Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Cabur Ijaat PI kit attempt two WIP

• 16 Replies
Cabur Ijaat PI kit attempt two WIP
« on: Jan 02, 2023, 05:55 PM »
Oya vode! I'm back with my latest attempt on my journey to OM. This will technically be my fourth kit  :laugh:.  I've learned a ton through the first three and am really pleased with my progress thus far!

Overall concept:

Quick disclaimer in these pictures: I'm working on an airsoft kit at the same time that I'm working on my OM kit as they will share color schemes and several parts.  I've been told my current chest plates wouldn't be approvable, which is fine.  They will be replaced by the Pre-Beskar plates from Mandalorian S1 and Axe Woves, etc.

The initial layout:

Bucket:

Various armor plates:

Here's the airsoft vest, which won't be approvable, but was phenomenal practice for paint and weathering for the rest of the kit.

Soft parts:
Gloves
Flight suit (currently awaiting shipping)

Currently in progress:
  • Westar 35
  • Gauntlets
  • Bucket electronics including hearing amplification, voice amplification, and fans.

« Last Edit: Apr 15, 2023, 12:10 PM by LaamycBeviin » Logged

OM#2860

trashcanmando

• This is all Karen Traviss' fault. they/them
Re: Laamyc Beviin PI kit attempt two WIP
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2023, 06:02 PM »
Looking great so far, vod! Excited to see this come together.

Krorr te Naast

• 𝘚𝘪 𝘷𝘪𝘴 𝘱𝘢𝘤𝘦𝘮 𝘱𝘢𝘳𝘢 𝘣𝘦𝘭𝘭𝘶𝘮
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2023, 08:37 PM »
Looks good! Can't wait to see it come together over time! Also, good choice of bucket. I'm going for a Vanguard bucket when I am able to get it! It looks sick!  :like:

"Through me you pass into the city of woe: Through me you pass into eternal pain: Through me among the people lost for aye." - Dante Alighieri

Talon Clan UM
MMCC Auxiliary
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2023, 10:15 AM »
I have successfully completed the Westar 35! It began life as a WE-Tech Galaxy Hi-Capa airsoft pistol. I resin printed the conversion kit, sanded everything smooth, painted and finally weathered to match the overall look of the kit.  I'm very pleased with the results!

OM#2860

trashcanmando

« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2023, 10:39 AM »
Westar buddies  ;D

Gonna have a non functional version for OM?

« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2023, 07:56 PM »
I'm a little torn, as I spent a lot of time on my fully resin printed DE-10:

OM#2860

trashcanmando

« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2023, 09:23 PM »
That is really gorgeous.

« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2023, 05:58 PM »
I've been hard at work to complete my armor, and I believe I'm in very good shape!

Armor complete!

I've also successfully cannibalized a Walker XCEL hearing protection headset to provide external hearing assistance and Bluetooth connectivity inside the bucket:

I intend to install these in place of the ear caps for close to 360 degree hearing.

Up next is weathering all of my leather soft parts and then I'm on to finalizing my flight suit and flak vest.

OM#2860

trashcanmando

« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2023, 11:49 PM »
Awesome paint job. Love how fast you're making progress! Can't wait to see this in person at the armor party.

« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2023, 11:51 PM »
Thanks! I'm looking forward to it! If things arrive when they are supposed to, I might be able to do one of my first kit ups!

OM#2860
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2023, 08:03 AM »
Progress continues!

I have finished with my visor tinting and installation and also made very good progress on soft parts.

Bucket:

Visor tabs:

Here's the updated two piece flight suit and vest. The vest and shirt are still a bit baggy and I'll be addressing that soon. Ignore the casual Mando footwear  :laugh:.

Plate sizing appears spot on, at least once my vest is appropriately taken in.

Last update is the completion of my belt! I'm super happy with the overall look, but still have a bit more weathering to finish this up completely.

Front:

Back:

OM#2860

trashcanmando

« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2023, 12:36 PM »
Cannot wait to see this all together. It's coming along so well. OYA!

« Reply #12 on: Feb 06, 2023, 06:25 PM »
I've been busting my shebs to get ready for a local con this past weekend and thanks to a ton of late nights and some last minute Vhett Manda assistance (in particular TrashcanMando!!) I made it to Pre-app!

Pictures first and then my own fix list!

Front:

Right:

Back:

Left:

Bucket off

Fix list!
- Boots and gloves weathering
- Apron & cummerbund need to be higher
- Fix exposed Velcro on cummerbund and spats
- exposed zipper tab on flightsuit
- knees need to be adjusted to remove float
- shoulder bells may need slight adjustment to ensure they stay above flak
- possible tailoring of flak to remove bunching around arm pits and possibly shorten as well
- possible additional weathering on leather belt and belt items and spats
- belt needs to be tighter to remove sag
- epaulettes should probably be shifted forward to be evenly spaced between back plate and chest armor
- day launcher bolts on knees should be filled and painted to match knees

Spat Velcro and knee bolts:

Flak bunching at arm pits example:

I'd love to hear additional thoughts on anything else people see. Feedback is welcome and encouraged!

OM#2860

trashcanmando

« Reply #13 on: Feb 06, 2023, 08:06 PM »
Kandosii! It was so great to see this kit all together for the first time yesterday. You're doing amazing. OYA!

Re: Cabur Ijaat PI kit attempt two WIP
« Reply #14 on: Apr 12, 2023, 05:09 PM »
Got a new flak vest that I'm much happier with and got the plates transferred!

I'll have more updates in the next couple of days as well!

Also, to acknowledge this particular kit, I've decided to change my Mando name from Laamyc Beviin to Cabur Ijaat!

4/20/23 update:

Made good progress on the fix list this week.
Current kit up (done completely by myself, so some fit and polish things will be better with assistance)

Lots of weathering of the soft parts!

More work to come on weathering through the weekend.

Once that is complete, I'll be finishing up the knee attachment fixes and putting the finishing touches on my buy'ce.

4/21/23 update!
Completed boot + spat weathering and worked on the flak some more as well!

« Last Edit: Apr 21, 2023, 01:12 PM by CaburIjaat » Logged

OM#2860

trashcanmando

« Reply #15 on: Apr 21, 2023, 09:59 PM »
Looking awesome, vod! Knocking it out of the park!

« Reply #16 on: Apr 25, 2023, 08:47 AM »
I've finally added hook and loop strips to the knees to remove the float I was getting and put the finishing touches on my buy'ce electronics.

I have a voice amp system with two speakers mounted behind the front slits of the Vanguard so it actually sounds like my voice is coming from my head and not my belt  :laugh:.

I also have two fans drawing through the rear slits. One blows air upward along the curve of the helmet and the other is feeding two aquarium tubes that blow directly over my visor.

Only thing left on the buy'ce is installing a hearing assist system and mounting the Vanguard ear caps. I'm planning on modifying the ear caps to contain the hearing assist mics once I have the system in hand.

Majority of the mounting was done with Sugru, a moldable glue that has worked incredibly well. I also used this for cable management and to insulate the speakers from the voice amp mic.

Padding is fairly limited due to the amount of electronics I've shoved inside, but it's comfortable and keeps everything in place.

The rest of my projects are not necessary for OM, but will still be fun. I'm planning on resin printing a nonfunctional Westar 35 to match the functional airsoft Westar 35 I made previously.

6/1/23 update:
I got my email this morning! I am now OM!! Very excited to have my first OM kit after working on several over the last eight years!

Here's one of my favorite pics from a recent photoshoot!

« Last Edit: Jun 01, 2023, 12:45 PM by CaburIjaat » Logged

OM#2860

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!