there will always be time for upgrades later :)
I just hit it with a small brush and some hobby paints after the final coat. silver, flat grey, and black.a little yellow on the missile tips. took me 30 minutes tops lol(well, the detail weathering, the rest was more time consuming...)
Hit the pieces with some black/brown wash! Looks good so far  :)
Yay, updates! ;D
I'm starting to think that's your answer for everything..  :P

Pre-App pics and upgrade thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=63828.15
"I only take 2 things seriously: the lives of my vode, and the deaths of my enemies"

Karvas Dral

• Poodoo.
« Reply #35 on: Oct 03, 2012, 11:18 PM »
You'd be surprised what a good wash can do. I wouldn't enforce if it doesn't work, I know firsthand  :laugh:

« Reply #36 on: Oct 05, 2012, 12:37 AM »
Ronin, It was well worth the time and effort! :) Looks great!

Karvas, Thanks again! I'll look into a black wash, I am gonna add it to my "to-do" list for this kit.

I'll just post it up here to keep myself in check for these last few weeks:

[] Get gloves
[] Make gauntlets
[] Shape back, and knee plates
[] Weather and paint: abdomen, backplate, knees, breast, and gauntlets
[] Attach T-Visor
[] Get some pouches for belt
[] Attach armor to flight suit and vest
[] Black wash~

Ronin Tavic

« Reply #37 on: Oct 05, 2012, 12:44 AM »
You got a lot to do in a little time vod'ika... got a base for your gauntlets yet?

Karvas Dral

• Poodoo.
« Reply #38 on: Oct 05, 2012, 12:46 AM »
Just wondering how you'll be attaching your visor?
AND BLACKWASH. YES.

Ronin Tavic

« Reply #39 on: Oct 05, 2012, 12:48 AM »
for clarification sake: How have you done black wash Karvas? I've heard of charcoal shavings in water...

Karvas Dral

• Poodoo.
« Reply #40 on: Oct 05, 2012, 01:08 AM »
From me? No. Lol. My wash is equal parts black acrylic and water, I dab it on family thick, let it dry then go about dabbing off any unwanted wash with an alcohol pad. Same for the brown wash, but I use a sienna brown, which kind of looks like rust so I apply that accordingly. I used some ground up charcoal and smeared it on the plates just to see if it would have any effect, it just got my hands dirty.

« Reply #41 on: Oct 17, 2012, 10:49 PM »
Quick update!
Finished all armor (except for gaunts ...)
Karvas, I also attached the visor with epoxy. :)
( Mostly... I have one corner I guess I missed that I'll need to reglue tomorrow.)

Ronin,
I believe I do, mine won't be anything special at the moment... just gonna get something super basic to meet my deadline. X(

I kind of swayed from my original black lines plan for the color scheme... just a bit though...
I'll redraw the concept art later on when I finish. :D

[ x ] Shape back, and knee plates
[ x ] Weather and paint: abdomen, backplate, knees, breast plates
[ x ] Attach T-Visor

[] Weapon - WIP Coming Soon!
[] Black wash - WIP Coming Soon!
[] Make gauntlets - WIP Coming Soon!

[] Get some pouches for belt
[] Attach armor to flight suit and vest
[] Get gloves

Karvas Dral

• Poodoo.
« Reply #42 on: Oct 17, 2012, 10:55 PM »
drybrush?
looks neat  ;D

Ronin Tavic

« Reply #43 on: Oct 17, 2012, 11:22 PM »
Looks good! Nice job on the the weathering. You could probably throw some basic gaunts together with some GIJoe guns and cups.. one day at goodwill should find something good.(or a brother's toy box.. I raided my old toys for mine lol)

Vhett Naast

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Best Newbie - Official Member in last 12 months with best costume Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #44 on: Oct 18, 2012, 12:25 AM »
Looks awesome vod  8)  like the style of chest plates you got going there.

You could probably throw some basic gaunts together with some GIJoe guns and cups.. one day at goodwill should find something good.(or a brother's toy box.. I raided my old toys for mine lol)

The flame thrower nozzles on my gaunts are that exactly, two of the large missile launchers that came with a Joe figure (duke?)

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!